CD companion to new classic 200 range

I believe you.
I had the Cd5x, then with flatcap, and finally olive hicap. I liked the later.
Then Cdx2 and after added xps2. My favourite cd player at home.

1 Like

Rega Apollo

3 Likes

So did I (well FCXS) when using the internal DAC, but I could not hear a difference when used as transport.

Roger

I do this every day with my 222 and I enjoy improved SQ ( with few exceptions) and the convenience of thousands of albums at my finger tips.

You own 2 CDs so how much music are you going to discover with a CDP? Probably not much unless you plan on spending lots of $$ on new CDs. If you buy a Naim CDP you’ll want to be careful you’re not getting a player that will fail on you and need to be sent in. Many of the older players are running into problems now.

It really depends on what you want to achieve:

If you want to play the music on the CD at the best quality (without the expense of a high-end CD player), then ripping the disks using dBPoweramp or EAC and playing from a local music server is the way to go.

If it’s to play the CD (for instance if someone brings a CD to your house) then a CD transport will be required. (The Rega and the Audiolab are both viable solutions here.)

I don’t believe the Apollo is produced anymore.

But the full sized Saturn is.

1 Like

I checked, you are right. But probably the Apollo r may be not difficult to find second hand.

2 Likes

I just bought an audiolab 9000 CDT… Works very nicely I must say!

4 Likes

If you’re not going to go for the Core and use the Naim app, Cyrus make a great cd transport and it fits the 1/2 width case requirement.

2 Likes

How are you finding the music that you enjoy and feel worth buying on lp? Are you acquiring a music collection based on oh - ought to get Dark Side of the Moon, always liked Rumours, can’t go wrong with Dire ……

Have you tried internet radio? The quality can be variable but the choice is near infinite. Audio snob, reviewer and my friend Chris Thomas concluded his review of the Muso with the observation that more people would have more fun and listen to more music if they relaxed and opened themselves up to their choices from the world of available music rather than concentrate of the mechanics of reproduction with a severely limited palette of hackneyed standards.

OK my words, his sentiments.

Use internet radio, join a streaming service and glut yourself on music. Then see if you want to own it and then choose which medium is most appropriate.

5 Likes

Don’t know what your budget is but Hegels Viking CD player is getting rave reviews. The design wouldn’t look out of place either.

I am also not sure about the budget. I have a streamer, turntable and NAS. What will a CD player add to this? I really would like to dip my toes and not commit to 5K investment. Thinking about Audiolab 6000 CD player. Could use some guidance on what is good value for money with my setup.

NSC222, NAP 250 and Sopra-2.

I just found out about I2S interfaces and my 7K Naim preamp does not have one. Should I care?

1 Like

I second what @Adam.Meredith said; consider internet radio or a streaming service, my personal favourite being Qobuz. Most streaming services have a free trial period and Qobuz and others have CD quality or higher streams.

It may work out cheaper than investing in a CD player. Might be worth giving it a go first.

I have Spotify and Tidal HiFi and use Spotify and a few magazine subscriptions to discover new music.

So my thoughts are that I want to experience all media and get the most out of my system.

I didn’t have any records and am slowly buying what I like. But records cost triple the price of CDs. And since there is no definitive ‘best’ medium I consider getting into CD.

3 Likes

So often the dialogue around new CDP falls down into:

• I want to buy new car
  • You better buy bicycle
3 Likes

Great idea
There’s nothing like the physical medie.
If you want a reasonable priced CD player made in Europe, Rega Apollo might still be available around ?

If I was in the OP’s position I would probably spend $500 and get something like the Audiolab 6000CDT. If my CD collection then grew significantly then I might consider an upgrade later on.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. This forum is always quite active and yields much response.

This is indeed probably what I’ll do. Audiolab 6000CDT. Possibly the 7000CDT since I caj get that at discount for 449. Seems like a good start and I don’t see myself investing in multiple thousands in high-end transport at this time. Especially since I don’t have many CDs.

My logic: start small. Use the DAC in the Preamp since I have it so a transport will suffice and any money I spend will go into the sole component I need (transport).

Now just wondering on some thoughts on the quality of the NSC222 DAC in general and compared to standalone CD players. Just to gauge where I stand in terms of value for money when getting the audiolab 6000CDT transport.

How good is the DAC in my preamp? What would it take to better the audiolab + NSC222 combination? Are we talking Hegel Viking at 5K? Or lower or higher investment?

If it’s anything like the 9000 you’ll love it!

Now I find myself looking and considering the 9000CDT…

What would be the sweet spot? Is the 6000 far below the 7000 or 9000 considering I will use the NSC222’s DAC.