Cricket

This ‘new England’ was always a construct that hid the lack of deep quality. The initial ‘revolution’ under Stokes was basically with the same personnel that had been so poor before and in general we haven’t seen a great deal of talent come through since.

This squad is now looking a bit threadbare and I hope the message gets through. Stokes and Mccullum aren’t stupid, and they have been bold on this trip picking young spinners. It is time for some future planning in other departments now.

Bruce

2 Likes

I’ve always viewed ‘Baz-Ball’ as a mathematical approach to cricket, whereby when you have a team of modest talent (compared to others), then the hope is one or two get a decent score, so as to propel the team along. The alternative is they scratch around for runs and the absence of talent in being able to defend your wicket delivers very modest outcomes. Unfortunately, Root, who anchored the team batting-wise and appeared to guide to the latter approach, has got sucked in to the former approach.

There’s no doubt in my mind that today’s players are happier playing shots, obviously borne from the white ball game, and an absence of success in the latter is a massive hurdle to overcome when there are so few ‘quality’ CC games nowadays.

1 Like

So much written and could be said about Bazball but one of the biggest issues is that there appears to be no plan B when batting. No apparent adaptation to the situation or conditions.

In the field Stokes has actually been a proactive and creative captain. With the bat his side seem to have little of that cricketing intelligence.

Bruce

3 Likes

Bottom line - let’s face it, India have a game and teams for all surfaces, England don’t. The only way England can compete on a consistent basis is on hard tracks, with a moving red ball. Playing the likes of Woody every now and again is not how things should be.

2 Likes

Current Test Championship table.

Think the lack of judgement and shot selection has been the biggest issue. In the first innings of this test the strike rate was average except for Bairstow and he got out cheaply. As Bruce says there’s not a plan B, the coach and captain has to take responsibility for the performance.

1 Like

That’s likely to change as Aus beat NZ in four days in the first test in NZ and bowled them out for 152 in the first innings of the second test. I was hoping you blokes could’ve rolled India in this test to help. :grin:

We’d need one of these to roll India and Australia over

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

More like who’s his surgeon.

This is sad. He made me a couple of bats himself in the 80s and 90s. He would sponsor and provide bats to professionals but they had to come to the factory shop. Bumped into some famous names a few times.
Kallicharran chose a bat for me once, it was the only Fearney bat I had that was a complete plank, the others were brilliant.

5 Likes

My weapon of choice when I was a lad. Duncan Fearnley Magnum.
(not this one - this one, a net photo, is signed by Sir Viv among others apparently…)

2 Likes

Yes, and mine, along with many other players at the time.

1 Like

Impressed with NZ fast bowler Matt Henry 67-7. He ripped through the Aussies in the first innings with only Labuschagne offering any real resistance. Aus still finished with 94 run lead in the first innings, good to see pitches that offer something for the bowlers and batters if they’re good enough.

3 Likes

Gee England seems to be on the verge of an innings defeat. I’m afraid it’s back to the drawing board.

England are almost on the plane home. These last few innings have shown no progress or learning. Not quite fully back to the drawing board but returning to English conditions mustn’t hide the limitations. They are due to tour Pakistan in the autumn too.

India have bowled well after looking a bit rusty in the first Test and brought on some fantastic debutant batters during the series. Virat who? An embarrassment of riches.

Great for Jimmy to get his 700th wicket.

Bruce

2 Likes

You’d like to think but the cupboard at home isn’t stocked-up with new talent as far as I can see. Yes, we’ve blooded some new spinners, one of whom may not get much county game-time in 2024, as his team have signed ‘Gary’!

And the performances can’t be ascribed to the wickets, as they’ve been pretty fair to both teams.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree re the wickets. Good sub-continent surfaces, but you can make runs if you work hard, and take wickets too.

Bruce

Through another lens, another tour which has highlighted the massive gulf in technique and application (plus talent!) between the likes of India & Australia as compared to England.

1 Like

We had our first club pre season indoor net yesterday. I totally agree :smile:.

Bruce