Building Lego

Had a lot of fun adding these little characters to the Lego family.

3 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

Maybe you should add that to the management speak thread…

Finally got round to putting this together, done mostly whilst on work calls through the day!

9 Likes

And some I made earlier:

Saturn V, Falcon Heavy, Titan 34D (all to the same scale)

New thread perhaps: “Show us yer lego with Naim”

9 Likes

And updating a previous photo:

Singapore now lit. Tokyo added and lit.

Little Joe 2 at rear left (continuing the rocket launcher pics)

3 Likes

I saw the new Lighthouse set in Legoland the other day, quite tempted to add that to my set list.

4 Likes

Now that I like, especially with the lights. Price is a bit steep. OTOH it’s nearly Christmas.

Excellent! Which College did she go to?

Graham (Merton, Jurisprudence, 1975/78)

Lincoln…….4 year Masters followed by a PGCE. Mum & Dad’s bank balance has since recovered, especially as her sister was at Exeter Uni for three of those years!

You clever chaps and chapesses, who are so good with your hands, should really get yourselves to the Maritime Museum in Greenwich to see John Harrison’s extraordinary original marine chronometers (called H1, H2, H3 and H4). They are amongst the most beautiful and intricate things that I have ever seen. (While you’re there, you can see the original brass 0’ longitude marker.)

If that piques your interest, get hold of Dava Sobell’s wonderful book, ‘Longitude’ which tells the story of their making, falling into disrepair and rebuilding. (I posted a much longer thing about all this on the ‘Watch’ thread in the Padded Cell a couple of weeks back.)

3 Likes

I have been building with Legos my entire life, and now enjoy building “princess castles” with my 6-year-old daughter. What a wonderful toy/hobby they have been. Some folks build model train sets, but when I was about 12 I had a piece of plywood on sawhorses in our basement and my brother and I built an entire Lego “kingdom” with probably around 50,000 Legos we had been collecting for nearly a decade. My mother still has all of those Legos in her garage in sorted plastic bins, and my daughter will have them soon.

As for Harrison’s marine chronometers, there is a fascinating account of their invention as part of Simon Winchester’s book The Perfectionists, which is something of a selected history of the art and science of precision engineering. It is a great read!

There is also a great documentary on the history and impact of Legos. I can remember the name, but search “Lego” on Netflix or Prime Video and I am certain it will pop up. It is worth watching just to see some of the creations people have come up with.

3 Likes

Saw this at the Orchestra Hall last week.

Love that fire escape ladder on the right.

5 Likes

All the Orchids in the sun today! :sun_with_face:

9 Likes

New entry. Really beautiful :star_struck:

10 Likes

5 Likes

I read somewhere that the lady pianist is a homage to Nina Simone.

Can’t argue with that!

2 Likes

I’ve got Lego…

4 Likes

I’ve got that one to build. :heart_eyes:

1 Like