CD5X Repair

Its quite a good idea - a thread on good-but-not Naim CD players and/or transports.

Prior to my CDX2, I had first Arcam then Rega.

Pucks upside down

2 Likes

Well spotted , it was the only one .

I suspect that CD has been squeezed out from both ends (Ooh Matron) by on the one hand the convenience and equal/better SQ of streaming and at the other, the resurgence In vinyl enthusiasm.

I look forward to watching the discussion about “non-NAIM but good enough” CD players elsewhere. Want to kick it off, IanRobert? :smiley:

1 Like

Done… :expressionless:

A good read….

For my first Naim system, I wanted to stay with the Naim offerings. I am a happy user of the CD5si. I have nothing to compare it to.

When I had a Rega system, I had the Saturn. I actually had two units. Both stoped initializing CD after a while. Not for me.

Or a decent CD transport feeding an nDAC?

While Sue’s CD3.5 was in Wiltshire for a new laser (now back and in fine form :+1: ), she’d borrowed my CDX. I therefore ran an old Meridian 200 transport into my nDAC. It worked very well, and the overall sound was pretty similar to my RPi streamer (which, er, also feeds my nDAC - hmmm there’s a clue there :grin:).

2 Likes

I love my CD5si it goes great with my Supernait 3
It’s indeed a very straightforward machine with no frills but it’s built like a tank and is very analogue feeling in its use.
Less gimmicks to go wrong manual all the way. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

@Skeptikal Well said. I really like mine with my SN3 as well.

2 Likes

Apparently not…

Mine is a CD5si not the thread title CD5X.
We were talking replacements.

Hi Graham
Why not ask your dealer to loan you a box fresh CD5Si? With a decent power cord and using RCAs in place of Din. I would be very surprised if you did not decide to keep it.
It’s a much more up to date design than the balance of your kit.
Even if not entirely to your taste, you could at least listen to your treasured CDs whilst awaiting an older player to appear.
When one does, you will find the CD5Si holds value well as a trade in

2 Likes

Absolutely agree 100%
:+1:t2:

I think there is a bit of “ if it costs more it has to be better” thinking applied to this piece of kit.
Personal view, there is more variation in disks than players

3 Likes

@Mikee
You are so very right.
Seasons greetings to you. :+1:t2:

Thank you
Happy new year to you too

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. I’ll have a word with Audio T. I can easily afford to buy a CD5Si, and you’re right that I should have a CD player to play the discs.

I hope, and don’t think you will be disappointed!
Happy new year and CD listening.

Thank you, Mikee.