Dan's thread

Not according to my daughters when visiting Disney rides in Florida……i bottled too many😉

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I completely understand 2 of my granddaughters tormented the daylights out me in Disneyland a few years back.

1 Like

Sounds like having a baby!!! :laughing:

3 Likes

I have had a couple of them and I found them OKish and found watching the screen throughout very interesting. Whilst I would rather not have another one I have experienced much worse.

2 Likes

The first time I had a Colonoscopy was a bit surreal to say the least. I had conscious sedation. I remember the Doctor and Anaethetist explaining what they were going to do and that I had nothing to worry about and tried to put me at ease which worked up to a point. For those who have never had conscious sedation it is a strange sensation as you are drifting in and out of consciousness and you are aware of what is going on but you feel as though it is not you. Hard to explain. All I remember before they inserted the camera was the Doctor telling me that it was perfectly normal to get an erection and that there was nothing to be ashamed of which was funny because I did not have one and I told the Doctor so. His last words to me were “No, but I have…” and with that I drifted into a deep sleep.

11 Likes

Colonoscopy subject here is like a 252 thread. No matter how many times it’s explained, the same views get expressed. So here’s mine, again; they’re really straight forward and painless. Very interesting in fact. The Moviprep tastes disgusting and the bowel emptying is not pleasant, but that’s it. The trip to hospital, anticipation of the procedure and reading selfish comments can be worrying.

Whoever is having one, don’t worry.

6 Likes

Hey @Dan_M, I just read most of your story, as a cancer survivor myself just a note to keep you going as you travel what can be an unknown path. I was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer with liver metastasis in 2012, at the time the Dr’s said my outlook “wasn’t good”. I went through all the chemo / radio / surgeries that a lot of us do with the idea of hanging around around for as long as practically possible. After the chemo/radio a low anterior resection and a liver resection, then developed a persistent post surgical infection that eventually led to narcotizing fasciitis and a week in ICU an induced coma as they operated to try to stay ahead of the infection, family were told that I had less than a 50/50 chance and at the very least would probably lose a limb or two. 3 years later lung cancer but caught very early due to routine CT scans so a lung resection.
Jan 2024 - 12 years after my initial diagnosis. I didn’t lose any limbs, and for the time being I am cancer free, although after 15 major surgeries and many more minor procedures and numerous ER trips I joke that they are just taking me to the morgue bit by bit. BUT I’m still here - kicking and screaming.
During some of the time when I was well enough I did peer counselling for cancer patients starting their journey, nothing medical or pshych sort of stuff, just talking to them about my experience and things that made my journey easier like take your own pillow and blankets if you’ll be in hospital for more than a day or two coz theirs are crap, get a good pair of comfortable over ear noise cancelling headphones, what to expect with a porto-cath or how to take a shower with a PICC line, always take a pen and paper to DRs appointments and TAKE NOTES, keep a diary not just for yourself but for your partner/kids/loved ones - because you never know - that kind of stuff.
I’m not trying to blow smoke up your ass, what you are and will go through is f’ing hard, sometimes people who haven’t been down that path say the wrong thing because they don’t know what to say, how could they? There are decisions you need to make and discussions you need to have - to each thier own. You didn’t choose to have cancer, but you can choose how YOU deal with it. Hang in there, so many people are walking that path right beside you.

30 Likes

Just a quick one Dan. I don’t read the lounge much usually, but am now checking up on this thread most days. Shout if you want the odd picture of hifi gear (I mean the occasional picture, not pictures of odd gear!), very happy to post pictures of stuff if it helps!

Glad you’re at work, and hope you get the balance between it and rest, and taking your mind off things, but thinking about them appropriately, right. Hopefully we’re helping as much as we can.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear your story as I have similar diagnosis with colorectal cancer followed by liver and lung metastasis. I’m determined to live and am feeling strong mentally. Yes it is f’ing hard as you say.

But, I am not a quitter so I have to keep going and get on with it no matter what! That’s the bottom line here.

I have had one major surgery, chemoradiation therapy and now more chemo. If they can do more to get rid of it then that would be good. They were looking at liver resection, but chemo first.

Who knows what the future holds?!

8 Likes

Yes, send pics of your system. Always good to see hifi on this thread as well!

1 Like

Just after Covid had settled down a bit had a mild Cancer scare.

Had a very tender left nipple and went to the GP as it wasn’t easing off. After a quick examination, he advised that he would do a referral to the Hospital.

Two days later get a letter from the Breast Cancer clinic with an appointment in three days.

Off I go and after many tests and much prodding and prodding, diagnosis came back as an infection. So was discharged back to the GP and given a course of Antibiotics which sorted it, I’m pleased to report.

DG…

10 Likes

Righto.

7 Likes

That went from informative, to confusing, to totally surreal !! Chapeau :tophat:

1 Like

Hi @Dan_M
Keep up man!
Would like to recommend some nice electronic music - very fine for system testing if i may.
Pantha du prince - black noise

3 Likes

The Doctor clearly enjoys his job! :joy:

I’m listening to it right now. Very chilled out. I quite like it!

1 Like

Diverticulitis nearly killed me - it creeps up on you like a thief in the night.

Watch for gradual changes and do not accept them.

2 Likes

Is there any treatment?

1 Like

Yes drugs , it’s the infections in the bowel, can be cleared by normal antibiotics , mine was an extreme case. For most it is a question of getting old like knackered knees , I got it when I was very young

Ended with significant surgery , and followed by equally significant surgery and more surgery after that.

I ended up with major fatigue issues and was fortunate enough to have a very old style pensions package covering the bulk of my pension - Goodbye AEGON

9 Likes

Good morning @Dan_M just checking in to see how you are getting on…and have thrown in a Sunday am system picture :sunglasses:

20 Likes