David Gilmour

Regarding the fantastic production quality.

These old guys appear to know what they are doing, surrounding themselves with equally old, more than competent side men & engineers.

When Clapton released his superb lockdown effort, Lady in the Balcony, I couldn’t help raising a smile when EC revealed that Covid restrictions meant that support staff & engineers had to be kept to a minimum.

Therefore only 50 were involved in the production…

2 Likes

Good job I paid off the credit card this morning…coz my finger slipped on the keyboard this evening …oops!

My finger has developed a bad habit recently! There goes the kids’ inheritance.

:laughing:

2 Likes

You won’t regret it.

Love ‘Unplugged’ but enjoy ‘Lady’ more. His latest, ‘To Save a Child’ is none to shabby either, despite having several repeat tracks from both previous albums.

In my opinion, EC has the uncanny knack of making minor changes to the repeated tracks that catch the attention & make subtle, worthwhile differences to each version.

For me, he has always had the knack of arranging other people’s work & making it far more listenable to than the original version.

3 Likes

Yeah, got that one…but only on LP would you believe! **

And I really like Me and Mr Johnson - CD and DVD, LOL.

**Edit: d@mn that finger - that’s twice in one evening - or perhaps it was that last G&T……

2 Likes

Yes I play Lady in the Balcony often, along with Unplugged, it has a really nice atmosphere to it.

Another, albeit not quite so old, is Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, so much going on in his work, covers several genres, and very good production. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

1 Like

Have been collecting his Jethro Tull “Anniversary” series. He does some good stuff but does occasionally make mistakes cough eg, the intro to Yours is no Disgrace where Tony Kayes magnificent opening chords have gone AWOL.

1 Like

Maybe he had the knack of making other people’s work more easy listenable but don’t agree he improved on the work of Bob Marley or JJ Cale, quite the opposite.

1 Like

Thanks guys I’m now £120 lighter! I have to say lovely atmospherics and wonderful guitar work.

Listening on Quobuz whilst I await the box set!

I missed out on tickets too, gutted!
Gary

2 Likes

I also bought the vinyl deluxe set, I don’t think you will be disappointed with any of it!

1 Like

Cheers, eagerly awaiting! I was put off by the asking price but cracked after a couple of listens!

Should have never doubted the great man!

1 Like

I have to say I did that, judt a little bit! Pre-ordered the CD, listened to it twice then went straight out and bought the vinyl box set, still! Can’t get enough of the great man!

1 Like

Perfectly entitled to your opinion.

However, without Clapton’s interpretations, their songs would have remained largely unknown to music lovers worldwide.

4 Likes

I mentioned this here several years ago, after buying the hi-res download following numerous forum members recommendations.

Because of this unbelievable mistake, seconds in to, arguably, the most popular & well known Yes track, I have never listened to the complete compilation, preferring to stick to my original LP’s.

This was my first hi-res purchase &, from the tracks I have listened to, a major disappointment. As a result I have not deliberately sought out any more of his work. I have no idea whether this is my loss or not.

Ah, that’s not great … we all make mistakes I guess!

Does anyone know if this was ever available on CD? It’s a great concert, love Bowie on Arnold Layne and Comfortably Numb … would like the option to listen to it through the stereo but have never seen it on anything but dvd … strange

1 Like

I can’t be sure but I don’t think this ever did appear on CD. I remember getting the DVD at the time as there was no CD and I haven’t heard of it being released since. There may be files on the DVD which contain a hires audio version of some sort which could be downloaded to a USB stick.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s very strange! Good idea on ripping the audio, might give that a try, cheers

1 Like

I couldn’t possibly comment, but I’ve heard tell of a bit of software called something like DVD Audio Extractor that sells for about thirty quid. It may do the job.

Thanks, but I couldn’t possibly try that :wink:

Quite so!

So what you need is to search out the old Naim DVD player from the usual nefarious sources, and connect it to the hifi.

That’ll work if you select the stereo audio stream……