Binge Worthy TV Series

Now he is a private eye still good old Bosch!

8 Likes

Binged the first series of Stranger Things on Netflix yesterday and really enjoyed it. Iā€™ll at least start series 2 later.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a great show which was perhaps before its time.

1 Like
  • Tales from The Loop (Prime)
    What a work of art! Truly a beauty to watch and although it seems like an anthology series, all the stories connect in the end. Every shot is simple. Everything in every shot is very deliberate. Everything looks like a painting or a staged photograph.
  • Night Sky (Prime)
    Truly intriguing premise. Not as calm and contemplative as Tales from The Loop but trying to do something unusual for sure. Season 2, if it ever gets made could see it go off the rails though. They set up something so utterly intense and potentially controversial at the end, tackling that properly probably means offending a lot of people of a certain disposition or copping out and getting cancelled with no Season 3.
  • Midnight Mass (Netflix)
    Itā€™s impossible to write a anything about this without ruining it. If Iā€™d looked it up on IMDB to just find out what genre it is, I would never have watched this in a hundred years. The genre falls into my trashcan genre group of things I wonā€™t touch because I think they are shallow and adolescent in some way. This was anything but. About 5 episodes in it shows itā€™s cards in a master stroke. Incredible performances.

Portals to Hell. Featuring Jack Osborne and Katrina Weidman. Gost hunting in some very fantastic locations. For example - The terrifying
Lalaurie Mansion in New Orleans.

amazon prime The Terminal List is an excellent action pack thriller! Donā€™t miss it

1 Like

My vote goes to the Outlaws ā€¦ on I Playerā€¦

5 Likes

Good choice. We enjoyed both series.

1 Like

Great series, and wasnā€™t it just great to see Christopher manage to ā€œWalkeniseā€ just about every scene in which he appeared.

The police interrogation, ending in ā€œwas that any help?ā€ had me falling off my seat.

4 Likes

I liked the lift sceneā€¦Series 2ā€¦ā€˜fungusā€™ ā€¦ awkward or whatā€¦ great cringeworthy moment!!

1 Like

Prisoners of war.
Originally on Channel 4 - I think!
Made in Israel - the forerunner and template for Homeland.
Dare I say it - better than Homeland.

4 Likes

Yes. I enjoyed the attention to detail, for instance:

which included the surveillance team complaining that they had insufficient eyes on the ground - explicitly explaining why they failed in due course; and
Taking a photo of a lock and practising before turning up to pick it.

Doesnā€™t stop a level of trope, such as people sheltering from bullets behind a vehicle, and I am not convinced about people being shot and still functioning at a high level, but as the writer is a SEAL Iā€™ll accept his knowledge is greater than mine :laughing:.

Looking forward to Series 2 - hopefully.

1 Like

Slow Horses on Apple TV - superb spy drama with an excellent cast

Mindhunter on NetFlix - 60ā€™s based docudrama of the FBIā€™s Behavioral Sciences Unit

5 Likes

Both are excellent shows, unfortunately thereā€™ll be no season 3 Mindhunter. Interestingly they made season 2 of Slow Horses at the same time as season 1, looking forward to its return.

1 Like

A shame about Mindhunter but certainly looking forward to the next season of Slow Horses as I am Channel 4ā€™s The Undeclared War which I also enjoyed immensely. My only criticism of both is they cast weirdos as brilliant computer geeks. Itā€™s creating an unnecessary stereotype but didnā€™t spoil my enjoyment.

1 Like

I see Shetland is kicking off again on bbc next week, always a great series. Think this might be just a 3 parter though.

3 Likes

We really enjoyed the Undeclared War, didnā€™t think there were any stereotypes in that.

1 Like

Great series, I think 6 episodes.

Is there anyone left alive in the Shetlands to sustain another series?

4 Likes

Pete_the_painter

ā€œWe really enjoyed the Undeclared War, didnā€™t think there were any stereotypes in thatā€.

The main characterā€™s friend from Uni who got a job in another dept. at GCHQ was stereotyped I felt. The actor played him as the sort of guy whose IQ is off the scale, has no social skills and is aware of their own brilliance with computers to the point of arrogance.

1 Like