Chord GroundARAY - brilliant or bollocks?

If only it had a sparkly bottom.

3 Likes

I’ve removed some posts. Would members please respect and abide by forum rules. Thank you.

1 Like

Richard, I’ve no idea what people have been posting that contravenes Forum rules, but I’m pleased to report that I’ve just received a ‘nice topic’ badge!

So please could everyone ensure they post within the rules and maybe, just maybe, I’ll get another badge.

Or maybe Chord will send me a complimentary GroundARAY for this excellent free publicity. I’m well used to using suppositories for my colitis.

3 Likes

Only some posts?

Some things strike me, Chord is a highly respected company and very few have heard it .

The other thing , is that there are still people who think power cords and cables make no difference

4 Likes

The thing that confuses me is that The Chord Company make products that are specifically designed to go with and compliment Naim, some of which Naim don’t offer themselves, so there is no competition as such. And other power products such as mains cables, blocks etc are open for discussion. Yet, posters are free to promote the other company Chord Electronics streamers as being better than the Naim streamers on the Naim forum.

It just seems inconsistent, and it’s not even clear how the groundARAY can be discussed, but not other similar Chord products.

2 Likes

I e never heard a jot of difference with a power chord.

Chord are respected but products like this, for me, tarnish that.

The Chord Company make some cables specifically for Naim equipment. However they also carry power between Naim units and cannot be commented upon.

3 Likes

Yes, I realise that. But what’s the difference between discussing alternative power cables from the mains to a Naim box, and one carrying power between the boxes? And the difference between a grounding thingy and a cable carrying power? Is not grounding a function of the electrical design?

1 Like

Any item or cable that carries DC or a combination of DC and signal between Naim boxes is part and parcel of the equipment. Changing that to something other than the Naim designed and supplied item is a modification that is not sanctioned by Naim. At best, performance will not be as Naim intended, and at worst damage may result. There are potential warranty and liability implications here. Should damage occur as a result of using that item, who is culpable? Naim would undoubtedly have to pick up the pieces.

p.s. as to any “inconsistency” here, i.e. referencing mains cables; mains cables and their connectors have to comply with tough standards and testing - other items don’t. That’s the difference. As to these groundaray devices, I take it they work at signal level and cannot potentially cause damage, but I’m open to modifying my stance should someone show that to not be the case.

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Though Chord do warranty the power carrying cables being used on the electronics they are designed for, so I’m not sure that would be a concern for Naim. They are both reputable companies.

1 Like

Do they warrant against damage to the electronics?

I’ve known cases where there has been plenty of head scratching at Naim trying to figure out why items have been damaged (in one case I recall, repeatedly) and having to effect free repairs etc… with plenty of apology from Naim and anger from the customers, only to eventually discover that a faulty third party cable or power supply was the cause.
Or the occasion where a piece of Naim kit has been returned to Naim as faulty, only to be tested thoroughly and found to be fault free, then returned again, and sometimes again, with an ever more exasperated dealer and customer, only to discover that the “fault” was down to some 3rd party item. It’s frustrating, wastes everybody’s time and money, and potentially undermines customer confidence in Naim.

Naim have a good relationship with Chord Cables and generally they have been happy to recommend their interconnects - their origins of course lay in offering interconnects to connect non-Naim equipment to Naim pre-amps. However, there is a clear line that is drawn and it’s only fair and practicable that it should apply to all, without exception, unless specifically tested, approved and sanctioned by Naim themselves.

7 Likes

I’m sure they are respected by a certain audience, but i mainly remember them from misleading advertising rulings by the ASA such as the one below:

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/the-chord-company-ltd-a14-274211.html#.VLaZ1UyCOrU

Generally speaking, i think that legitimate companies producing legitimate products shouldn’t be on the receiving end of such rulings…

1 Like

I asked this question specifically when you raised it earlier, and the answer I got was, yes, they do. How much of that depends on the consumer warranty laws in the country of sale I couldn’t say though. A Naim S/L series equivalent production would be great.

1 Like

Well, that’s good although I wouldn’t want to be the one trying to prove it either way. And of course, the rest of my post still applies.

1 Like

I don’t see anything wrong with signal input shorting plugs, whether they do anything useful in a well designed piece of equipment is another matter. (Edit, perhaps they help stop dust from getting in and they splay the connections ready for future use, ‘sarcasm intended’) Electrically the same thing could be achieved with a sensibly priced plug with a shorting link soldered in side. As for the vibration damping feature, well the unused socket in the back of the equipment wasn’t especially prone to vibration before and adding a fancy shorting plug is adding a ‘body’ which can be prone to vibration then to add some vibration deadening ‘sand’ to help mitigate this is IMO nuts. Not to mention the additional risk of damage to the equipment socket if the long shorting plug gets knocked!

HH, hope you get another badge soon.

1. A person can be happy with the NAIM sound and don’t feel it necessary to take it further.
  2. You’re unaware that there are multiple sources of noise and reducing or removing those would improve your listening experience without changing out kit.

Naim kit is very noisy. The cases ring and the circuits are full of noise. End result is part of the sound(prat).

I think - if you don’t sort out the mains and the room, no system will sound they way it was designed to perform.

With any kit, best to try first and then form an opinion. Taking a piss on something that may or may not work for you may be fun, but not productive in my opinion.

Normally, people do what they want to do. With everything else there is an excuse.

MN

2 Likes

This thread should’ve been a poll! :grinning:

If this device performs the wonders described, surely Naim would even now be looking at how they could build the equivalent into all future products. Other manufacturers likewise.

While the link is always interesting, there are lots of legitimate companies producing legitimate products on the receiving end of such rulings. The rulings are concerned with what you can and cannot claim in an ad, and not so much with the product evaluation. I.e. you can have a perfectly legitimate product and still overstate things in the ad.

The hands waving of Chord in their explanations is nevertheless amusing, but on the other hand nothing new in the audio world

AQ has dust caps that are much cheaper and according to AQ magically prevent RF from entering into the socket. Much better effect per pound :wink: