Bob Dylan at 80 - favourite album

For crossword nerds the Indie has a Bobster themed cryptic today with loads of references in both clues and answers. If you spot them all you are indeed a true Dylanologist.

Oh and on theme BOTT every time.

1 Like

Happy Birthday Bob…

Dave

1 Like

Can I be boring and say either Highway 61 or Blood On The Tracks?

On another note, I can’t understand why the media seems obsessed with a short and not-terribly interesting phase of his career, the whole “protest singer”, “voice of generation” bit.

Come on you thicko philistines, there is more to this mercurial artist than bloody “Blowin’ In The Wind” and “The Times They Are A Changin”!

This (below) is Dylan at his best: a torrent of contempt and words and noise. Not the voice of a generation, but rather the guy who gave a whole generation the middle finger:

3 Likes

Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde, many other great albums but to me this was Dylan at his sneering poetic best.

1 Like

I refuse to pick one!

Oh Mercy
John Wesley Harding
Blood On The Tracks
Desire

Those are the ones I play most often.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Bob :beers:

I can’t possibly say which album is best but I had to play something for the mans birthday!

It was hard to decide which one to play!

2 Likes

Sweet Legal sparks a lot of controversy, but I’ve liked it since I first heard it.

2 Likes

Sweet Street Legal - but which mix 1978 or 1999?

The original 1978 LP sleeve credits mastering to Stan Kalina at CBS Recording Studios NY; the album was produced by Don DeVito. In 1999, DeVito revisited the album and remixed it in an attempt to improve the mix and produce a richer overall sound

3 Likes

Best cover of Dylan songs?

I have 20 or so Dylan albums, plus several Qobuz favourites I listen to, but also play this a lot after seeing the stage show at the Old Vic.

Dave

2 Likes

“Sweet Street Legal - but which mix 1978 or 1999?

The original 1978 LP sleeve credits mastering to Stan Kalina at CBS Recording Studios NY; the album was produced by Don DeVito. In 1999, DeVito revisited the album and remixed it in an attempt to improve the mix and produce a richer overall sound”

Both at different times. I currently have the Sony SACD. I’m on vacation, so the liner notes are not handy.

1 Like

Saw it off-Broadway. It was quite good. It was supposed to move to Broadway last year and will finally do so this fall.

1 Like

Because those folk songs were the anthems of a generation - in my opinion, they had a greater social impact than anything he’s done since.

And no, they are not my favorite songs of his.

Those could be found if you knew where to look in Cambridge, Mass. when I was there (pre-Basement Tapes).

One is too hard, five is too hard…here goes:

Bringing it All Back Home
Blonde on Blonde
Planet Waves
Desire
Highway 61 Revisited

1 Like

I think you have replied to me in error, my post was a link to a BBC article, for those who want to learn a bit about Bob!

Good selection. Just replace Planet Waves with BOTT and I’d be very happy with those five. Although being a bit of a country fan, I have a soft spot for Nashville Skyline.

1 Like

My apologies, I was responding to TheKevster who said this:

The first time I heard anything other than singles that got regular radio airplay was in August 1978 on Alan Freeman’s Last Saturday Rock Show on Radio 1 - he read out a few requests for Dylan and played Joey from Desire, and at the end with his intonation paused for a moment and said something like ‘Dylan there, and the one called Joey. Congratulations music lovers, I think you’ve chosen his greatest performance ever’ - and that stuck so rather than regularly FFing the cassette past that track I gave it a go. It took a while but it worked its way in and provided an in into his stuff.

Have today given BOTT and BonB a go and come away thinking he’s definitely worth further investigation.

Here yer go. Fluff introduces Joey - https://www.mixcloud.com/noeltyrrel/alan-freeman-final-saturday-rock-show-radio-one-26th-august-1978/ - wind it on to 47:32 for the intro, the requests and the track. I’ve posted this link before. Fluff was absolutely brilliant.

What no PL or JWH or maybe NS worth a try