Binge Worthy TV Series

The Bear is absolutely brilliant best thing I’ve seen in a long long time.

Finally watched Chernobyl last week which is also top notch

3 Likes

Which platforms are they on?

The Bear is Disney + and is a brilliant series with unique angle & ideas. I enjoyed series 1 and have yet to crack on with series 2.

1 Like

You’re in for a treat when you do get around to watching season 2. Best thing I’ve watched in a long time.

Episodes 6&7 are a particular highlight.

1 Like

Streaming on Netflix: Heartstopper S2
Another outstanding production from See-Saw films, with another great soundtrack
Be sure to watch S1 first though

Three Body

On YouTube, all thirty one hour episodes.

Your view on this series will be influenced by a number of factors including: are you into hard sci-fi? Are you OK with subtitles? Are you influenced by the fact that this is produced by China? Do you need pyrotechnics?

I love the author’s ideas. This series follows the novel very closely and builds on the human interrelationships.

Looking at the areas I mention above:
Hard Scifi
This doesn’t mean realistic, according to our current understanding. But, I would contend that you are avoiding fantasy. There needs to be some relation to reality. For me this series falls solidly into the hard sci-fi category, chiefly referencing cosmology and theoretical physics.

Where the TV series improves on the novel is by successfully fleshing out the human relations.

Subtitles
No way round this if you are not Chinese. There is also poor English dubbing and occasional soundtrack drop out.

Chinese Production
Yes, the world building is not truly addressed. The world appears to be divided into broad areas of control, and all the leaders are male and uniformed.

The concepts in this novel are such that to try and address the political world building would, I believe, would have bogged the novel and the series down, and distracted from the SCIENCE FICTION elements.

In some ways the series reminded me of UK series and films up to the 1980s, where government institutions were portrayed as good and positive. Whilst some may see this as naive I think it is healthier than rampant paranoia. I could just see it as a part of the fictional narrative.

That said, I definitely watched this with my critical facilities engaged.

Pyrotechnics
This series takes a leisurely pace. I did not mind this, indeed I think it added weight as you saw the journey of ‘The Commander’. Also, when action took place it was well produced and had impact.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and hope that they can produce ‘The Dark Forest’ in faster time than the seven years I believe this took.

I suspect it will not be for everyone, and also that it will be a LOT better than the soon to come Netflix version.

M

4 Likes

The Detectorists … charmingly funny…very well shot…try it.

11 Likes

71Ds7faQ2GL.AC_UY436_QL65

I have just had to binge watch the last & final season of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel on Amazon prime (I had a 1 week trial :slightly_smiling_face:). This series was slightly different in the way it handled the various timelines but still very good and a good way to end. The whole 5 seasons have been very good; good writing & good characters which held up all the way through. It was definitely the right thing to do to bring it all to a close but this ending has left me with quite a hole and I will miss the characters - not often you can truly say that about a series.

3 Likes

I stopped watching 1/2 way through season 4 but went back a few months ago and watched to the end. Really enjoyed it and glad I fell back in love with it. Well worth binging.

2 Likes

I have to agree Pete, Season 4 did dip but being a ‘completist’ I just wanted to finish and season 5 was worth it.

1 Like

One of the best things the Beeb has made imo.

2 Likes

Yes, it is quite brilliant all round, with so many subtleties, it is easy to watch again and again.

It was made by Channel X and Lola Entertainment, some of the most sublime TV I’ve seen in ages.
Martin

Due to a free 3 month Apple TV subscription we are binging ‘The Morning Show’. Should just get all three seasons in before it runs out.

G

But you also need to watch Slow Horses, Bad Sisters, Invasion and Foundation!

2 Likes

Slow Horses :100: :heart:

3 Likes

Definitely Slow Horses, season 3 is coming soon as well.

1 Like

Just finished the whole of Games of Thrones. Thoroughly enjoyable rollercoaster of drama and emotions. I’ll miss it, but might do a re-run some time.

6 Likes

Was good only let down by a poor (imo) last season.

2 Likes

Long Shadow, very mixed feelings about it , a boiling anger at the myopic thinking of the police , knowing that they were ham-strung by a manual card index system ( and in today’s terms ) a very basic laptop would have collated the material.

I’m not sure how Binge Worthy it is , as ideally you should be able to watch for hours , this sris you may want to take a break.

The acting is superb and the 1980s wall paper was reproduced in it’s full horrors.

It must be in the running at the BAFTAs

1 Like