Binge Worthy TV Series

Thx Richard

Ragnarok
Netflix.
Series 2 recently dropped and I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed both series. As you would expect it is full of riffs on Norse mythology. In this world the giants still exist whilst the Gods appear to have disappeared. As a family return to their home town the eldest son is approached by an old woman, and so events start to unfold.

Lucifer
Now Netflix.
I am glad to say that over all I think the show runners have avoided fumbling the ball, although the show may verge a bit too close to formulaic and Lucifer is perhaps too watered down. It certainly bares no relationship to the source Gaiman written comics, for better or worse.

The series was due to end with the season, in the event another season has been ordered which may account for the slightly strange feel of the ending. It’s a wrap, oh, no it isn’t.

Castlevania
Netflix
There are aspects to this I do enjoy and others I could well lose, but enough of interest had me back for this final season.

M

Highly recommend Justified on Prime. A modern day western with great baddies. Particularly Margot Martindale in season 2

4 Likes

SPIRAL- ALL EPISODES ON BBC iPlayer

French police/ judiciary crime drama. Joint production with BBC 4. In French so need to concentrate on subtitles if you don’t speak French.
8 series. 84 episodes so a significant investment.
Absolutely brilliant. Am on series 6 and still engaging and exciting rather than past it’s sell by date.

8 Likes

Completely agree. One of the very best in my view.

1 Like

Just finished watching Hinterland on Netflix. Been out a while just never got round to it. Fantastic procedural cop show with a bit of scandi noir set in Wales. Great characters, photography and plot. And for once an over arcing story that resolves well. It has however put me off going to that part of Wales, comes across more like the location in deliverance and it has a high murder rate but undeniably beautiful at times.and when the weather allows.

3 Likes

New season of Bosch

Never dissapoints

Best Show on amazon prime

7 Likes

The wife and I like Bosch currently halfway through the last season.

Also The Shield, Chicago PD and The Americans are up there too.

1 Like

Love Bosch …love the character Barrel…knew a guy just like that…so good.

The Expanse is also quite good…

Over the weekend The Termagant and I watched all 10 episodes of the superb French thriller Lupin on Netflix – quite the most brilliant series I have seen since Mad Men. Clever, exciting, full of unexpected twists, once it gets going it’s inbelievably compellng. Omar Sy is just sublime in the lead role. If you don’t speak French, it’s available with subtitles (I think there’s a dubbed version too, if you don’t like subbies…

5 Likes

Clarkson’s Farm
If you can get past the Superannuated Top Gear style, this is actually a very informative and eye opening series about the considerable challenges of modern day farming in the UK. Farmers are saying that this series may have done much more to communicate their challenges than umpteen years of Countryfile has ever done. And it’s fun too if you appreciate Clarkson’s sharp, but ‘Lad’ humour.

6 Likes

I very enjoyed Clarkson’s Farm. Entertaining and funny but I also leant a lot and now have even higher respect for the challenges faced by farmers.

2 Likes

Norsemen, on Netflix. For me, a very funny counter to shows like Vikings. Apparently each scene was filmed twice: once in Norwegian and once in English.

1 Like

I too have watched Clarkson’s farm and thoroughly enjoyed it as I did James May in Japan.

For me, the weather means am I going to get wet or burnt at work or can I wash the car?

Notwithstanding his mistakes, ineptitude and inexperience, Jeremy’s series clearly showed that not only do farmers have to work hard, they have to know a lot, and effectively "live or die " within the vagaries of the weather.

I hope there is a second series.

4 Likes

True re the vagaries of the weather and the challenges but people like Clarkson tend to fall in to the ‘Gentleman farmer’ bracket, whereby they have alternative wealth and the farm can be just a hobby (tenanted?), with break-even being the goal/even a loss is tolerable in the wider scheme of tax management and living in a substantial ‘tied’ house. Of course, some don’t run things this way and try to maintain a strong & sustainable business.

At least Jezza calls things as he sees them and it’s not all fluffy sheep and rare breed management, which tends to be the staple of Countryfile.

Jeremy said that he was extremely fortunate in having alternative income streams.

Whilst he can afford to be a “gentleman farmer”, I think that whist he is physically able to do what needs doing, his heart is really into the farm and he will continue to invest his time and money in it.

To give him his due some of his ideas ( natural areas, owl and kestrel boxes, encouraging growth in the woodland etc) seem really sound.

As age takes its toll, I am sure Kaleb and some new recruits can take a functioning, environmentally conscious farm forwards.

2 Likes

Maybe I missed it in the thread but for me the absolute peak is The Wire, don’t think anything has come close to how well made and thorough the characters are developed , including their flaws.

Amazing how many of the actors all pop up in many of the series listed here.

After that I moved to the Sopranos, which is excellent but it isn’t the match of The Wire in my opinion.

More lighthearted fare would include Brooklyn 99 and if a fan of the Inbetweeners then It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which can be truly base but always has plenty of cringe laughter, it made the creator enough money to buy a stake in Wrexham FC.

We have watched the first two episodes so far - my father in law is a farmer (originally dairy and now has a few sheep in retirement) while my younger daughter wants to be a farmer (she has 40-odd ewes I think - but is going to sell some for while she is away at university studying agriculture hopefully from this September).

All three of us enjoyed it - my daughter particularly enjoyed his sheep adventure and provided a regular commentary on his mistakes.

JC does seem to be a reasonable sport about it (or at least the image he is carefully portraying gives that impression) and I have read some of his interesting comments on the farming exploits in the Sunday Times over the last year or so

2 Likes

Possibly no second series