Binge Worthy TV Series

I’m familiar with Witcher the game in Playstation platform. I have been waiting eagerly to see how it works in other type of entertainment. At least the world and characters in game are one of the better ones to work with. I’m going to dive in the series some time soon when I have an energy to focus properly.

New Sherlock - brilliant acting and I particularly enjoyed the style they decided to present these familiar characters to audience.

Started this last night it was not bad at all. I guess they are looking for a programme to fill her GoT demographic.

I got a bit bored early on in the 1st episode and thought there was some uninspiring acting from a few of the ‘royals’.

Interestingly I though the slow motion fight scene where he disposes of the gang was extremely well done - those kind of scenes normally annoy me a great deal.

Nodded during episode 2, so must start that over again.

Rather more magic than politics and intrigue, but equal amounts of nudity and violence.

The story telling method is rather good, which you dicover as the series moves forward.

The stories are hardly original, but the characterisations reeled me in.

That first major fight scene was excellent. In one of the middle episodes the director ops for shakey cam, which was a shame.

The first couple of episodes are on the slower side, but kept me enagaged and things pick up nicely.

1 Like

Yes I like the story mechanism, and that you have to work out how it fits in the timeline rather than shouting it out like most shows do.

One of the best shows on Netflix is the kominsky method with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. I also like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000.

3 Likes

Finished watching the Drake backed 2nd series of Top Boy on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. Frightening and a brutal portrayal of the other side life in our cities.

Features a future star in Michael Ward (recent BAFTA rising star award winner). This guy is going places. :ok_hand:t5:

Great performance from Kano too.

2 Likes

I missed this first time around, but I think it sums up ‘Cool Britannia’. In many way I’m glad I was not in the country when it was screened; then again it’s not ‘the young ones’! (Thanks to Wikipedia for the photos)

2 Likes

Started this tonight, rather good, and intense.

1 Like

Ragnorok - Netflix

Only six episodes, but I enjoyed it. Based in Norway it plays on Norse mythology with a modern twist or two.

2 Likes

After seeing the first 8 episodes of Witcher
I agree with you. It’s not trying to be next GoT and that to me is nothing but a good thing. I enjoyed the pace of storytelling the most.
They got me hooked and now I want more. A new season announcement made my day.

1 Like

Hi Perttu,

I enjoyed it enough to start working my way through the books; impatience strikes again!

M

Had to do some research to find out I had a wrong assumption about the origin of the Witcher. For some reason I had this idea that the series was based on the console game. Haha, should have known better! Though the third witcher game is regarded as one of the best of it’s genre in last decade the written material surely betters it providing the base to build upon.

My grown-up kids enjoyed it but my daughter said she detected a change in direction half-way through where the characters continuity didn’t ring true?

We’ll give it a go.

G

Giri/Haji on iPlayer. Brilliant drama about organised crime set in London and Tokyo. Brilliant story and great acting. My favourite series of 2019

3 Likes

New series of “Better Call Saul” on Netflix. :+1:

5 Likes

Answer to the best binge-worthy series has to be Blood and Tits - sorry, Game of Thrones.

However a great one I have just stumbled across on Netflix is Chocolate. It is Korean, with subtitles, and starts off enjoyable enough but a bit uncertain - then it starts to bite. We’ve been watching for 3 days now, up to episode 10 and can’t stop to go to bed! Works on several levels - primarily it is a love story, but so much more! Oh to be able to taste the food!!!

Star Trek: Picard

Well, here is a series I avoided after the abomination of Discovery, but a friend recommended it and so I gave it a go.

This is NOT Star Trek, but I really enjoyed it.

Why did I say it is NOT Star Trek?

1. ST is built upon a vision of a positively resolved humanity existing within a federation of morally correct & supportive engaged civilisations. This was laid out by Roddenbury and it was, in part, to escape these strictures that Jar Jar Abrams introduced the appalling Kelvin timeline. In this series the Federation is a shrunken and compromised institution;

2. The characters within the series suffer from the pains and travails of our current world;

3. For some reason money has become a thing again;

4. F bombs are scattered in the dialogue for no great effect.

I could go on, but these are really careless details that could easily have been written around and actually could distract you from a rather good story arc which fundamentally addresses themes the that ST has always majored upon, such as what IS it to be human. The flaws written into the Federation and the characters could be easily argued as supporting more adult themes.

Yes, some of the dialogue clunks, yes some moments appear unearned, yes there is a level of virtue signalling, and a degree of emotional wringing. But, the production values are superb, the story is very watchable, the emotional beats work and the climax works in a very ST way.

I was pleasantly surprised and watched it in three sittings.

3 Likes