David Gilmour

Naim made a dvd player? … I didn’t know that!
They should really make an av processor again, think of all the extra 250s they could sell :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you enjoy the rest of the tracks?

I believe it had the innovative name “DVD 5”. They also made two “surround” processors, AV 1 and AV2. All in the “black” boxes.

I don’t think any of them lasted very long! Richard D would know more.

But back to DVD of DG at the RAH; I have played it thought our Meridian DSP5000 series 5.1 surround system, and it is rather nice!

(L&S on back burner for today - sorting out stuff for Sue’s upcoming travels!)

1 Like

I didn’t mean ripping the audio using an extractor, hadn’t thought of that. I was thinking that some DVDs contain completely separate audio tracks 24/96 or DSD etc. that can be downloaded to a pc and then moved to USB stick. This is why they are there and are advertised as such.

Yes, I used to have a DVD5. Great DVD player and CD player too. All pre HDMI and Blu-ray. Came out about 2005 I think.

1 Like

Thanks, yes Richard told me about the AV2 a while ago, and the single channel amp (I forget the name), they had quite the range of gear back then!

I googled the dvd player and see there have been discussions on here, seems like it was quite a nice player.

I like watching concerts through my AV system and they do sound great but sometimes I just want “no screen” time. I’m saving the Blu-ray of L&S for the weekend, don’t want to over play it!

Ah, good point, I’ll have a look on the computer tomorrow, doesn’t say anything about it on the box but you never know, cheers

There was a three channel pwr amp called NAPV 175.

1 Like

The vinyl sounds stunning, as they say “price is soon forgotten if quality remains”

Great stuff

Gary

1 Like

It only came out on DVD and Blu-Ray. There was no audio only option. There is a 10 inch and CD single of Bowie’s turn on Arnold Layne though, lots of copies on Discogs last time I looked.

1 Like

Gosh, never knew about this, will grab the Bluray.

1 Like

Anyway, back to Luck and Strange, I’m really enjoying it: some stunning tracks and the recording quality is really top notch. I’ve been streaming from Qobuz, but might grab the hi-res WAV file, or maybe vinyl……

3 Likes

Vinyl highly recommended

3 Likes

There’s some d@mn fine stuff on the album; love the rendering of “Between Two Points".
OK, so the voice may be a bit a ragged these days, but he still knows his way round a Stratocaster!

3 Likes
7 Likes

Listened to it a couple of times on Qobuz. High production quality otherwise thoroughly tedious noodling and some 2nd rate lyrics…… will give this one a miss.

5 Likes

But we all knew that Roger was the better lyricist.

However, not so good with a Strat!

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s a shame but the two tracks that Bowie performs on are on Qobuz at least.

1 Like

It’s a great concert, there’s some good extras too, especially with Richard Wright singing a couple of songs

2 Likes

Just listened to the whole album (pretty much at concert level) all the way through. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The two standout tracks for me were Between Two Points and Scattered. I like the way Scattered kind of closes the loop with Time and reminded me of the journey I’ve been on with these guys. From my very formative years as a 17 year old partying in London listening to Meddle at 3am, through to the my latter years and greater wisdom. It’s been a real pleasure to use their albums to time travel to various decades of my life and for giving me this ability I truly thank them.

6 Likes

Thanks for that. I’ve ordered the Bluray, which is being sent out from the UK.

1 Like