Best modern jazz albums from 1969 to 2019

Will do.

1 Like

But actually this music was recorded in 66…

Miles Smiles, from 1967, was the launch of modern jazz already. A departure of the jazz before. Not really jazz rock or fusion, but something else.

2 Likes

1 Like

This album brought jazz back to being acoustic music.

5 Likes

Hi Bob, I think so indeed. The harmonies used leaves me no other option. I do understand your hesitation though.

This was my first jazz record and itβ€˜s still one of my favs!

yes, very nice . however melancholic, not for every day.

1 Like

The most fusion of mongo albums, with eric gale, idris muhammad, hubert laws, steve gadd…Live

B1Jamaican Sunrise

Arranged By, Conductor – Jay ChattawayBass – Gary KingBongos – Mongo SantamariaDrums – Idris MuhammadFlute – Doug HarrisGuitar – Eric GalePercussion – Jimmy MaelenPiano – Barry MilesWritten-By – D. Harris*
5:54B2Afro-Cuban Fantasy
Arranged By, Conductor – Jay ChattawayBata – Hector Hernandez (4), Julio CollazoBata, Percussion [Guataca] – Mongo SantamariaBata, Shekere – Steve BerriosDrums – Steve GaddElectric Piano [Fender Rhodes], Electronic Drums [Electric Log Drums] – Bob JamesGuitar – Eric GaleSoprano Saxophone, Soloist – Mark ColbyWritten-By – J. Chattaway*
7:36B3Sambita
Arranged By, Conductor – Jay ChattawayBass – Lee Smith (3)Congas, Bongos, Soloist – Mongo SantamariaDrums, Percussion – Thelmo PortoFlute – Hubert LawsGuitar – Eric GalePiano – Bill O’ConnellWritten-By – J. Gellardo, J. Almario
5:45

Soft Machine … Now there’s a band to be reckoned with!

Soft Machine β€˜Third’ provided a pivotal listening experience for me back in 1970 and opened my ears to so much new music that I still enjoy today. I also thought that β€˜Fourth’ was a good album although it exposed the changes of direction that were taking place in the band with Elton Dead wanting to take the band closer to jazz. β€˜Fifth’ was a potential gem although it is an album of two sides, with Phil Howard drumming on one and John Marshall on the other. Soft Machine with Phil Howard was a wild experience! People might with to check out the album β€˜Drop’, released on Moonjune, a live recording that features Phil Howard throughout. I saw this lineup a couple of times and particularly recall a show at the Royal Albert Hall when Soft Machine supported Loudon Wainwright. Mike Ratledge struggled to play with Phil Howard and Elton Dean and Hugh Hopper looked, throughout the set, as if he didn’t know what was going on or how to play with these musicians. It was the closest that Soft Machine ever got to free jazz. It also lead to the departure of both Elton Dean and Phil Howard from the band. For me, that was the end of Soft Machine as a groundbreaking band.

Karl Jenkins was subsequently recruited. IMHO this was a big mistake. Hugh Hopper also thought it was a mistake and felt guilty as he had nominated Jenkins as the new recruit. The booklet notes for the album β€˜Softstage: BBC In Concert 1972’ reveal more about this. from that point on, Soft Machine became Riff Machine, with Jenkins’ laborious repetitive riffs forming the backbone of most of the new material. His saxophone playing was little better and I really didn’t like his keyboard work. I much preferred Elton Dean’s contribution on Fender Rhodes when he was in the band. While I enjoyed β€˜Six’ (I still have my white label acetate!), the writing was on the wall and Jenkins assumed greater control of the band, effectively ending their artistic credibility. There were moments after that. Roy Babbington’s bass, combined with Allan Holdsworth’s peerless guitar playing took the band in new directions but what was once groundbreaking music that defied categorisation had now become dull and uninspiring jazz/rock. Without Soft Machine, we probably wouldn’t have had Egg, Matching Mole, Hatfield and the North, National Health and the many other bands of that era who are now bundled into the category of Canterbury Music.I’m not a Karl Jenkins fan but they also serve who stand and riff!

