Cricket

‘Good old Dolly’ - as Basil Fawlty might say.

1 Like

Amazing, his test career was between 66 and 72. He was possibly still playing Test Cricket at 43 and county cricket at about 52. Still managed to average 40. It’s a pity we never saw him in his young 20s.

"D’Oliveira’s age was the subject of some conjecture - as explained by BBC Radio 5 live’s Pat Murphy, who co-authored his autobiography ‘Time to Declare’.

Murphy said: "Basil had to lie about his age because he thought if they realised how old he was they would not pick him for England.

“So he came down from born in 1935 at that time, solidifying his place in the team as 1933 born and when I wrote his book in 1980 he finally conceded he was born in 1928. By my calculation, he was 38 when he first played for England in 1966 and 83 when he died.”" BBC.

2 Likes

England are very frustrating. Patience seems to have completely disappeared. My grandfather described watching Wilfred Rhodes bowling before WW1. When Wilfrid came in as last man against Australia needing 15 runs George Hirst said, We’ll get them in singles, Wilfred which they did. Quite a lot of runs when Rhodes and Hirst had bowled out Australia for 36 runs at Birmingham that year. Now Rhodes would be told; two sixes and and a four, Wilfred!

2 Likes

Three sixes!

1 Like

Sad to read that the fine Yorkshire batsman Doug Padgett has just passed. Remember seeing him play towards the end of his career.

2 Likes

Sounds like a village pitch from 40 yrs ago.

2 Likes

Just perhaps, a very good toss to win and bat first? Am not saying anything about the scoreline, other than Root is doing nicely, and getting support.

2 Likes

Watched today on catch-up. A great day of proper Test cricket. Good batting (Jaiswal), bowling and captaincy by each side. Hard to remember how inexperienced England’s spinners are; Bashir was just fantastic, not just getting tickets but keeping control.

I think things are still fairly balanced. The pitch is getting slow and low but it isn’t unplayable. Yet!

Bruce

3 Likes

Been listening to the commentary this morning. It is a form of masochism.

2 Likes

Judging by comments on the Beeb, England need to get the ball changed early doors (after say 8/10 overs), to one’s that ~30 overs old, as this is the age when it gets soft enough to grip and turn.

1 Like

As Michael Vaughan wrote this morning- “England’s bad days are really, really bad”.

2 Likes

…especially when you play Rohit in with some full bung buffet bowling.

1 Like

Yes, terrible first few overs.

250 would have been interesting I think, but something dramatic needed to stop India getting this now.

Bruce

2 Likes

A bit like the rugby, go up early in the game (series) and flatter to deceive :frowning_face:

1 Like

India were also a bit undercooked at the start of the series.

Bruce

Well, that’s that then…perhaps a bit of a damp squib at the end (and losing the series), but at least England have ‘had a go’ and blooded some much-needed spinners in helpful conditions. Respect to India as, once again, they’ve showed their immense strength in depth.

3 Likes

It’s been mentioned that Bazball hasn’t won any series but I have to admit I’ve started looking at test cricket on a game by game basis.
As such I’m more interested in the entertainment than if we get the best of a five game series by any means.
I think Bazball is test crickets saviour, gone are the dull days of ensuring you don’t lose before trying to win.
Well played India and England, let’s hope future series are as exciting.

6 Likes

India have been more impressive as the series has progressed but far from vintage. Watching Jaiswal has been a joy but I can’t help feeling that in the the matches they lost England were one or two bad sessions away from changing the result. They have generally given it a go and been competitive most of the time apart from the 3rd Test conclusion. Considering the loss of Leach, the immaturity of the three remaining spinners and the unfamiliar (but not unfair) nature of the wickets I think that 3:1 with one to play is a reasonable achievement. Plaudits to Stokes in general (although goofed yesterday with spinners struggling to grip a new ball at the start of the India innings in my view) and a nod to Anderson who remains pure class.

I’m looking forward to the last match on what might be quite a seamer-friendly wicket. I paid a one month subscription to watch the series and I am happy with the vfm. It has never been dull.

Bruce

3 Likes

I think the frustration is that England keep getting themselves into really good positions and then have a terrible session or two.

Interestingly, Hawkeye beginning to be questioned. Root’s last dismissal was given out by the system but to everybody looking it pitched outside leg. Plus it sometimes shows the ball going on the hit the stumps when it is a surprise to those watching.

1 Like

That is true but have to give some credit as at times an Indian batsman or bowler has taken the game away. Bumrah for example, Juvel and co in the first Indian innings this Test

As for Hawkeye, I understand the challenge but I reckon it is right more often than the naked eye. Especially for little nicks, bat/pad etc. It has also really changed the way spinners are played, and rewarded. Good things I think, and managing referrals etc has become part of the game and captaincy skillset.

Bruce

4 Likes