Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Lovely stuff. I do like your bird in flight images!

1 Like

It is indeed a starling,

Pretty impressive, i only saw a glimpse of one at Minsmere…….it disappeared into the reeds very quickly👍

If you want ot see a bittern, RSPB Ham Walls on the Somerset levels is the place. I’m not a photographer but we had a great 180 degree fly past on my last visit. Always lots of booming.

1 Like

The anatomy of a dive.

There were two males fishing, interesting they used different techniques, while one tended to go in dart like, the other was using his wings as brakes.

7 Likes

After a succesful dive, this one followed a regular sequence, eating a couple of fish, then the third he’d turn so it was head outwards, cheep, then fly off, clearly for the missus who is now otherwise engaged.

7 Likes

Yeah they are often around in reed beds in this part of the world, but usually really hard to get to, at least at minsmere you have easy access via the hides.
They are funny things, as they skulk around low and are hard to see, and then occasionally will raise their head and necks to catch insects and of course for the males, boom. If you see reeds moving, keep patient, and you may see the head of a bittern… and then if you are super patient it might stretch its neck.

The other bird I love to photograph at this time of year is the curlew, especially in flight. So my next agenda

1 Like

Love kingfishers we get them down by river, very hard to catch with a bloody iPhone.

2 Likes

Yep camera phones (well my iPhone 15 at least) are great for certain things… especially social snaps… but wildlife (and air shows!) they are cr*p… at least for me. They are also prone to irritating flaring… at least iPhones are.

Not much today

Canada Geese

Garganey (on the left)

12 Likes

From a trip to the Aberdeenshire cliffs last week.

Above the maelstrom

Fulmars

Kittiwakes

Razorbill

Cheers,

Ian

14 Likes

Haven’t we all been busy!

3 Likes

Brilliant

1 Like

We have haven’t we, I think it’s great!

2 Likes

Some of us :rofl:

2 Likes

The first Swallow returned to our carport this morning. It always feels like the start of summer. They nest in our carport as well as three neighbours. Sadly we have noticed a decline in numbers in the last few years as well as an increase in predation of the young by Magpies.

My wife records the dates of the first return which have been always between April 1st and the 18th.

1 Like

I do the same but we live on a hill ridge that is a swallow migratory highway.
I also note the dates of first cuckoo call, normally from 14-April.

1 Like

This morning, I saw my first House Martin of the year. It kept going though, so no doubt on its way somewhere else. No sign of any of our local nesters, yet.

1 Like

I wondered what a magpie was doing at a seed feeder, when I looked closer, this is what I found.

2 Likes

yep.