Binge Worthy TV Series

ARCANE

Great story with amazing animation where every frame looks like a painting, the debut show was No. 1 on Netflix in 38 countries on release!

From the creators of League of Legends. Set in the utopian region of Piltover and the oppressed underground of Zaun, the story follows the origins of two iconic League champions and the power that will tear them apart.

1 Like

Oh yes.
That will fill out New Year celebration boredom.
‘Transcendent animation.’… Rotten Tomatoes review.

1 Like

Last night I binge-watched the BBC’s A Very British Scandal, based on the story of the bitter 1963 divorce of the Duke and Duchess of Argyll – the biggest media story of its time. The two leads, Claire Foy and Paul Bettany, were both excellent, and the production values were very high. As a true Englishman, I like watching ghastly toffs being beastly to each other, then getting their come-uppance.

4 Likes

I watched it as well but couldn’t really get on with it. I agree that both leads were great but all the characters were such ghastly people that I couldn’t care for any of them. I know it is a bit like comparing apples and pears but I much preferred the previous A Very British Scandal with Hugh Grant as Jeremy Thrope. It had a sense of humour that was missing from this one

4 Likes

I quite liked A Very British Scandal… But its hardly a binge… Only 3 episodes…

Best ever (IMO) - and longest - Spiral - 8 Series…!!

Also very, very good:

The Bridge - 4 Series…

The Killing - 3 series…

You might conclude I like Scandi Noir…

4 Likes

I think that was part of the point, Crispy. The aristocracy have for the most part always been dreadful. If you want to see the Duchess of Argyll in her true (appalling) colours, look no further than her 1970s memoir, Forget Not: the stench of entitlement seeps out from the very pages on which the words are printed. It was given overwhelmingly bad reviews when it was published, and the plebs didn’t buy it either.

Are you going to the game tomorrow?

2 Likes

Absolutely. You?

Waiting to see if my mate can come up with a ticket. Selhurst Park is actually the nearest ground to me and I always enjoy going there. Decent bunch, Eagles fans – and noisy too, which I like.

1 Like

If you get there you can hear our collection of pre-match music which includes the brilliant theme music from The Long Good Friday!
“Laandan, greatest city in the world!” (You have to say that in your best Bob Hoskins accent). I was reminded of that line by the latest book you posted in the What Are You Reading thread!

4 Likes

It was very good - but I think the problem with these sorts of productions is that they change events and characters to ‘enhance’ the story or drama - so you really don’t know what is true and what is not. There was an agenda here, I think, to some extent. However, as you say, they were both pretty awful people (assuming that this production portrayed them reasonably accurately - a big assumption, of course).

1 Like

Are toffs any more ghastly than other people?

1 Like

I prefer to judge on a case-by-case basis. But a sizeable majority of toffs suffer from a sense of entitlement that edges them toward ghastliness…

1 Like

I suppose it depends upon what you consider to be a ‘toff’ - I would say that it is often the possession of large amounts of money that tends to encourage people to feel entitled and ghastly.

1 Like

I have been watching season 4 of “Cobra Kai” on Netflix. A great series and fun to watch!

1 Like

Hi Geoff,

I am working my way through this. I ABSOLUTELY agree that the animation is excellent, I am less sure about the story which has elements that I think are too weighty for the violent fluff that this ultimately is, OK for adults but not good fodder for younger minds methinks - should be 18.

M

1 Like

The Expanse

Continues to deliver.

Not quiet so punctilious with the scientific representation, but I am happy to accept that they have ticked that box and are concentrating more on delivering the narrative.

Although there is a time jump in the story coming up I hope that they can find a way to continue the series and NOT take a leave of absence.

M

Oooh. A new season of Expanse?! Will dive into that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some great series to watch, In no particular order;

The Handmaid’s Tale
Halt and Catch Fire
Mr Robot
Comrade Detective
Black Sails
Vikings

Arrested Developments
Ozark
Black Mirror
Dark
The Queen’s Gambit
Narcos

Some of the other more popular have already been mentioned.

1 Like

What better when the days are grotty .

More to be rationed than binged

4 Likes

One that I haven’t seen mentioned is Modern Family. Now this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but if you start and the characters & the humour (note the non-Wordle spelling!) gel with you then you are in for a treat. I remember the reviews and recommendations when this series first started but it took me a while to get the right streaming platform. Once I started then I found each series equally sharply written & observed - quite a feat for the 11 series run that it had. Worth a look.

6 Likes