Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2024 - New Product Launch

A 552 with white LEDs is like a meh metal box without a soul.

a59c8da090af0fa4603fdcaea27605dc

8 Likes

Couple of questions;

• Was that the new Nova PE?
  • Those new Klimax 800 Solos look good with the 360s, how did they sound?

DGā€¦

Thanks Mr M result!

Not to quibble though, did JG confirm that this is the item listed in the current and earlier price lists? :fearful:

ATB, J

1 Like

Naim main room. A good demo of the new stuff, including comparisons by adding extra PSUs to the streamer and preamp. Culminating in a ND555 + statement pre + NAP500 setup, because it was said that a number of folks have been using the preamp with 300/500 power amps. It definitely showed its class above the new stuff. Ticketed entry, so get in early. Oh, and a Tiri te Kanawa album to buy, courtesy ofJasonā€¦ā€¦and by an amazing coincidence I was just looking at it on Amazon this evening when my finger slippedā€¦.oops!

Naim other rooms OK.

L1nn I found disappointing.

Dynaudio - normally one of my favourites (using Naim electronics) - also disappointing.

Kudos - the stand mount 505 speakers - brilliant. If only my pension could afford them

Supertrac Blackbird tonearm. Iā€™d love to hear one on a Sondek!

Tannoy : didnā€™t do it for me, big and boomy. They had a list of famous ā€œartistesā€ who had produced their albums in the various equally famous studios on Tannoy speakers; my only thought was ā€œno wonder theyā€™re remixing/remastering their albums, on modern speakers.ā€

The rest: some good, some not so good, the usual mix.

Was given the Hi-fi Pig record matā€¦ā€¦Iā€™m sure it will look so good on the Sondekā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. :laughing:

Edit: I thought Iā€™d caught a throw-away line that an XPS2 could be used on the new preamp? Another throw away was that J. thought that the new preamp + (two?) PSU sits above the 252/SC but below the 552.

3 Likes

But didnā€™t Jason say that one could get 500s in green? For the purists and Defenders of the Faith?

Yes, PE on Demo with Sopra 2ā€™s.
Linn demo sounded good, hybrid setup with the new power amps driving the bass drive units and the internal amps in the speakers covering mid and treble.
They had a Jonny Ive Model:0000 in the system on duty also, that as a source was tasty.

Richard has previously said that you can choose white or green logo when you order a 500 system. Is that option no longer available?

Green or white according to Jason

I guess it relates to new build, I forgot to ask if it will also be a retrofit kit, I guess it will at some point.
The messaging was tied in to a 300 to Statement upgrade journey.
Their ticketted demo added PSUā€™s to 300 Series, then NAP 500 and ND555 and finally NAC S1.
They seemed keen to labour the point that 500 Series remains the gateway to Statement for aspirational owners.

2 Likes

Show offer price on ndx2 and others;

3 Likes

Yes, was going to mention that, clearing out the warehouse!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you didnā€™t enjoy the show OldNait. I agree if you want great sounding rooms then youā€™re probably best at the North West Audio Show at Cranage as many of the Bristol rooms are quite small, but in my view that only adds to the bustle and intimacy of the place. I thought Linn sounded great though and plenty of others were doing a good job (Chord Electronics, Naim, Wilson Benesch etc) I would caution anybody from viewing any audio show as a definitive way to assess kit - thatā€™s far better done at a dealer or in your own home. As a way to draw up a shortlist of components though and to share the buzz of new products and great music with like minded souls though they are a fantastic experience (in my opinion).

Bristol always feels like the busiest show, the one with the most footfall and a huge array of gear to experience. Itā€™s also very friendly and welcoming and the manufacturers are always very approachable.

It isnā€™t for everyone though and I get that but Iā€™ve been coming for probably 30 years and still enjoy it. YMMV.

JonathanG

5 Likes

Isnā€™t it just the opposite @Mr.M ? Itā€™s the speakers bass units that are driven by the internal amps I think.

Thatā€™s what I thought the presenter said, but he had a very strong accent.

1 Like

Itā€™s model name does give a clue: 360 PWAB Passive With Aktiv Bass

I thought the PE sounded devoid of any soul, rhythm or joy. It didnā€™t make my foot tap. Demoed with the Sopra 2ā€™s. The combination was big and powerful and analytic but no emotion. I couldnā€™t tell if it was the PE or the speakers or the music that was at fault. They were only playing a ā€œcuratedā€ playlist which was dominated by synth and drum machine. No real instruments, no jazz, no classical. I was not impressed. I thoughr the Uniti Star with the new Aria X 4ā€™s sounded far better.

4 Likes

Itā€™s ā€œL1nn blueā€

:scream: :scream: :scream:

2 Likes

I nearly Klimaxed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

6 Likes

I clearly wasnā€™t paying attention in the Linn room :joy:

Harbeth goes active.

5 Likes