Cricket

Fine line between positive and reckless perhaps crossed today? Root and Bairstow beginning to owe some runs to the team I think. I have no issues with Root (as discussed in this thread before) but when Bairstow doesn’t keep I am less sure. Mind you I thought he was too inconsistent and should be dropped at at the start of 2022 and he flayed it to all parts that summer. So if you are listening Jonny…

I’d still rather England got rolled playing whilst attempting to win rather than just pushing and prodding for the same outcome as was so often the case before when they played in India.

Bruce

3 Likes

I think Root developed a method to be one of the best batsmen England have ever had. But he appears to have parked it on a shelf and decided to try something different.
Being positive doesn’t have to mean brainless. I watched England at Lords last summer, (a great day with Pete), go from 188 for 1 to then give it away. Australia put about 9 men behind square and started bowling short. England just obliged and lost the match.

Woke up very disappointed this morning, but not surprised, sadly.

Gee guys bit of a collapse, 182/2 to all out for just over 300 must be a bit disappointing. Still if you can bowl out India cheaply you’re still in with a chance.

I fear that that bird has just flown.

1 Like

In what sense is it not now time to finally drop Bairstow?

1 Like

Interesting Stat.

Michael Vaughan:

India’s pace are averaging 19.9 in this series. Their spinners 37.4.

All the talk of how you must play spin well in India, it’s the seamers who have done the damage

1 Like

He won’t want this one.

“Bairstow’s duck in Rajkot marked an unwanted milestone as he surpassed former Pakistan bowler Danish Kaneria, becoming the player with the most ducks against India in Test cricket.”

Could be over today!!

With a bit of luck - back to the drawing board methinks.

Sad news: no not the demise of England in India, but the death of Mike Procter: South Africa cricket legend dies aged 77 Mike Procter: South Africa cricket legend dies aged 77 - BBC Sport

As a keen schoolboy cricketer he was a hero of mine; although, I could not replicate his bowling action. He will be missed here in Proctershire.

4 Likes

The run rate has dropped to about 2 an over which is unacceptable!

Very sad. He was one of those cricketers you always enjoyed watching and definitely one of the very best allrounders.

2 Likes

He was a superb all-rounder - remember him being the kingpin of the Gloucestershire side. Sad news.

2 Likes

I remember watching this live on TV.

2 Likes

Don’t remind me, that’s my beloved home county he slayed :frowning_face:

1 Like

I think Barry Richards was one of the wickets? He was a brilliant player.

3 Likes

Yep, in the days when the CC was populated by international players. Hants had Richards (due to SA issues), Greenidge and Andy Roberts. Many an early evening on Sundays was spent watching JPL games on BBC2…and in those days they often played the limited overs competitions in to the coming dusk-light hours where, as a viewer, you really had little idea what was going on!

3 Likes

So does England’s 2nd innings debacle get consigned as a ‘bad day at the office’ or has India, primarily through its batting, now got the wood over England?

I’m inclined to think the latter, as I cannot see anyone of the quality of Jaiswal in the England set-up. For reasons which escape me (and I’m sure many others), Root appears to have lost focus on treasuring his wicket.

1 Like

Yes, the CC was incredibly strong. My county, Worcestershire, had seven test players in the mid 70s, although I can’t prove they were ever all in the team at once. In the days when overseas players were part of the team and played every season for the same club. Turner and Basil were my heroes when I was at School.

Glenn Turner, Ron Headley, John Parker, Basil D’Oliveria, Norman Gifford, Imran Khan, Vanburn Holder.

2 Likes

India dominant with bat and ball in this Test. England have to learn and develop their style to the local conditions. Just ‘going harder’ is not going to work.

I think Lawrence might get a game and perhaps the seamers swap around a bit, but the next location is unlikely to have a very different surface. The final match in Dharamshala might.

Bruce

1 Like