CD...bit of a revelation

I’ve just tried the old Arcam Alpha 7SE plus into the NDX2 as a transport using the coaxial output, I couldn’t get the optical output to work for some reason. It sounded pretty good, though the Cambridge CX UHD Bluray as a CD transport via coaxial to the NDX2 is better in all regards - clarity, sound stage and tonal balance.

Indeed, a CD ripped as a WAV file on the UnitiCore and the same CD played through the CX UHD into the NDX2 via coaxial are pretty neck and neck. The Core has much better functionality for replay when using Roon. On the other hand, the CX UHD will play his-res music DVDs and blurays, and these sound even better than the same music on a CD, but again compatable with a hi-res WAV download on the Core.

The good news is I don’t have to buy any new gear :sunglasses: and can enjoy both formats.

1 Like

Yep good news

I keep chopping and changing my mind on streamers and really do I need one . I get the convenience and more music access pluses mind you

I played CD’s yesterday ( gave vinyl a miss ) and you know Mike they sounded pretty damn good through CD5XS/ nDAC /XPS-2 / SN3/HICAPDR

I have circa 1,200 CDs (ripped those into CORE in my little house down south)

I mean how much more music does one need when realistically whatever format, it all sounds great

3 Likes

So if I read the thread correctly Naim can currently repair a CDX2 but not a CDS3?

With the state of the world (and the UK!) in 2022, more than ever I’d recommend only accepting answers to questions like that directly from Naim themselves.

Just because someone on this forum was told six months ago that a NAX232 could not be serviced but a NAX242 could doesn’t mean a thing today. The world’s an unpredictable place for the time being.

Mark

[before anyone asks: yes, I did fabricate those model numbers as pure examples - Naim hasn’t started making a new range of kit!]

1 Like

NeilS has confirmed that Naim can currently service and repair CDS3’s using the VAM 1202 mechanism. Hope I have got this right.

2 Likes

You did

I run a CD555 with 2 x power supplies and an SL cable to a 552.
My vinyl is an LP12 with Stilleto plinth and Lyra Etna SL.
Both are neck and neck in quality but I favour the CD555 just because its easier to operate.
Streaming has little appeal to me as its not straight forward to set up and with large orchestral classical music and opera it has disadvantages I am told by my dealer. The music doesn’t come in chunks and can confuse the system. I quote.

2 Likes

After my beloved CDS 3 was determined to be unrepairable, I went on a search for a CD transport that I could run through my NDX 2. I found a Pro Ject CD Box RS 2T. Made in Austria by the turntable folks. I’m pretty amazed by it, it’s a keeper, and I just ordered the upgraded power supply from Pro Ject.
[/quote]

Not surprised , that looks an amazing bit of kit - and if you dig deeply on the Pro-Ject web site -you will find an obscure connection that if followed leads on to Naim

3 Likes

I would say that LP12 in my case is superior but it has to be with good pressings and the CD555 is so consistent and convenient. I too use it with a SL interconnect (really excellent).

2 Likes

Was going to say, the CD mech used is produced by StreamUnlimited - the same folks who worked with Naim on the NP800. I assume that’s the link you refer to?

I secretly hope this means Naim might venture into CD once more :wink:

1 Like

They mention Naim on their website , I would love to see Naim make a transport even if it’s just a digital output on the CD5si

1 Like

A bit more digging, the SU CD Pro 8 is based on a Sanyo transport, might well be that the CD5si and it already share the Sanyo SF HD 850 in common

1 Like

That’s a blast from the past.

Many years ago (pre -internet) I bit the bullet and asked my dealer to order a NAT01 , he advised Naim had stopped making it that month - citing a supplier stopping making a key component , I asked him to order a Linn Kremlin (?) instead. No they too had stopped making it that month, the reason was the same supplier had stopped making a key component and it was the same component for both machines - made by Sanyo .

I guess the difference between Naim and Linn is that there is a strong chance Naim will be able to service the NAT01 but Linn won’t. (If I am being unfair, can somebody please correct me )

My previous cartridge was a Micro-Benz SLR. The Lyra Etne is kinder to surface noise without loosing out on its good qualities. Perhaps it rides in a different position in the groove.
Take your point about LP surface noise. In a hypothetical case if you bought 50 LPs and 50 CDs, I don’t think you would send any CDs back as faulty. However probably not so with the LPs. More to go wrong: off centre, scratches, warps, surface noise. Could go on. They just need more attention in manufacturing. And that costs?

CD555 Mk 2 wouldn’t go amis. Sort of like the Solstice Aro Mk2, perhaps?

… and then I woke up !

2 Likes

Hi,
Have you made any sound quality comparisons between streaming Qobuz live from the internet and the same tracks via CD disc quality or also Hi-Res tracks via DVD and Bluray Discs?
Appreciate that your experience streaming locally from music ripped and also downloaded from Qobuz to the Core sounds very comparable to playing discs but very interested in your experience of streaming live from Qobuz.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @MoonDrifter. I’ve found local streaming from the Core (either ripped from a CD or a download, both as WAV files) to sound better than the equivalent material streamed directly from Qobuz. Not is much in terms of detail or resolution, but the local streaming just has the edge for dynamics and being more natural. For hi-res, a download from Qobuz as a WAV file, or a DVD or Blurry disc has the edge over the same material streamed directly from Qobuz as a FLAC file.

I’m no technical expert, and put the difference down to the better timing (clocking?) of local streaming.

Having said that, Qobuz on-line streaming quality is very good and for new music I only buy a download for a particular favourite that is well recorded. Also, a number of bands I follow only sell CDs or their on direct downloads.

1 Like

It’s not quite the same thing, but I’ve noticed (and I don’t think I’m alone) that 4K Ultra HD material looks and sounds much better on my kit when being played locally from a disc rather than when being streamed. We’re blessed with very strong wifi which we never notice dropping out* but, even so, a locally played disc always performs better in our experience.

Mark

Footnote: …apart from the time a whacking great oak tree landed on the wires down the road, which is forgivable

1 Like

It’s too soon, but worth checking on the forum nearer 2040.

2 Likes

I agree, and sound in particular, as I think a lot of 4K video streaming has compressed audio for bandwidth.