Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Back in the USSR

Imgur

A Green Heron emerges from the green water with an empty beak to land again on a log for his next attempt to find lunch.

9 Likes

Yes, a nice pair.

‘Our’ kite - who is visiting every day at present.

14 Likes

A few (of varying quality) from a wander yesterday.

Golden Plover

Whitethroat

Curious Greylags

Cheers,

Ian

11 Likes

14 Likes

Mum giving the kids a lift to kindergarden…

14 Likes

Great pictures Adam, especially the second one quizzically looking at you.

Male breeding house sparrow in his prime yesterday.

7 Likes

Seem to be having a resurgence, which is nice.

1 Like

A friend of mine introduced me to a free phone app called Merlin. It’s produced by Cornell University and there is a research programme behind it.

But the interesting thing I have found is that you can walk into a wood with a cacophony of bird song around you (with no birds actually visible) and the app will tell what birds it thinks it is hearing, with each bird listing identified turning yellow when that bird can be heard. It is fascinating and shows me that there are a lot more bird species there in that wood than I thought.

And I now recognise many more birds by their birdsong. You download a database relevant to your country or region and it uses that to make the identification.

It also has photos of each bird species and notes about them. If you want to you can report your sighting to their database. There is a lot more to this app, but anyway I recommend it.

4 Likes

Waiting for his chicken. He’s out there again just now.

What starts as a thrill slides into drudgery. Not.

1 Like

I have also been introduced to Merlin in recent weeks. It has been a revelation! It has identified at least a dozen bird species within a kilometre of our house. Many of these we rarely see (for example, goldcrest, sedge warbler, blackcap, mistle thrush), but we are beginning to recognise their songs. Some are easy to distinguish and heard more or less throughout the day - blackbird, wren, robin, great tit et al. Highly recommended app!

1 Like

Blackcap was a new one for me, which is also often there but not spotted by eye yet. And today in open heath a few hundred yards from the wood we heard what was reported as a woodlark, totally new for me too.

Male robin claiming his territory in our garden.

8 Likes

Black & White in Colors

An Eastern Kingbird, back from his wintering grounds in South America, resting after a long day of fly catching.

6 Likes

Seems to be ‘bring your kids to the foodbank day’ this morning…

The Blackbird was feeding two youngsters with sunflower hearts dropped from the feeders. The young Goldfinch looked entirely nonplussed. Clearly used to mum and dad bringing tender morsels to its nice warm nest, picking little hard niger seeds out of a plastic tube is just not the same.

Pleasingly the Greenfinches have at least two youngsters, though no pics of them yet as they’re waiting in the trees and watching mum and dad still. Absolutely dozens of Tits, so assume a number of them are newbies too.

Shot through the double glazing as everyone’s a bit nervous…

7 Likes

And there we go…

4 Likes

Rome, just before Christmas last year :grin:

Forgive the vignetting… :smiley:

7 Likes

A couple doing ‘something else’ in my neck of the woods recently…

A full deck of feathers

The Red-tail’s shadow had crossed the trail in front of me, hence the ‘a bit late’ exposure I managed to pull a second later. The hawks air time has shrunk drastically since their chicks hatched, needing a lot of care and protection.

7 Likes