Cricket

The old enemy this evening.:cricket_bat_and_ball:

2 Likes

Hmm, Jacks and Wood’s first overs both go for 22. Not sure England understand the idea of this cricket malarkey.

1 Like

Not going well is it – is Southgate the manager of this team :slight_smile:

It appears bowling at the stumps isn’t the preferred option today.

Some liquorice allsorts bowling.

2 Likes

If Buttler wants to be Captain then he should not keep wicket. There are 3 keepers in the team.

He keeps running up to the bowler between balls for a chat, It wastes a lot of time and it just looks terrible. I think he is just stubborn.

4 Likes

Anybody know the address of the leader of the band so Buttler can send him a cheque?

I think that should have been a dead ball.

May my testicles wither and shrink, and may I be struck by lightning for being so kind to Mr Wade…

Well, that went well…

1 Like

Yep very well.

Just beaten by a better team on the day.

Good morning Pete…

Poor captaincy…in the first six overs…and good playing , very hard to catch up once momentum lost

Best wishes in the empty corridors …hoping you are feeling good ?

Ian

1 Like

Morning Ian game caught me by surprise our last game started around 10am. Last night game was a 3am start, think they were thinking more about you guys than us.

Agreed think England looked lost.

1 Like

Buttler gives the 2nd over to a guy who has bowled only two overs ever in international cricket.

Then he wonders why the opposition is 50 for none after 3 overs after having 3 runs after the first over.
Good batting though.

2 Likes

I didn’t watch (it is subscription only) but heard some commentary.

Australia certainly enjoyed a good day out. Some odd captaincy/selection decisions? Livingstone and Jacks continue to have me scratching my head, although the latter appeared to bowl well enough and I’m told Jacks had a good IPL with the bat if not the ball. Bairstow…nuff has been said by me in the past. I also think Wood v Warner/Head was probably never going to go that well and Topley might have been a better choice. Whatever, although this is clearly a talented side one defeat and one abandonment now has them under pressure to progress.

T20 remains for me a deeply unsatisfying format with little nuance and the possibility of any team beating another more or less in one-off games. So far we’ve had Pakistan beaten by the US and NZ thrashed by Afghanistan. Australia beating England in a one off game isn’t a big shock but we all know it could just as easily be the other way around next time. Of course you might say that this makes the format and the competition excitingly unpredictable. Personally I am just not bothered. Here we are 2nd week of June and it is still a month before we have a home Test Match. Grrr.

Bruce

5 Likes

I think Pakistan may be redeeming themselves after the debacle against the USA. India, not for the first time, are making life look very difficult – this said, the pitch appears to be assisting the bowlers a lot.

3 Likes

And then there is Bumrah. Having seen him live a couple of times he’s so deceptive, his stuttering run shouldn’t allow him to develop that pace yet he does, and I can’t see how he gets that much swing and/or seam movement with his action. A one-off master.

3 Likes

Indeed – India never gave up, and it was interesting to hear Amir (the Pakistan bowler) say at the interval the pitch was challenging and India’s score was reasonable. There was movement off the wicket throughout yesterday, plus the swing didn’t expire after only 3/4 overs. It’s all far from the concrete runways England have played on in major competitions, and we know some of the England team struggle when surfaces & conditions are helpful to bowlers. Playing Jacks, Livingstone and Bairstow in the same team is a luxury IMHO, in that they can get lots of runs on flat tracks, but equally fail.

And the great thing about Bumrah is that he goes after the stumps, unlike England’s bowlers who seem to think bowling short and wide is the recipe for success.

Could it be that the ICC has organised a competition where bowling just short of a length adjacent to the stumps is the way to go on these strips (?), letting the batsmen get themselves out, as that’s what many of them are doing! Shock horror, something for the bowlers at last :slight_smile:

Pakistan were unlucky at times yesterday, as India could have been back in the hutch for under 100.

2 Likes

Agree regarding Jacks, Bairstow and Livingstone. However, I think we’ve become so confused we are not sure what to do next.

I concur with the views that having a WK as captain (in any format) is sub-optimal, as you cannot see the vista of the field. At times, it’s looked like things are being made up on the hoof. England’s batting looks fragile, for the reasons mentioned above, and the bowling lacks the ability to contain, not helped by Wood only offering-up ‘hit me’ pace at this level and I’m not sure what Jordan is offering, as it’s neither one thing or another.

1 Like

Exactly. It just isn’t cricket.

Hmmm, SA v Bangladesh today at the same ground as India v Pakistan yesterday, and runs have been hard to come by, as the pitch is offering variable pace & bounce, with a slow sand-based outfield.

I think the name of the ground is an oxymoron ? - Nassau County International Cricket Stadium, New York. IMHO, it’s barely fit for T20. I wonder what else is played on this park?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I heard that it was built specifically for this tournament and will remain as a cricket stadium after the tournament, with some changes that I can’t remember.,

I think I heard that it is a pop-up stadium and it will be completely gone.

From BBC.

Scotland will confirm their place in the Super 8s if they win their final game, but they could still progress regardless.

Australia will definitely progress with two wins, but one victory is likely to be enough.

Namibia need to win both of their games, or beat Australia and hope other results go their way.

England need to win both of their games and likely overturn a big net run-rate difference to progress.

Oman are eliminated.