CD Player recommendations

I see B&O have launched a new CD based product. Might just be a bit above the OP’s designated budget I fear😉

1 Like

I have a 35 year Mission PCM4000 cd player and still going strong on the original Philips transport. It still gives my Cyrus CDT-XR a good run for the money

4 Likes

I didn’t visit the forum yesterday &, glancing at this thread, I was about to suggest the Marantz when I saw your post.

I had used a 6004 for several years when I purchased my Nova & Core on 2019. I agree with your assessment, it’s fantastic player for the money & would be an excellent buy within the OPs budget.

Mine was about £350 around 2010 & replaced a much loved Meridian purchased in 1990 for £1,000. I found it hard to detect any difference in performance.

1 Like

How do you find your Cyrus CDTXR v the Innuos? Does the power supply smooth it out- more bottom end etc. I have only heard a Cyrus source once which was no where near an ND5xs

With the power supply the xr is pretty close to the zenith and pheonix USB, probably comes down to the quality of the recording with the zenith perhaps having a slight edge. I like the use of cds but until now my players lagged too far behind my streaming to be viable for proper listening. I tested the zenith etc against quite a few streamers, including the NDX and a few other makes and felt that there was no improvement in my system from adding a streamer so I suppose that tells you where is rate the xr and power supply. Others may find differently in their systems

Yes, exactly… unregulated, insecure & unreliable

The half width Rega Apollo CD player is really good and supported by maker.

2 Likes

I have an AudioLab 6000CDT through a Schiit Audio DAC. I love it. If you can stretch to a 7000 it would be worth it. Rotel have a decent CD on offer too.

3 Likes

Well these days that’s pretty much the workings of the entire planet.

I used to feel like that once upon a time. But it was rather like the change from vinyl to CD all those years ago. I resisted it for a long time, believing the rhetoric from the likes of Linn and Naim that CD was incapable of being musical. However despite this it became increasingly obvious that CD was here to stay and many manufacturers were embracing it with great success. To reject it amounted to being out of step with the world.

Broadly speaking it’s called progress. If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em.

Soundwise no progress has happend since vinyl release, imo.
In many other ways there progress, everything is relative.

1 Like

So the very first vinyl pressings, in mono, of recordings from the late 1940s, to you are the best sound quality available, even today? Stereo no improvement? No improvements in cutting or pressing techniques? No improvements in recording equipment or skills?

The 6000 CDT had quite a buzz for it and ended up in some serious systems on this forum .

1 Like

Well I would say an LP12 sounds way better than an old BSR deck with a crystal cartridge so I suppose that’s progress! Also I think in general current CD players sound far better then very early ones. One notable exception is the Naim CDS which remains the most musical CD player I have ever heard.

1 Like

But no longer in production.

Maybe stretching it a bit

Well maybe I didn’t express myself clear enough.
Of course this could be down to language native.

Of course!

How about the Teac 701 or the Atoll CD200, I can vouch for the Teac and Atoll ar getting a lot of positive attention.

1 Like

Thanks for the info but it looks like both the teac and atoll are out of my budget.

1 Like

My earlier post got edited as I put a couple of unwanted links in it, so for clarity the Rotel CD11 Tribute is well within budget and was great when I tried one last year. The Mark ii is out now, I haven’t heard it but I assume it’s ‘better’? At £549. There is an advantage of longevity with a new or nearly new cdp…

An alternative is a CD3.5 which is older but within budget. I still have mine from new when bought in the nineties though about half way through it’s life Naim replaced the transport. And gave it some other tweeks. A flatcap will improve it further and the combo should remain affordable. A Hiline which can be picked up pre-owned for about £350 improves it again! However, you are now looking at kit somewhere between 25 to 30 years old…That said, I demoed a couple of £2K+ CDP’s a few months back and kept my 3.5/FC/HiLine.

I also have an Audiolab 6000CDT which I tried in my main system on the 272 through it’s DAC. It was good. Not as good as the 3.5/FC/HL…

1 Like