Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Juvenile Robin.

Cheers,

Ian

10 Likes

Just taken from the Rutland Water Osprey nest webcam…

She just stood up, there are two eggs there.

10 Likes

Claiming territory…

12 Likes

female House Sparrow collecting food

male breeding House Sparrow

House Sparrows are at risk in the British Isles (RSPB conservation status red) - so it’s great to see them thriving locally.

Starling with tiny snail in its bill.

7 Likes

Brilliant - and here is another young blue tit - perhaps slightly older than the tit in your picture…

6 Likes

Huge mistake on my part, that’s not the female sitting down, it’s the chick!

What I assumed were eggs were actually some morsels being saved for later!

3 Likes

Though fresh afternoon tea has been delivered…

And now some housework…

4 Likes

A Yellow-rumped Warbler

Tiny and restless, taking a very short breather on a low branch over a pond.

10 Likes

Just who are yoooo lookin’ at, laddie ?

8 Likes

Buzzard or sparrow hawks handy work?

If undisturbed in the garden the local Sparrow hawk eats everything except a few feathers.

Plus its nesting/young rearing season, kills invariably get carried off to the next.

If a kill is left in my garden or road it doesn’t take long for a red kite to take it, so whatever I only get to see the plucked feathers typical of a sparrow hawk kill.

1 Like

Young wood pigeons left their nest in our thuja and flew about 20 ft to our walnut tree to spend their first night in the wide world.

6 Likes

Springwatch tonight referencing Cornell labs (behind the Merlin app.) and how their AI tech will be able to help with preservation etc. Chris Packham said he’d invest! Nice bit of product placement there…

2 Likes

I don’t want to have anything to do with you

It is what it is. At times I am left with the feeling that I am invading their space regardless of my gentle approach and the distance I keep. There is nothing left to do but say… Goodbye.
A Great Blue Heron departing.

4 Likes

Anybody gotta comb ?

7 Likes

Stayed for a week at a cottage in Woolacombe and have been befriended by a robin ( who I have christened Christopher, obvs). This morning he decided to come inside for his breakfast

11 Likes

I recall there being an old saying that it’s bad luck if a robin enters the house, it’s a sigh of a death in the family.
But it is only a saying!!

Thanks for that :disappointed:

1 Like

Surely that depends on whether you have a cat, or not.