Cables - WH Morgana - Blown away

Wow, this thread has run and run.

Looking analytically, I now realise that although the Morgana was a big incremental step. What it has actually done is unmasked the full potential of what was the biggest leap in my system. Replacing the ND5-XS DAC with the Qutest. It shows just how good the Qutest is.

3 Likes

Wait until you put a really good LPS on the Qutest. :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

You are teasing me nowā€¦
Recommendations?

1 Like

i put an mcru one on mineā€¦ boom! miles better.

1 Like

Plixir Elite BDC with the Statement DC cable

The Allo Shanti was an obvious improvement from stock and the Plixir blew the Allo Shanti out of the water. Allo is so inexpensive that itā€™s basically mandatory for any Qutest owner. However, I did find that certain USB battery banks would eclipse the Shanti in certain areas of performance. Whereas the Plixir is superior in every area one could categorize sound reproduction, even compared to battery banks.

AudioBaconā€™s Jay did a recent LPS shootout and the Plixir did very well.

I was actually shopping for used Paul Hynes SR4-Tā€™s and SR7ā€™s (or a Sean Jacobs, which are $$$ and impossible to find used). I have a local buddy with both an SR4-T and an SR7ā€¦ both in 5V. He refused to part with either but I did get to demo each against the Plixir. The Elite BDC was roundly better than the SR4-T on Qutest and it traded blows with the SR7. Edging it out, for my tastes. The SR7 is basically legendary so this is huge praise for the Plixir.

James at Plixir (founder and engineer) was great to work with on getting items sold and shipped directly to me.

I ended up with a Plixir Elite BDC power my Lumin D2 (upgraded from SBooster) and on my Roon Nucleus +. All have been superb.

2 Likes

I have a couple of Seanā€™s mains cables. Very good and sensible money. I just added one to my Whest phono stage. The uplift was both obvious and significant. Heā€™s also a very helpful and knowledgeable chap to deal with.

5 Likes

Sean is fantastic from all appearances. His work certainly speaks for itself. I believe he and John Swenson design power supplies for many companies, including Innuos. In addition to their own in-house efforts.

1 Like

Question on the WH Morgana. I have it between the NDX2 and SN3 but the fitting is quite loose. Anyone else experienced this? Music sounds good, am just concerned the connection is sub-optimal.

I have the morgana DIN-XLR and it is also quite loose. Never had an issue with it though. Thick cables and no locking ring is a tricky combination.

2 Likes

I have aa Chord 2Qute with an Audio Quest power supply, Iā€™m assuming I could do better? Any recommendations as it is an older model.

Tim

Initially my reaction was the same as yours. Iā€™d not describe mine as loose but they clearly donā€™t lock in place. Elsewhere in this forum I believe there are those of the view that NOT locking things in place is better. I canā€™t comment on that but would note that Iā€™ve never had a WH cable drop out or somehow sound patchy or intermittent.

1 Like

Yes, decoupling is beneficial to sound performance. The lavender cable for example is recommended to not lock with the ring and also pull out ~1mm.

2 Likes

I have just ordered a Morgana din to XLR for 272 to 250 so am waiting to hear what all the fuss is about. Will report once it arrives.
Not sure what their delivery times are like currently.

3 Likes

Morgana arrived two days ago and I have to say after a few hours it has made a noticeable improvement in all areas. Really great vfm upgrade IMHO.
I am presuming it will continue to improve slightly going forward.
Great quality product and delivered in less than 3 weeks.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s consistent with my experience. Iā€™ve found that WHs cables give an immediate and noticeable improvement and then either as the cable runs in or your ears become acclimatised, you hear more tone and detail over time until it becomes the norm. The key thing though is you donā€™t have to wait to hear what they do.

Iā€™ve always taken comfort from their returns policy but having done back to back tests to check what has changed, Iā€™ve known within the first few hours that Iā€™m keeping them. I wonder how many returns they actually get.

5 Likes

I tried Morganas - I liked them enough to keep the set. Then I swapped 250 for 300DR, a good upgrade but it meant using the original XLRs again. The WH sale has delivered Morgana Mono XLRs, and it has done exactly as expected (they will be staying too). They rank well above signal-only cables for size of SQ upgrade.

I am delighted to report one more result. To my ears only and in my systemā€¦

I spent an hour on cable-dressing with all these Morganas, trying to be good and trying deliberately to be less good. The really good news is that with standard cables I had to admit that the effort was needed, but with Morganas I simply canā€™t hear any difference rom extra care. I didnā€™t deliberately wind mains cable around signal cables or make lots of tight turns or whatever, but I heard enough to make me feel less guilty about my usually imperfect attempts at cable-dressing. Hurrah!

9 Likes

Weā€™re thinking of trying Morgana Din/Din and Din/XLR with new 300DR. Encouraging to read reports like yours.

Superlumina are just so damn expensive even used, especially the mono pair.

Not 100% sure yet, still might hold out for SL funds.

2 Likes

My set up is 4x135s so I have 2 mono pairs of XLRs. Whatā€™s the price difference to the SL version of the XLR?

I am almost tempted to try Morgana between my Stageline N and SN1. Spending more on the interconnect than the device it is connecting does seem crazy though. Mind you my dealer recommended a dedicated HC-DR for the Stageline, I did reject that suggestionā€¦

Trying Morganas for a few weeks is free. On SQ, Iā€™d take them in preference, nit just because they are less frighteningly expensive.

1 Like