Cables - WH Morgana - Blown away

Powerline lite to SN3. Audioquest Big Sur RCA from Hugo2 to SN3 and the KS-1, all well dressed and away from each other.

The one I had thought of is changing the RCA to an RCA to Din, although not sure if the earthing aspect of the din makes much difference if it’s single ended

1 Like

I have experienced the different sound from the WH interconnects and speaker cables and that was a straight out of the box difference. I was sceptical but with a 28 day return policy I was pretty comfortable and not invested in the product.

I’ve heard for myself, live, the difference stands can make.

If there is any product I do remain sceptical of it is mains leads. Presumably we have a thread for those. I’ll research later tonight!

4 Likes

If you spend £4,000 on a fuse, you’ve blown it! :scream:

I’ll get my coat…

8 Likes

Very pleased with my Morgana, mind you I was largely replacing 1st generation Naim interconnects such as the original DIN to XLR 5amp 3 core!

4 Likes

I think the consensus view is that Din is preferable to RCA so worth changing. Given what I’ve heard of the new ChorAlloy connectors, I’d be inclined to go with something like a Shawline.

3 Likes

“Those with more cable experience than I, where do you think the biggest difference lies, mains interconnect or speaker cables”?

Good question cayorob. I’ve had a plethora of changes over the years with mains, speaker and interconnects and I agree with NOW by putting mains in the top spot (I changed all my Naim cables to a “Hydra” set up which is neater and had the effect of a deeper, quieter and more dynamic soundstage), followed by speaker cable, then IC’s. To be fair, I’ve not spent the kind of money on IC’s we’re talking here but they were still a lot more than the stock Naim ones and the improvement was negligible. With speaker cable, the move from WH Phantom to KS-1 was almost like a minor component upgrade. Just goes to show that sometimes pricier isn’t necessarily better as it wasn’t in that particular case.

2 Likes

Agree with all the above except I’m still on powerlines and waiting for my dedicated mains supply to go in.
I was really very pleased with the KS1 from Phantom although have just been in a Kudos dealer who was rather sniffy about them and was recommending 3 grands worth of chord cable instead.
Morgana loom is incoming.

3 Likes

“I was really very pleased with the KS1 from Phantom although have just been in a Kudos dealer who was rather sniffy about them and was recommending 3 grands worth of chord cable instead”

Funny how dealers vary ain’t it? I first heard KS-1 at my Linn/Naim dealer who also sells Chord. I was considering an upgrade to my LP12 and brought my deck in for an A-B comparison on a replica system he put together. At the time I had Phantoms which of course aren’t sold via a dealer network, hence he plumbed in KS-1which he uses as standard on all demo’s (unless a client stipulates Chord or NACA5). I was impressed - better separation, more detail and a more musical presentation than the Phantoms and when he told me the price, well I was gobsmacked. I sold the Phantoms on eBay, ordered the KS-1 and haven’t looked back, fantastic cable.

5 Likes

Morgana RCA->DIN was a huge and obvious improvement over the Chord Chrysalis (Naim Lavender) RCA-> DIN. Which was itself an excellent cable that shamed many more expensive RCA->RCA cables.

All used from Qutest to SN3.

3 Likes

Sorry - mistyped!

1 Like

I am not sure that it is a genuine consensus view. It is a view of people who themselves are users of DIN connectors and cannot be extrapolated beyond this group

Blockquoteģ

There have been a few threads over the years, one in particular about RCA’s v Din from LP12, where a Mayware adapter converting RCA to Din was preferred to plain RCA. I did the same myself when I used Linn Silvers, very briefly.

Have you found the opposite?

1 Like

N of 1, but this has mirrored my experience as well. Even using the exact same cable stock.

No, never made a comparrison…I used DIN when I had Naim amps and I use RCA and one balanced now.

Having been through past threads, I can see lots of support for the Hydra. What’s the logic though, why should it be better? I’m now thinking seriously about it, if I can get it in long enough lengths.

Star earthing. The Graham’s Hydra is excellent.

1 Like

From a previous thread here…

3 Likes

Got it! Very helpful diagram, thank you.

What’s an ‘ATmega328p’?
Numpty here… I’ve no idea what an ‘RGB strip’ is either! Red, green, blue…something visual?
TV I guess…

I have a few Morganas in my system and have been sufficiently impressed to have pre ordered Spectre speaker cable. Hoping for a late January/early February arrival.

6 Likes