Binge Worthy TV Series

I hope this is wrong. I watch very little on mainstream tv: if it was just me in the house I would not watch “live” TV.

Jeremy Clarkson in conjunction with Andy Wilman make very watchable programmes.

Hopefully, James May will get to do his second " Japan" series…

We don’t have TV Aerial nor a satellite dish. We’ve been internet only telly for 4 months now.

1 Like

Is that the anime series? I might check that one out!

For those that like that kind of stuff there are a number of great anime classics available on Netflix, some of my favorites are:

• Samurai Champloo
  • The Seven Deadly Sins (first 3 seasons are best)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2 versions, the newer one named ‘Brotherhood’ is better)
  • One Punch Man (first season is best)
  • The Heroic Legend of Arslan

We both enjoyed ‘Lupin’ too. Having recently visited Paris and the Louvre episode 1 had us hooked!

G

1 Like

I haven’t seen it yet, but it’s in my queue.

2 Likes

Hi litem,

Yes. There is a lot to like, although the final ending was a bit pedestrian. The only thing which annoyed me was the profanity, which was completely superfluous.

Some good narrative flourishes and artwork.

If you like anime have you seen Paprika? My eldest popped into town last week to see it and recommended it. I have bought the DVD, but I haven’t been able to see it yet.

M

1 Like

I have yes, it’s considered to be somewhat of a classic by director Satoshi Kon (one of the more acclaimed anime directors in Japan). I personally found it a bit too abstract / psychedelic for my personal tastes, but it’s definitely an interesting film!

Any recommendations beyond Studio Ghibli?

M

For films you mean?

Most anime is in the form of series, but there are a number of really good films around too. There are the classics that many people outside of the anime world may have also heard of, such as:

• Akira (imdb)
  • Ghost in the Shell (imdb)

Both of those are post-apocalyptic / sci-fi themed.

Another older film i like a lot is:

For more modern films these are a few that i like:

From director Makoto Shinkai:

• 5 Centimeters Per Second (imdb)
  • Your Name (imdb)
  • The Garden of Words (imdb)

From Mamoru Hosoda, who is also behind the Samurai Champloo series i mentioned in the earlier post:

• Mirai (imdb)
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (imdb)
  • Wolf Children (imdb)

(he has a new film out in 2021 which i haven’t seen yet)

From Naoko Yamada:

• A Silent Voice (imdb)

Not strictly anime but an animation / live action hybrid that i really enjoyed:

1 Like

Well, it appears that there will be a second series of “Clarkson’s Farm”.

Hopefully it will reach the same standards of the first.

4 Likes

I agree, I absolute loved Dark.

Bosch, money heist, ozark all great mentions.

I didn’t see true detective mentioned, season 1 is excellent and a must watch in my opinion.

In the same vein I massively enjoyed season 1 of sinner.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone else has seen it (all three series are on BBC iPlayer) but Motherland - a comedy about a group of disorganised, catty, dysfunctional middle class parents in London, is gut-bustingly hilarious. Diane Morgan and Anna Maxwell Martin are both brilliant.

10 Likes

I’ve now watched McCartney 3, 2, 1 which I mentioned on July 17. And … it’s a joy!

Paul McCartney and Rick Rubin deconstruct songs and delve into Macca’s writing process, with the help of a mixing desk and old piano. Melody simply pours out of the man.

Strongly recommended for anyone who’s ever loved a McCartney tune.

2 Likes

Added to my watchlist.

McCartney - Depending on whether they want moolah I’ll take a gander.

Have you watched Rick Beato’s channel on YT?
Rick Beato

Really interesting as well.

1 Like

No, but I’ll check it out.

McCartney is on Hulu, so you need a subscription. That’s the official answer ; )

The Witcher Season 2

I thoroughly enjoyed Season1, which included one of the rare superb uses of a fragmented time line.

So, how was Season 2?

Let me mention the one demerit, the word f**k. Why oh why do script writers have to overuse this word when allowed to use it? On the whole I associate the overuse of this word with a poor education. In The Witcher we are looking at the cream of their societies, such as Mages, Aristocracy and Witchers. These people may well swear, but I do not believe that their vocabulary would be limited to one Anglo-Saxon expletive.

With that out of the way, here we have a linear time line with Ciri now together with Geralt. The backdrop is the movement of Elves as they are persecuted and looking for some deliverance from a bleak childless future. Early on the three main female characters discover a hut within which each is promised some form of deliverance. Acting on what they have learned the action of the series swings into motion.

In the meanwhile Geralt takes Ciri to the home of the Witchers both for training and safety.

As the series progresses various antagonist pursue Ciri nd in doing so deliver us more information as to who and what she is.

The series ends with a good conclusion and the main foundations in place for an interesting Series 3.

As with the earlier series of Game of Thrones this series delivers action, intrigue and politics in a well written and delivered way; if only they could prune some of the OTT pointlessly base language.

M

1 Like

Watched and rewatched over time! When they go off to the cottage…!

Great ensemble cast.

G

Will check it out thanks.

If you like family stories: “This Is Us”. Fabulous, and elegantly solves a common problem of story telling in TV series

1 Like