Can I use the 272 as a preamp for the NDS

Hi, I was following your odyssey … entailing the acquisition of (IIRC) … Atom - NAP250 - Nova - NAP250 - 272 - NDS - 555PS - 555PS … which is a lot of gear … and it just struck me as amusing that your initial goal had been a single box system. Hey, I’m as guilty as you, putting my hands up right here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@joasop, I happen to think the 272 is an excellent analogue pre-amp, but I would suggest you definitely need one of your 555PS on the 272 to really hear how good it is. In the interest of better system balance this would be better than having 2 on the NDS.

Look forward to hearing what you think when you get your new system up and running, have fun!

2 Likes

This is what I use between my NDS and 300DR. Sounds great and very small which is a bonus. I’ll use it till the next generation of Naim pre-amps is ready (or a huge discount on an S1).

That’s interesting, which interconnect did you use?

I tried a few, including some cheap Flashbacks, a Hiline, and some Townshend Fractals which worked best, and which I still use but none of them could elevate the Allegri to 282 levels.

I guess the rooms and ears have an impact on all these things. I sold my 282/HCDR after listening for a few weeks to the Allegri+.

The crazy thing is that I was getting deals left right and center to also think that it’s worth a try to listen to them all and if it is not what I like then they can always be sold used in different parts of the home and/or brought to the office. Right now as I wait for the 272, NDS, 555PSDR * 2 to come home, I have in my office the 250DR, Nova, P3, Fireface UCX, and a 7Tx and they all sound pretty awesome. In the living room I have the Nova to a Linn Sizmik sub and a pair of 706 s2 which is also awesome. (The 250.2 for that system is getting repaired because there is a hum to it.) Hence I can image once the NDS comes in to replace the Nova I should hear a difference for the better. That’s at least the hope.

Hi Nitrous. Thanks so much for the note. I will for sure try that configuration out. Or I can also get another PS for the 272 :wink: I think it was an article that I read from Naim’s site that got me wanting to check out the double PS on the NDS: https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/NDS%20-%202%20x%20555PS_HiFiCritic_Jan2015.pdf

Though I would imagine to get the better SQ one would have one PS on the 272 and the other to the NDS. Will let you guys know for sure. I checked the tracking and it should be arriving mid month (16th).

1 Like

I just went 272-XPSDR-250DR to NDX2-XPSDR-282-HICAPDR-250DR. So far am very happy with the improvements (282 first) then the NDX2 - both added clarity to the sound. I had the 272 into a 282 for a while and that was already an improvement vs the 272 as a pre-amp. FWIW

Hi mathiourose. Oh interesting. You did your source (NDX2) to 282 and then out from the 250DR. I guess this is the clarification that I need. Do I put the 272 into the NDS via the remote out cable (which is what?), then connect the NDS DIN to 250DR XLR? It’s the connection between the 272 to the NDS I am not sure what to do there.

No no no, don’t do anything like that. Why would you? The analog output of the NDS goes into the analog input of the 272. The analog output of the 272 goes into the 250

Hi Suedkiez. Thanks for the explaination. Another question: If I have a Powerline cable and used that on the 272 instead of the suggestion of one of the 555PSDR attached to the 272 and the other 555PSDR to the NDS. I also have a Shunyata Sigma power main that could be used in the mix. Again trying out different configs in my head before I get the hardware. Thanks to you all.

I should add that If you want to use system automation (I don’t know if that’s possible between NDS and 272, but might), then you connect the remote in and out of NDS and 272 somehow, but that’s peripheral. Maybe someone who has done that can chime in.

Should you not have two PowerLine cables for the two 555s? Leave them there. I agree with the people who suggested using one 555 on the NDS and one on the 272. If you ever exchange the 272 to a pre, you can move the second 555 back to the NDS.

I don’t know. You can only try replacing one of the 555 PLs with the Shunyata. Or use the Shunyata on the 250. See if it makes a difference.

On the other hand, you could listen to music :wink:

Note: I had to correct my post from above, made a stupid typo :man_facepalming: Should have been:

The analog output of the NDS goes into the analog input of the 272. The analog output of the 272 goes into the 250

Obviously you want to use the NDS DAC

Sounds good to all the above. Yeup in the end I will definitely listen to the music. Actually I have a Powerline cable on the Atom. I still have to buy Powerline cables for the PSs because they didn’t come with them. I got the system used.

I’d suggest the DAC and analogue output of the NDS should be superior to the 272 using the digital output from the NDS and acting as a DAC.

Just connect the DIN interconnect that comes with the NDS from the DIN output (blue arrow) to the analogue input of the 272 (blue arrow). Connect the 272 output (red arrow) to the 250 via the DIN4 to XLR cable. Set the ground switch on the 272 to floating and the ground switch on the NDS to chassis.

2 Likes

Of course :slight_smile: Long corrected while you posted. Sorry.
(I had become all confused by connecting the NDS to the 250 and so on!)

1 Like

Hi James. I don’t think I got this cable with the units. I will have to buy a 5 pin M - M DIN. Is this the Super Lumina and Hi Line connectors that Naim has on their site? Suggestions for other brands?

Yes an analog DIN interconnect, HiLine and SuperLumina are options. Chord (Sarum T for instance, on a similar price level as SuperLumina) or WitchHat would also be an option. But as you are connecting it to a 272 for now, good as it may be, this is probably not a priority. You’d do better by saving the SuperLumina money towards a pre.

1 Like

Sounds good. I will find a cable for that connection between the 272 and NDS.

A standard grey interconnect should come in the box with the NDS. It’s a grey coloured DIN5 to DIN5 cable (also known as the lavender cable as the grey cable has a slight lavender tinge to it). It’s a decent cable, works very well and certainly is good enough to get you going.

1 Like