Cricket

Memorable times indeed – and as @Wugged_Woy has posted, there was a ‘battle of the bats’ back then IIRC, with SS having the Jumbo and Fearnley the Magnum, in part things complicated as Sir Viv played with SS kit (inc. Jumbo) and then left Somerset, along with Botham, post a falling-out at the county. Mind you, you needed someone with strong forearms to use these heavier bats effectively.

Having watched some of the WPL this year, I’d love to see how hard the white ball is, and how good some of the bats are, as the ball is going a long way in to the stands on occasions. It’s kinda tennis ball stuff.

2 Likes

I am going to be brave enough to say bazball has ruined some of your best batsmen. I love Joe Root, watching him bat was a delight watching him now is like chalk on a board. He’s lost all that class and skill trying to play every ball like his last. Thankfully he’s last few innings showed glimpses of the old JR playing the ball on its merit and thinking about the game and not his run rate. Stokes is also suffering the pressure on him is immense.

3 Likes

Definition of Bazball???

2 Likes

Is anyone watching the European Cricket League, it looks like I’d get a run at. It’s even played on artificial turf over what looks like concrete. Highly entertaining.

The Magnum was actually much lighter than the Jumbo, and the back-lift was remarkably light and smooth. A great all round bat.

Hooking with the Jumbo was a challenge. Not enough time to get the darned thing up in the air !! Driving was brutal though.

Aussies win 2nd test in NZ by 3 wickets and a series win, great game where both sides had their chances. NZ unveiled a couple of good bowlers Ben Sears and Matt Henry their performance kept the Kiwis in the game. Steve Smith still a struggle with confidence and form.

Marsh (80) and Carey (*98) rescued the Aussie at 80/5.

Sorry bros across the ditch. :grin:

And me :crazy_face::crazy_face:

Never gave you a thought. :grin:

Thought so you Aussie heathen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If we are to get beat by anyone I’d rather it be the Kiwis but I’d still rather just not got beaten. :grin:

True

The Aussie cricket record of 31 years over the kiwis is far better than the kiwi bledisloe record of 21 years over the wallabies

I reckon it’s time for Smith to go he’s had his dash

Think NZ showed some good fight just a few minor tweaks and they’ll be back up there. The new captain is struggling while we have the opposite Cummins is turning into a legend pretty quickly he’s definitely a decent bloke.

I’ve stated earlier that Smith will struggle to hold his place it’s like he’s forgotten how to bat.

It’s a pity this thread only gets really active when Englands plays.

1 Like

Yep time for change

I believe Smith and wife have 3 or 4 properties in Balmain/ Birchgrove

Well there’s around $8-10m don’t think he’ll suffer.

Double that these days Pete

Totally out of control around here

Cummings is certainly an impressive person and player. Conducts himself really well.

His choice of wife shows he also has good taste and judgement.:rofl:

2 Likes

Let me guess she’s English. :grin:

1 Like

Nice back story and he must be quite modest. Found this online.

"The pair’s love story spans almost 10 years after they met for the first time in 2013 in Sydney’s bustling nightlife district.

Pat was 20 when he met then 22-year-old Becky at a bar at King’s Cross.

After striking up conversation, the two went and enjoyed a meal together at McDonald’s, starting what would be a romance for the Aussie history books.

Being over from the UK on a visa, Becky wasn’t aware of the cricketer’s sporting status.

“The first couple of times I met Becky, I told her I was a uni student because, technically, I was. I left out the cricket part,”

Then one day, a few weeks after we started dating, she walked past a KFC in the city, and on the front was me wearing a bucket hat."

“She reckons she did a double take and was like, ‘Hang on, that’s Pat’,” he recalled.

3 Likes

Great story, I really like him he’s just who he is. Got in a spot bother around Australia Day when he back moving the day to better reflect our indigenous past. The Australian captain isn’t meant to make those kind of thoughts public, good on him Mrs Pete and I like more for been upfront and honest (and right).

1 Like

I remember when he gave some of his IPL earnings to fund covid vaccines in India - absolutely top bloke and superb cricketer. Which is why I think he shouldn’t be the Aussie captain.
Replace him with a miserable bastard in the Border/Waugh mode and watching Ashes cricket would be a lot less complicated for some Englishmen!

1 Like