Dan's thread

Before chips with everything.

G

4 Likes

See what you did there. :joy: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

How was the Salt Lane ‘shop’ arranged? Some of us were speculating yesterday, but without much knowledge.

Retail at the front, I assume, admin at the back and manufacturing upstairs?

Also, when Naim move out - early 90s?

Mark

I never saw the original shop on Salt Lane, but I know one or two members on here visited back in the day.

Naim moved to Southampton Road in 1980. Julian knew automative tuners, Janspeed well from his racing days, so when they were looking to move to larger premises he moved into their old ones on Southampton Road.

6 Likes

That must have been a wonderful day with @Dan_M at naim hq.
I am so jealous that I could not join - and to meet you all in person.
I was with you all with my thoughts…:blush:

2 Likes

Well I never knew that. I remember Janspeed, having had a few of their exhausts in my youth, but didn’t know Naim had their old premises. Just found a picture from the Janspeed archive.

Which looks like the original building to the left in @Dynaudio1 ‘s photo.

7 Likes

That’s the one.

1 Like

What a nice story to the end! @Dan_M thank you for your grand magnetic force and making us part of it together with Richard and Naim.

So then - how does Statement sound, and at HQ at that? I’ve never had the chance to hear one, anywhere. : )

2 Likes

What is this naim branded machine doing?

2 Likes

More pictures from the factory tour

18 Likes

Isn’t that the visual inspection robot? - checks for defects and tolerances.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what Mark told us.

1 Like

Sounds like a great day :sunglasses:

I wanted to join you after but forgot my kids mum was abroad then so I was on full time childcare duties :roll_eyes:

Pleased to read you all enjoyed yourselves with Naim and afterwards.

1 Like

For those who asked, the tracks that Jason played were as follows;

Tunng - Jenny Again

Fever Ray - Seven

J S Bach (Trevor Pinnock) - The Well Tempered Clavier Prelude

Lyle Lovett - The Road to Ensenada

Trentemoller - Into the trees (Serenetti Part3)

Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - Duke’s Place

Hugh Masekela - Coal Train

10 Likes

Looks like a great day! Thanks for all the photos everyone posted, the statement amps look truly amazing things!

Hope you had a good one @Dan_M - music and laughs and smiles and beer and chips and super expensive hifi 8)

1 Like

What an amazing day that was. And a huge thank you to Mark, Richard & Jason for putting on such a fascinating tour. As of Friday evening my wallet remains intact, but for how much longer I know not … :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I am staying put. The things I am tempted by are Super Lumina speaker cables and Focal Scala Utopias and Statement.

However, listening to my system this evening it needs and wants for nothing.

If I did anything at all in the future it would involve speakers.

But the Sopra 2s aren’t even burned in from what I can gather. Was very interesting that Naim are using Focal Scala Utopias on listening room and Statement room testing. They are obviously one of the speakers to look at, but there are many others.

4 Likes

The new autochanger for the Statement CD player.

2 Likes

So not much then Dan you rascal :joy:

4 Likes