Dan's thread

Hair all over my pillow this morning and covering bathroom floor and shower tray. Now it’s shaved grade 1, can see lots of bald patches on scalp! My daughter asked are you going to wear a hat. I’m quite happy with it as it is for now. Feeling tired today.

12 Likes

Make a statement Dan and get a large Fedora!

3 Likes

…or a Stetson and some fancy cowboy boots to go with it😉
Then you’ll need to start listening to Garth Brooks and Tammy Wynette🤣

3 Likes

Or Right Said Fred…Midnight Oil…REM…

Best wishes to you Dan.

2 Likes

I’m trying to get used to it. It’s early days but feel like everyone is looking at me in the shops. Guess it’s a normal reaction to it. Not ready to embrace the look! It’s bald in areas and thinning in others and grade 1 clippered. So looks very patchy and very extreme as I had a full head of hair.

And then there’s the explanations to people who kind of know me but don’t. Still, the deed is done and will be less hair on pillows and bathroom so some positives! :egg:

8 Likes

What about getting one of those lined peaked caps with the flapping earmuffs?

People will still look at you but will be so stunned they will be speechless and unable to ask questions.

More seriously, I hope tomorrow’s chemo goes smoothly.

1 Like

Try not to feel too self-conscious Dan, very short hair or bald as a coot is not uncommon for men. It’s just different to what you’re used to for you. If it’s a bit patchy don’t worry.

I sincerely doubt people are looking at you any more than anyone else - just look at the vast diversity of clothing styles, hair cuts/colours, body sizes, tattooed/pierced physiques and so forth around you every day.

I’ve cut my hair short badly with clippers for years at number 1 or 2 - if I don’t it goes crazy and I look like Paul Michael Glaser :laughing:

2 Likes

Or maybe Bruno from Fame!

1 Like

It’s early days. My hair is very blonde so it doesn’t look particularly rugged. The chemo will prolong my life so the hair loss is the least of my worries overall. The fact is that cancer and treatments is affecting my appearance. And I am finding it difficult at the moment! Give it a few weeks and it won’t bother me.

6 Likes

In an odd way you can probably take some comfort that the chemo is doing this, if it hadn’t you might be wondering if it was having any effect on the body. Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

My very best wishes to you Dan. I’ve been bald since my twenties and now use no.1 clippers. Your head will feel cold in winter and get sunburned in summer, so I recommend a hat collection. Quality brands in a decent hatshop, like Stetson are finished with leather trims and sweatbands. They make tweed caps and other styles than the Western ones. If you don’t wear hats regularly then they will take a bit getting used to. Good luck!

4 Likes

I’m looking at being bald for 6 months. 18 weeks treatment. Have had 3. Then it’s going to take a bit of time to start growing again. I have a work woolly hat and a cap. I may invest in more hats. I think what I am trying to get used to is being bald. Going into shops, dealing with customers, and so on.

As a builder you have to be careful what you say when you take jobs on. If they think you are ill, they might not take you on. So the whole bald thing is tricky.

3 Likes

Dan I think most people are sympathetic to the issues you’re facing and those that don’t are worth your energy. As for your hair issues this may help.

2 Likes

Had minimal hair since my twenties and never really thought about it. My advice would be to try and be philosophical about the hair and embrace the difference…

3 Likes

Not really the same when you are completely bald from chemo. It is a different look to having some hair loss. Could be looking at no eyebrows and no eyelashes also.

It’s not like loosing some hair on top!

2 Likes

The first time I shaved my head the rumour was spread that I had cancer since I had visited a local supermarket. One of the local gossip ladies had the courage to call my mum to ask whether is was true. It wasn’t fortunately.

Sometimes living in a rural town is a curse, sometimes it’s a blessing.

3 Likes

Dan, I’m in awe of you just taking the bull by the horns and trying to live as normal a life as you can.

If you’re strong enough to work and want to do so that’s fantastic, just remember if you need rest/TLC then take it.

3 Likes

Thanks @Alley_Cat,

I don’t know what the future holds. I intend to continue working and living as long as possible.

I am having downtime. I have been watching alot of TV and lying down alot during relaxation. I am taking this thursday off to have extra timw with my 3 year old son.

It’s difficult now with some new customwra coming up as thwy have scaffolding booked and nowadays scaffolding is usually for quite a limited time period.

However, if the weather is too wet I will take some time out. I also have someone to help for 3 to 4 weeks with the work.

Work keeps me active and produces a vital distraction. It’s a case of getting a balance between health, family and work. My health has to come first right now.

6 Likes

I’d have to agree, if you feel up for it go for it!

Health issues or otherwise, we’ll never get time back with our loved ones if we don’t invest it with them - something I’ve come to realise myself over many years.

1 Like

I’ve been mulling your comments over. I am starting to feel more confident about the new look. I think I can carry it off.

I look in between Phil Mitchell and one of the many bald professional darts players out there. It’s a much harder image. Previously I had quite long hair on top, short round the sides and a beard.

I have had hair this short before in my late 20s when I blended into a rough part of London where I was living.

6 Likes