Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Thank you.

I will admit this though:

The birds were all on the ground, close to the Ouse at Lakenheath Fen. I knew if I left it up to them, they’d fly away from me at slightly different times, in small numbers. So I waved my arms around, and the whole flock took off!

1 Like

Poor form, flushing birds just to get the photo you wanted.

3 Likes

The greylags were all taking off anyway, when I was within thirty metres or so, whether I was on the bank path or the lower flood area. Very twitchy birds. The swans and canada geese had more staying power, just going into the river and keeping an eye on me.

I totally agree. Deliberately scaring birds for the sake of a photo ??

1 Like

I’ll try to keep this clear and simple.

I doubt very much I scared the geese off any more than if I had just carried on walking, they just flew off in anticipation a little sooner than they would have.

Do you stay in your house, never driving or walking in the countryside? If not, I hope you never, ever disturb any wildlife at all. And I really hope you never tread on any insects or snails etc while you’re out walking, because you had the choice to stay at home.

I’ve not eaten meat for 24 years. Unless you can say you don’t eat meat, especially birds, then… well…

Strange response. I haven’t eaten meat for over 30 years, not that it’s particularly relevant. More relevant, perhaps, is working in conservation for 25+ years where I’ve seen numerous instances of photographers disturbing wildlife to obtain a better photo. Which has at times lead to chicks or eggs perishing. I’ve actually witnessed photographers moving eggs in a nest for a better photo!

You say they were very twitchy birds, perhaps they were disturbed by your presence, or had just arrived and were looking to settle. Still no reason to “wave your arms around”.

It’s this kind of behaviour that can give wildlife photographers and twitchers (another topic) a bad reputation. If you can’t get the photo you want it’s unfortunate, but there’s no justification to disturb wildlife.

2 Likes

On a lighter note :slight_smile: Pulborough Brooks today

Lapwing

White Tailed Eagle!!!

No Idea (Wren?)

Bullfinch?

Redshank?

7 Likes

Nice to be back on topic again. Yes, Wren and Redshank, but Goldfinch rather than Bullfinch.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m a birder (not a twitcher) and a photographer so kinda understand the temptation to get a ‘better’ picture.
It reminds me of an event I watched in Kruger N.P. (I’ve spent more time in East & Southern Africa photo’ng wildlife than I have in UK/Ire)
In the public area of Kruger you can self drive, but the rules on leaving your car are strictly NO-NO except at specified locations. I was alone watching a breeding herd of ele’s all quietly browsing on the bush. A car arrived to join the viewing, after about 10 minutes they seemed to get bored of the quiet heads in the bush browsing so started shouting (I assume trying to attract the ele’s) to get ‘better’ face on views.
That didn’t work so the driver got out and waved his arms around … and yes you’ve guessed it, it ended badly, a fiesty teenage bull took exception and came to sort it out … one very dented car later … I gave them my details for an insurance claim, but never heard anything.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, I pretty much agree with you. I tread very lightly wherever I go. But, the main path for visitors is very close to where there were, and as the 9am rush came through, everything scattered anyway.

But how about this for frustrating:

Sat down in Mere Hide at about 6.20am, sorted my stuff and brought my binoculars up to my eyes. Heard a ‘plop’ sound, took the bins away from my face, and there, ten feet away, a kingfisher with a fish in its beak, hovering, looking at me. Only for a fraction of a second, but what a moment. And my camera was on the windowledge!
Kingfisher didn’t return…

I’ll be back at Lakenheath Fen!

1 Like

The female feeds every day in the garden. Male rarely comes into the garden, but when it does, never feeds.

2 Likes

On our first safari, in Zambia, one of the guides told us about when National Geographic stayed at the camp in the early 2000s to do some photography and filming. One scene they wanted was a particular species of snake making its way to a bush. The guide (now a friend of mine) had to catch the snake and the staff at the camp had to clear all vegetation from around this particular bush. The snake that had been caught was then set free at a particular point, cameras running, and it made its way to the bush as required, as that was the only place of safety that it could see.
Tons of equipment, some wrecked pristine environment, and some happy NG fans staring in wonder at what they’re presented with.

This elegant guy came very close to my sitting.
Very nice. But what it is?

4 Likes

That looks like it might be a Starling.

3 Likes

Good spot. I seems to be that.
Étourneau sansonnet.

IMG_2808

1 Like

I was intrigued by the beautiful Mandarin duck posted some days ago. Apparently there are not much in France, but some in Paris ( jardins d’acclamation).

IMG_2809

1 Like

More shots from Pulborough, Just got a Canon R7 body to get a bit more reach. Perfect for Pulborough where most things are distant.

Tree Creeper

Little Egret

Pintail

Kingfisher

13 Likes

Warning: Smug mode Alert.

19 Likes

Ah, but did you clap your hands to make him dive in?

Nice sequence. :+1:

1 Like