Cricket

Dropping Root would be ridiculous. Form temporary, class permanent.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t dump him I think he’s a legend but a lot of current players are coming up to their use by dates.

1 Like

Australia having those discussions about Smith and some others perhaps? Just how long does Lyon continue? Starc?

England have shown themselves prepared to try (and stick with) younger players. Brooks 24 (unavailable just now), Crawley 25, Pope 26. Playing 3 spinners 19, 20 and 23yrs respectively!

Bruce

We’ve got a team full of pensioners, most still at the top of their game but surely some must be thinking about their future. Interestingly we played a team full of newbies last night, a couple of new bowlers and batsmen. They did win quite comfortably.

If anybody in the England teams form is giving cause for concern it’s Bairstow.

3 Likes

In my view there is a touch of cronyism in the team; but management has shown ambition with the spinners, but not so with the bats. Perhaps it’s a question of attitude?

I read yesterday in a right wing newspaper that Cook would fancy his chances in the team, although Stokes says Cook could not fit in. It’s a moot point as Cook has retired, but I would like to think that could have adapted his game, just as Root has tried to adapt his game.

1 Like

I think most sides pick the same batting lineup for longer periods, barring injury, but shuffle bowling resources in different conditions and to share workload. It is often said that when batsmen fail it is the bowlers who get switched for the next match!

I agree re Bairstow though. For me Brooks when available replaces him, not Foakes. Wouldn’t bet on it happening though.

Bruce

5 Likes

I agree totally. I’d have played Foakes all the time as he’s a decent bat but more importantly a world class keeper.

2 Likes

Got a multiple choices this afternoon, NZ v SA day 1 of their first test, Aus v WIs in the 2nd of their ODI and day 3 of the 2nd test between India and England.

I’m going to stick my neck out here. England won’t win this match.

:thinking::face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Disappointed by crowd numbers, for a stadium that doesn’t get that much test cricket, very sparsely attended

Really? They were saying on commentary it is over 80% full. Big ground too, over 27,000. Numbers were good for the first Test too, over 100,000 over the match I believe.

Bruce

I heard that on the radio as well.

I saw vast swathes of empty stands yesterday

Cometh the hour, cometh the Root – a target of 400 over 2+ days in the 4th innings is highly gettable :grin:

– but only if India bowl full tosses and take the wicket out of the equation :scream:

2 Likes

Aussies struggled @ 9/258 but bowled the WIs out for 175. Aussies go 2 up in the best of 3.

New Zealand are punishing South Africa for sending a second string test team. Ravindra is currently 239 not out.

You did the ‘commentator’s curse’ on Ravindra – he only made 1 more :grin: – and it looks like SA’s ‘2nd XI’ is struggling. One has to ask why SA are playing Test cricket when they’re in the middle of their domestic T20 competition!

Meanwhile, England progress*…with a bit of help from Rohit Sharma in setting defensive fields it seems. He’s obviously hoping the state of the wicket is the trump card here.

edit – ooops.

Yep I think he was out just I pushed reply and looked up. :grin:

Don’t think they’ll be any miracle today guys, not looking good at 196/6 at tea.