Cricket

Not sure if I agree completely true no one likes boring cricket but ultimately no one likes losing either. Think the criticism was based on some of the shot selection lack of patience and not reading the game correctly. The harsh reality is England has not won a series since the Bazball thingy started.

1 Like

My point is I’d rather lose a series that contained five exciting games than win it by playing five dull games.
I enjoy cricket but get bored by a win at all costs or failing that hang on for a draw no matter what.
Judging by attendances the public prefer Bazball and they are essential for crickets survival.

Eh? Think you will find that they have. And this will be their first series loss.

Sorry I stand corrected since bazball (I didn’t realise it went back as far as it did) England has played 22 test won 14, lost 7 and drew 1. However you’ve won 3 series at home, 2 overseas against Ireland and Pakistan hardly stiff opposition.

You’ve drawn against Aus and India at home drew against NZ away and lost to India. You can’t really claim that these draws are wins as that is kinda of like having it both ways considering Bazball is about winning not drawing. Also I’d argue that some of those draws might have gone Englands way if it wasn’t for some impatient and reckless batting on Englands part.

Your ranking supports my statement that Bazball although entertaining hasn’t yet been a major success. But that’s just my opinion.

Don’t completely disagree I do just like good cricket. While draws can be frustrating I’ve also witnessed some great games of cricket that ended in draws. As for crowds they are fickle and T20 imo as dumb them down but I do know no one likes losing. Bazball has been (and probably will continue to be) entertaining but I think it’s encouraging some poor batting. Some are predetermining what shot they’ll play before the balls even been bowled. Looks fantastic when it works and damn horrible when it doesn’t. Joe Root (I’m a big fan) is a perfect example his innings last test was the Joe Root of old. He played himself in by playing the ball on its merit.

Anyway I think we can all agree on one thing that test cricket played well (regardless on tags etc) is definitely worth saving.

2 Likes

I never claimed the draws were wins. :crazy_face:

I agree that some should have been won including the Ashes. It’s work in progress. And it’s been a lot more fun than the previous 17 (?) tests.

2 Likes

Went past this on our way home today.

The Phil Hughes bridge over the Nambucca River, sorry about the photo but it’s hard at 118 kms

4 Likes

Watched some of a WIPL game yesterday and the ‘ball tracking’ appeared more than a tad awry e.g. right arm leg spinner, bowling to a left hander, pretty much stump to stump line. Pitched leg stump, the close-up showed the ball straightened a tad (it was a ‘leggy’). ‘Ball tracking’ suggested it bounced and would have gone on to hit off-stump, which was nothing like the potential scenario painted by the TV pics and the close-up. Hmmm…

Alyssa Healy at the non-striker’s end was bemused, as were the commentary team – but nothing much was said, I suspect as negative observation of the technology isn’t allowed?!

3 Likes

Saw that,I think bemused is the right word

DRS has done wonders in improving the on screen experience/ umpire neutrality etc, I would hate it to follow in the VAR model.

1 Like

I must admit that lately one or two DRS decisions have appeared to contradict the evidence of the tv pictures.
I wonder if the system has recently been “updated”? If it has it needs checking.

2 Likes

Been watching bits of the India v England game while in hospital. You guys had a great start but are currently 185/8, well at least their golf handicap has improved.

1 Like

Yes , we are playing the sprint game, whilst the other teams are settling down for the 5,000 metres .

Hope all is going well

My very best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Sometimes you have to learn and adapt as a team. Not sure this is visible with England just.

Bruce

1 Like

Some England batsmen playing like idiots again. I’m beginning to wonder if some of them actually are idiots. Can’t blame the lower order but it is the lack of application that hurts. Bairstow faced 18 balls and played like it was 28 to win from the last over of a white ball game. Pope goes walkabout.
Another good start tossed away. It is not easy out there but at least try to build an innings.

I wonder if they would play like that if all of their remuneration was linked to performance.

Maybe I need to calm down.:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Remuneration links to performance

Shame, shame shame for suggesting such an idea

1 Like

Sadly the only performance indicator is a win. Unless they get a bonus for being selected or turning up.

1 Like

Smith looks totally out of form and I doubt he’ll be around long enough to face England in the next Ashes. Labuschagne is also struggling, it’s a shame but I definitely think there’s better openers in Australia that are just chumping at the bit to have a crack.

Ben Stokes. Who writes his scripts!

Pete. There are a few in this England squad who are on the last lap. Root probably gets another summer but it isn’t hard to imagine the next Ashes without Anderson, Root, Bairstow, Leach, Robinson for starters. The difference might be that I am not sure England have a lot of quality waiting in the wings.

Only one way to find out, and it isn’t by carrying the drinks

Bruce

2 Likes

True of any team sport there’s generational changes and the often throw up some surprises. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see but right now England isn’t looking too good.

2 Likes

All a bit late though, sadly. When you bat like a 2nd XI sprinkled with a few 1st XI players, the writing is on the wall. England on this tour don’t appear to have the talent to dig in, having been flattered (as ever) by one or two good performances. Consistency is what counts though.

2 Likes