Binge Worthy TV Series

Not really we just choose to ignore it as it’s not on our doorstep.

History shows that one pack of animals invading the area of another pack of animals is not unique and even goes back to when life was unicellular organisms. In fact it’s been one of the main drivers of evolution - without competition for resources it’s probable life would never have evolved! The question is how far back should we go before we no longer feel any guilt? Vikings invading Britain? Should we be railing against the Nordic races for their overrun of Britain and the European continent c. 2000 years ago? What about when modern man invaded and wiped out the neanderthals - was that okay?

4 Likes

Hi Pete,

I won’t repeat @Mike_S , although I do associate myself with his remarks.

To your point about learning:
Empires are not monolithic, they change and adapt over time. Looking at the 1st and 2nd British Empires does show that they were capable of such learning.

The loss of the North American colonies led to the far sighted settlement with Canada and then Australia. These in turn then led to the settlements with the Commonwealth.

To your point about oppression:
I would argue that earlier empires, and other European empires, were far more oppressive than the British. Ours was, in the main, a trading Empire. As a part of this we introduced systems of law, transport and education. After all, we wanted to invest and allow those people to get their money back. Whilst there will be negatives that can be pointed at this also led to the modern world, including: lowering poverty; death; and, disease.

Broad brush condemnation needs to give way to nuance.

I would recommend Empire by Niall Ferguson.

Ultimately what led to the end of the British Empire was, in part:

• The education and ethics taught within the Empire;
  • Two World Wars
    And here I like AJP Taylor’s view that we were the hero of WWII, as we knew that in standing up to The Third Reich we were surrendering our world position, rather than acceding to Hitler’s tempting blandishments (one of the reasons why Churchill will always be a hero in my eyes); and
  • US Foreign Policy
    Which, post WWII, was to break the link between the UK and India (for understandable reasons).

M

6 Likes

Sorry you’re entitled to your point of view but I believe its very naive. I won’t go any further or respond as it will definitely lead to censorship by Richard.

Back to usual programming.

3 Likes

Couldn’t watch Masterchef The Professionals - I wonder the wisdom of giving someone a meat cleaver, putting them under pressure and asking them to do something they hadn’t done before. They were lucky not to have a remake of a Michael Myers film

The producers need to go on a heath and safety course.

A few years ago, they did a similar test (from memory with a deboned shoulder of lamb) , results predictably horrendous. The next day , I went into our local butcher where three shoulders that had been suitably deboned in the afore-mentioned test were laid out.

Butcher was scathing, saying that no chef would do that, they would ask him to prepare it

Agreed. I too watched in horror. The first contestant obviously hadn’t performed this type of butchery and was lucky not to be injured… not good.

1 Like

DARK on Netflix

You’ll need your thinking cap on but one of the best produced we have seen in a good while… nothing quite matches FARGO though.

5 Likes

Seconded! Currently half way through the 2nd season

Of which William?

@Aikidoamigo DARK (in the original German)

1 Like

Not sure if it qualifies as a binge watch at 7 or so episodes but Astrid, Murder in Paris is being enjoyed here. French with sub titles on More 4.

Quirky but interesting juxtaposition of an autistic/aspergers file keeper’s involvement with a loosely organised edge of procedure detective.

1 Like

Just wondering how you guys are feeling about the new season of The White Lotus?

While there’s no denying that it’s a beautiful cast (actually very beautiful) however apart from sex the story doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. I keep thinking somethings going to break each week but it doesn’t. It just ends up in bed again.

I’ve just finished “Entrapped” and series 1 of “Trapped”, though in the wrong order (that doesn’t matter much, as they are pretty independent of each other). Both are really good I thought, strong storyline with twists and turn, strong characters and sub-plots and gorgeous scenery as well. Just series 2 of “Trapped” to go.

I might check that out, beautiful and with sex huh?

1 Like

I’m really enjoying it. There is a sense of foreboding that is gradually ratcheting up. We know from the 1st episode (spoiler alert) that there are 4 deaths. So who will they be? Also quite apart from the sex, the scenery is stunning, some of the most beautiful I have seen on TV. Overall a sumptuous and engaging production. There are also references to old Italian movies from Antonini eg the men surrounding Harper like they did in L’Aventura (1960).

I can’t find it, what channel is it on?

Ok apart from the sex, the beautiful women and the scenery what else has happened. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

It’s on Foxtel here (cable).

Neon in NZ, worth a 1 month subscription, better than most mini-series on the goggle box.

1 Like