Cricket

Hello, Aussies 60/3 in 9th over way behind the run rate.

You can wake happy knowing that we’ve done you a favour and won by 5 wickets with 2 balls spare. I do feel sorry for Scotland David was dropped the ball before.

1 Like

Much appreciated and good to see Scotland put in an heroic effort. In truth they deserved it more than we have.

1 Like

Hard not to feel the Scotland side have been unfortunate in this tournament, as they’ve done very well, albeit with a SA or 2 sprinkled in (as usual nowadays). As for Hazelwood’s comments on the Aussies giving up a game, I suspect Cricket Australia’s CEO would get a call from their PM is this was ever a reality. Aussie humour, delivered very dry…

T20 World Cup 2024: England make Super 8s after Australia beat Scotland - BBC Sport

As for yesterday’s wicket for the England game, that wouldn’t be fit for a high level club game over here. I was wondering where the cowpats were :grinning:

1 Like

Been there. Done that.

:grin:

Part of playing international cricket is you have to adapt to local conditions. I think that’s an unfair criticism we can’t all have lush green fields.

3 Likes

…and molehills. Once had ‘hedgehog stopped play’ too.

Bruce

2 Likes

Pete - you’ll have to forgive my comedic licence when it comes to describing playing conditions (cowpats/hedgehogs/molehills and holes accepted), and I recognise they did well to get a game in yesterday. But, playing on a strip where a ball from a fast bowler bounces twice or more before it gets to the 'keeper and/or one with variable bounce, can be very dangerous. It can also reduce the game to a lottery. I’m no fan of concrete runway strips and fast outfields, but there are limits IMHO.

1 Like

Lockie Ferguson bowling figures today. Very rare. I was listening on the radio. You would expect an edge to go somewhere.

Bowler Overs Maidens Runs Wickets Econ
Boult 4.0 0 14 2 3.50
Southee 4.0 0 11 2 2.75
Ferguson 4.0 4 0 3 0.00
Sodhi 3.4 0 29 2 7.91
Santner 4.0 0 17 1 4.25
2 Likes

Who were they playing, those are superb T20 figs.

Papua New Guinea. That T20 powerhouse. Wouldn’t nations like PNG, Oman, Uganda, Canada etc benefit more from a Div 2 tournament playing more matches against each rather than being flayed by the Tier 1 teams?

Bruce

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that at club level the game has improved since the introduction of ex professional players. I’d say the better the opposition the faster the development.

1 Like

Not sure Scotland or USA would agree with that.

West Indies v England is like chalk down a blackboard for me. Annoyingly looks like England will scrape home and even more annoying is Bairstow is currently 46 from 21.

I know how you feel Pete about Bairstow. Whenever I see Warner walk out to the crease with that fixed grin on his face it fills my heart with joy and love… :wink:

1 Like

Yes but you only have to deal with him till the end of the WC, Bairstow I fear will be with us for a few years.

1 Like

Looking at the scorecard England did a bit better than ‘scrape home’; 15 balls to spare and 8 wickets in hand. Who knows (cares?) what the rest of the tournament holds.

Not much coverage here. Football dominates, and the WI game was at 1am or something.

Bruce

1 Like

Something we’ve learned to adapt too, but I can watch replays in the morning.

The WI/England game was on at 11am here.

I see Australia face Afghanistan in the super 8s at 1.30 AM for us. I might stay up for that one!

1 Like

Middle of the day for us, I might be up. :grin:

1 Like