Concerts planned for 2024

Yes looking forward to it. If his concert is anything like his ‘live’ album should be great.

N.M.A - October.

Just bought tickets to see Martin Hayes at Union Chapel in October. In case anyone is interested, Rickie Lee Jones playing there August 29th (I’m at the End of the Road festival so can’t go). Tix on sale now

1 Like

Two Ese and The Vooduu People gigs coming up! As I couldn’t make their last one, I am stoked for these…

June 8 Bankside Festival, by the River.

June 20 Crazy Coqs Cabaret

:heart::green_heart::yellow_heart:

1 Like

4 Likes

I was thinking about popping along to the Wigmore Hall recital on Monday, had a look at the programme and I’m not sure I can take an hour of solo accordion, even played by a master. It includes a rescoring of the Chaconne from Bach’s Partita No. 2 which would be fascinating.

1 Like

Just purchased tickets for Jeff Lorber at Ronnie Scott’s for 9th November.

He will be taking the stage with Jimmy Haslip on Bass and Joel Taylor on Drums - should be great!

2 Likes

Are they still going?

How was it?

I’m going with Mrs. JimDog to Nils Frahm at the Bridgewater Hall next Wednesday.

Nuff said:

Except…be there!!!

And/or…for Berliners, July 19.

1 Like

Sorry for my curiosity but did you attend also these shows played in Auckland - Western Springs Stadium: LED ZEPPELIN 25 February 1972 DEEP PURPLE 13 November 1975 ? Also BAD COMPANY planned a gig there 23 March 1975 but cancelled (poor tickets sales I suppose)

I’m too young I’m afraid - born in 1966. I did get to see Deep Purple in the 90’s though - The Perfect Strangers tour, in London.

3 Likes

On Friday it’s time, Sweden’s greatest rock poet of all time Lars Winnerbäck!! :orange_heart::grin: A small sign of his popularity is that his vinyl now fetching hundreds of pounds on the secondary market…

Just bought tickets for Pat Metheny in Bologna, in November! To get good seats you have to move very quickly these days, absurdly months in advance. But he is the only Jazz player my wife will listen to.

In a couple of days it is Richard Ashcroft in Kew Gardens. My wife’s choice, but I have warmed to his music.

2 Likes

Take a while to visit IL LIBRACCIO book/records/cd shop in Bologna Via Oderdan (few steps from Bologna Two Towers Monument). Inside this shop you will find a lot of used stuff too ! Some nice item to add to your collection ! Keep Rockin’ !

1 Like

A few looming on the horizon. In August I will be seeing Squeeze in Blackburn & The Zutons in Chester. In October it’s The Jim Jones All Stars in Birkenhead then in November it’s Glen Matlock in Buckley. And to finish the year, a certain Mr McCartney for my first gig at the new Co-op Live in Manchester.

I saw Nils Frahm last night.

Most of the crowd were very happy with it, and he had a pile of fancy kit.

It didn’t do much for me, but I am now so attuned to Joachim Kühn, Bley, Jarrett, Mehldau, Peterson, et al playing acoustic pianos that listening to huge PA systems playing samples of angelic voices and pounding sub bass notes that wiggle your trouserlegs seems a bit crass!

Tonal shades of Oxygene in parts…

But he got 2 standing ovations, so this is just my personal reaction to that particular gig.

I loved All Melody:

1 Like

Was going to cut down on gigs this year, especially those that involve a night away from Oxford. Best laid plans… Hey ho.
Hawkwind, Bath Forum, 16th August
John Etheridge’s Zapatistas, Pizza Express, Dean Street, 5th September.
Alabama Three Acoustic, Sub Rooms, Stroud, 6th September
Robyn Hitchcock, Jericho Tavern, Oxford, 10th September
The John Martyn Project, The Goods Shed, Stroud, 20th September
Cara Dillon, Sub Rooms, Stroud, 6th October
Public Service Broadcasting, Albert Hall, Manchester, 18th October
Max Richter, Royal Festival Hall, 9th November.

December’s looking a bit barren, but have Steven Wilson at the Palladium and War of the Worlds at the O2 lined up for next year.

1 Like

I was there too @JimDog. It was an interesting gig, mainly because of all the kit. I agree with you that it was pretty simple sounding overall, although the glass harmonica he played to begin and close the main set sounded pretty amazing. Overall it was more entertaining than watching England underperform. I also have All Melody which didn’t get a look in during last night’s set.

1 Like

Ana Vidovic - November 17
Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin - December 3

Both in NYC.

The bit that got my interest was when he bent down near the end, and started hitting some kind of strings or inner guts of one of the organs or pianos with what looked like plastic brushes, which was reminiscent of something he did with plastic brushes on the taut strings inside a grand piano :musical_keyboard: a few years ago at the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.

2 Likes