Dan's thread

Masks with our avatars on ?

Graham’s might be scary :scream:

2 Likes

Personally I think the limited “Golden Tickets” for the Naim HQ visit should be for those who have overcome life saving treament and survived, this will give Dan the encouragement that this can be beaten.

Good luck Dan your posts are inspirational, such courage to post and share, keep fighting, love :heart:

14 Likes

Excellent idea if I may say so and hopefully not the same scenario as the golden ticket winners in Willy Wonka.

1 Like

Does that mean I could be in the draw…?:crossed_fingers:t4: :face_with_peeking_eye:
Edit: Just as happy to meet up with Dan in the pub by the way😉

1 Like

In addition, those who have not visited HQ before?

1 Like

I organised a forum factory tour and technical discussion a few years ago, after I’d had an accident that put me in an induced coma. Forum members were incredibly kind and supportive and when I floated the idea on the forum, lots of people expressed an interest in coming. I took a view on who I’d most like to meet, up to the limit that Naim set; I sent the list to Naim and they very kindly got in touch with everyone.

I’d gently suggest that members don’t chime in with suggestions as to how people should be chosen - overcoming life threatening illnesses, those who’ve not been before etc etc - and leave it entirely up to Dan to pick who he wants to go, once he’s clear of chemo and a date can be set. The more complicated people try to make it, the more difficult it becomes to organise. It needs to be fun for Dan and whoever he picks to go, not a logistical nightmare.

21 Likes

I think it is a really good idea to have a thread for Dan and fully support it, thanks @MikeD for starting it.

One of the things that came out of his choosing to talk about his cancer diagnosis in System Pics is that a few other people have disclosed their cancer journeys for the first time to other forumites there, which I think is a very good thing. Despite my experience of working with people in distress over many years and seeing how people do step up to offer support to those in need all the time, the level of support from forumites has been a pleasant surprise and very good to see. From reading Dan’s post it is clear he has valued this.

I am wondering how we as a group of people could help others do as Dan has done and take the big step of announcing their cancer or other life-changing or shortening illness. This community whilst having a few disagreements that get heated is a mostly supportive place and calm oasis within the maelstrom of the internet. Where kindness to others is often displayed and this thread is a perfect example of that and a reflection of what a bunch of good people we are . I am wondering though how we can create a space for others to talk about health issues and gain the support that Dan has and gain the benefits that Dan has articulated.

15 Likes

@Dan_M
Wow - I am so sorry. While going on work my first world problems with speakers (which are mind focused), there is a lot going on here.
Please - keep up and stay positive. As a pharmacist I really know what you are going through… all my wishes are send to you. Hard and difficult times … my thoughts go to you very often (writing this from my heart). Keep up

2 Likes

I think badges are a good idea as there is a risk of missing those you would like to meet, surely the main reason for such a bash.

1 Like

That sounds like a plan.

Maybe make the bigger get together on a separate day to the factory tour, possibly on licensed premises near where you live. This would be less tiring for you.

Anyway, plenty of time for that. Now you need to focus on getting through your treatment. Once you are through that, I’m sure you will be ready for a pint or two with your forumite mates.

Hic!

My thoughts are with you through this bloody treatment.

1 Like

@Dan_M, I only discovered this thread by glancing at HH’s post in System Pics. It might be worth you posting the existence of this thread in System Pics, as I suspect there could be others like me where this has passed them by.

There will be quite a few of us who will want to come to the bigger pub bash who would like to meet you, buy you a pint and shoot the breeze.

1 Like

We better be careful. If we all end up buying Dan a pint….:face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I’m just as happy letting him buy me a pint… :wink: :joy:

6 Likes

Hi @Dan_M

Here’s my main setup. Atom HE, hicap dr, snaxo bmr and 2x nap 200. It drives Ovator 600’s. Nap 200’s were serviced.

I bought the Atom HE when it was just released to have a safe haven in my 4 kid family. The Ovators were bought because they are very solid so that they would survive the kids and cats. Previous loudspeakers had replaced tweeters (twice) because some kid like to push them in.

It’s great stuff, but not used as much as the av setup and the Telly / Xbox. I’ll post an photo of that somewhere in the coming days.

5 Likes

Erm, yeah. Have you got your threads mixed up, guy? :thinking:

1 Like

Nope, it was addressed to Dan.

1 Like

This is dans thread - so all in here … all for one!

1 Like

Hi Nigel, Richard asked us to take it into a lounge forum, so @MikeD very kindly set things up!

Yes, I thought that the System Pics 2024 offered more exposure. But this is how it is!

Been a rough weekend. Tiredness kicked in big time, aches and swelling to legs, continued cold and cough! What was I expecting?

Feel like I have been hit by a truck :truck:.

Hopefully, I will be better tomorrow as intend to go to work. I can go in for shorter day or take day off as necessary.

5 Likes

It’s a great set up @Ardbeg10y and offers practicality with the kids.

I have always made sure my 4 kids don’t even touch my system. They are pretty good. Damaging tweeters and speakers could cost a fortune.

Keep them well away! :wink:

3 Likes

Not the right thing to do in my opinion.

Conferences/meetings I used to attend often involved being introduced to many new people.

When you got into a one to one conversation later it was extremely awkward & embarrassing, to not remember their names. A visible name tag was invaluable in getting conversations going, often creating a more convivial atmosphere.

Initially, I hated wearing a name tag but quickly came to appreciate the advantages of doing so.

5 Likes