3 Likes

3 Likes

• Drums – Tony Williams* (tracks: A1 to B), Jabali Billy Hart* (tracks: C1 to C3), James Levi (tracks: D1, D2)
  • Electric Bass – Paul Jackson (2) (tracks: D1, D2)
  • Electric Piano [Rhodes, Yamaha Electric Grand Piano], Clavinet [Hohner D6] – Mwandishi Herbie Hancock* (tracks: C1 to C3)
  • Electric Piano [Rhodes, Yamaha Electric Grand Piano], Synthesizer [Arp Odyssey, Arp String Ensemble], Clavinet [Hohner D6], Synthesizer [Micro-moog, Oberheim Polyphonic Synthesizer, Echoplex, Countryman Phase Shifter, Cry Baby Wah Wah] – Herbie Hancock (tracks: D1, D2)
  • Electric Piano [Yamaha Electric Grand Piano] – Herbie Hancock (tracks: A1 to B)
  • Engineer – David Rubinson, Fred Catero
  • Engineer [Assistant Live Audio] – Fundi (2)
  • Engineer [Assistant] – Chris Minto
  • Engineer [Live Audio] – Bryan Bell
  • Flute [Alto] – Mwile Bennie Maupin* (tracks: C1 to C3)
  • Guitar – Ray Parker Jr. (tracks: D1, D2)
  • Guitar, Synthesizer [Maestro Universal Synthesizer System, Maestro Sample & Hold], Talkbox [Voice Bag] – Wah Wah Watson* (tracks: D1, D2)
2 Likes

Notes

Jewel case
12-page booklet

Recorded on October 30-31, 1994 at Studio Marcadet, Paris, La Plaine St Denis, France and on February 6-7, 1995 at Clinton Studio, New-York City.

1 Like

acklist Masquer CrΓ©dits

A1 Greetings To Idris

Bass – Ray DrummondComposed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersDrums – Idris MuhammadGuitar – Carl LockettPiano – John HicksTenor Saxophone – Pharoah Sanders 7:25
A2 Doktor Pitt
Bass – Ray DrummondComposed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersDrums – Idris MuhammadFlugelhorn – Eddie HendersonPiano – John HicksTenor Saxophone – Pharoah Sanders 12:03
B1 Kazuko (Peace Child)
Composed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersHarmonium, Wind Chimes – Paul ArslanianKoto – Yoko Ito GatesTenor Saxophone – Pharoah Sanders 8:05
B2 After The Rain
Composed By – John ColtranePiano – Joe BonnerTenor Saxophone – Pharoah Sanders 5:32
B3 Soledad
Composed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersHarmonium – Bedria SandersSitar – James PomerantzTabla – Phil FordTenor Saxophone, Tambura – Pharoah Sanders 4:53
C1 You’ve Got To Have Freedom
Bass – Ray DrummondComposed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersDrums – Idris MuhammadFlugelhorn – Eddie HendersonPiano – John HicksTenor Saxophone – Pharoah SandersVocals – Bobby McFerrin, Donna (Dee Dee) Dickerson, Ngoh Spencer, Vicki Randle 8:03
C2 Yemenja
Bass – Ray DrummondComposed By, Arranged By – John HicksDrums – Idris MuhammadGuitar – Carl LockettPiano – John HicksTenor Saxophone – Pharoah Sanders 5:32
C3 Easy To Remember
Bass – Ray DrummondDrums – Idris MuhammadPiano – John HicksTenor Saxophone – Pharoah SandersWritten-By – Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers
6:22
D1 Think About The One
Bass – Joy JulksComposed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersDrums – Randy MerrittGuitar – Carl LockettLead Vocals – Claudette AllenPiano [Acoustic], Electric Piano – Joe BonnerShekere, Congas – BabatundeSynthesizer [Oberheim] – Mark IshamTenor Saxophone, Bells [Sleigh] – Pharoah SandersVocals – Bobby McFerrin, Donna (Dee Dee) Dickerson, Ngoh Spencer, Vicki Randle 4:11
D2 Bedria
Bass – Ray DrummondComposed By, Arranged By – Pharoah SandersDrums – Idris MuhammadGuitar – Chris HayesPiano – John HicksTenor Saxophone – Pharoah Sanders

1 Like

1 Like

Caught these guys in Ronnie Scott’s on a trip over to London.

2 Likes