Crazy names

Say it aloud. “Naim’s tuner was the NATO one”

A simple solution for Rega would be to just move the first i to the end and still maintain the Egyptian heritage of the CD player. The current president there is also named el SISI…

Some of the Naim speakers stand out, the Ovator, Allae, Credo?
My favourite is still the Nesting Box Loudspeaker though. :grin:

Wasn’t the first initials for the DBL known as FBL?

Silly boy, it’s nested.

Im sure Rega do not need a solution to a make believe problem.

I have both brother and sister [Osiris and Isis] and have always known them as being named after the Egyptian couple.

I know but I prefer my version.

If your brother and sister are called Isis and Osiris, I suspect your real name is a lot more exotic than Folkman.

1 Like

Interesting that Linn Products have their quant way of spelling products they manufacture. Perhaps its due to them being a Scottish company and their use of English is regarded as a second language or even secondry.
If you want crazy names then look at the model number of your TV.

And as Bob said:

“I married Isis on the fifth day of May
But I could not hold on to her very long
So I cut off my hair and I rode straight away
For the wild unknown country where I could not go wrong”

1 Like

I think that it is a rather interesting, possibly clever, little conceit. I rather like it.

Ive always said “gnat” in my head, not “Nate.” I dont know why! Long a in Naim; should be long a in NAT I suppose.

From what I’ve read, it just became a “thing” with Linn; started with a little bit of an inside joke and then just became a theme. NOT due to some lack of versatility or prowess with the Queen’s English.

I too. And in NAC and NAP. The long ‘a’ in Naim is because of the moderation of the ‘i’, I always thought. And NAT (short ‘a’) distinguishes from Nait.

1 Like

Apart from the single box range, the whole Naim numbering system seems crazy.

Well, what else would you expect from a company with products called SNAPS and NAPSC :rofl:?

1 Like

So apologies if you know this, but there is history behind it. Naim’s original (Chrome Bumper/olive) pres were numbered in order of launch. The first stereo pre was the 12, the second 22, the third 32 etc, the 2s at the end being 2-channel. When the black box series came along in 2002, the pres that were replaced with new models with a 2 prefix, the 102 because the 202, the 82 became the 282 and the 52 became the 252. The higher end pre that was added round that time was added to the 500 series (see below) became the 552 presumably because the 52 was the highest level pre of the earlier series.
The power amps are named after their power output into 4 ohms, the 135s I use are 135W into 4 ohms mono amps, the 250 is 125W into 4 ohms stereo (2*125). The 500 is also based on being 250W/channel into 4 ohms, but I think also helped name the 500 series, but am not totally sure.

2 Likes

There is no doubt that the most toxic audio products on the market belong to Shunyata’s Venom line.

1 Like

MAD My Clapton

Should have just called them Eric

2 Likes

Reminds me of the dumb Chord names. Dave??

1 Like