Debugging Supernait 3 Midrange Distortion

I don’t think it’s a beefier sound. The HCDR just gives you a better more stable power supply. Everything should be cleaner, quieter, smoother.

But I think I should leave now to people who have the SN3 and a power supply upgrade. I’m glad you have got to a much better place anyway.

Best

David

Can’t you go with your SN3 and Hicap to a dealer, and check all at his place ?
As says David, the sound should be cleaner, nicer and more open with the hicap on SN3. So something is wrong.

Could be then that there was something wrong in the connection or the unit itself all along then, because I have always noticed a thickening of the sound from the HCDR, from day 1. Figured that was the way it was supposed to sound, but I feel like I have heard or read elsewhere that the HiCap was not as essential for the SN3 and had wondered if it was too much of a good thing. I’d definitely like to send it in for service somewhere to see if there was anything wrong with it when I bought it.

1 Like

No I don’t have a local dealer, the closest is nearly 4 hours from here unfortunately.

Can’t you take one day of work to go to him? It’s a bit sad to have such costly equipment and not being able to profit of it.

1 Like

I haven’t read this very long thread recently, but you are bound to find some useful info about using the SN3 with and without the HCDR. Enjoy!

1 Like

I hate to keep using songs as examples, but as an example of the “thicker” sound I have always heard from the HCDR, “I’ll Be Over You” from Toto’s Fahrenheit album. I use these examples because they are universally known to be pristine audiophile recordings…

Anyway Jeff Porcaro’s rim shots and hi hat work in the first verse right as the song comes in. With the HCDR, those hi hats and rim shots always have a thicker, beefier sound that has always bothered me a little. Without the HCDR they are very clean and have the proper transients and more “studio-like.”

I did not buy the HCDR from that dealer unfortunately, I bought it used from Audiogon. But it is very difficult to make an 8 hour round trip to debug the HiCap. I don’t even know if they have any service in-house, they are a very small boutique retailer that does most business online these days due to Covid.

Anyway I am happy that I have tracked down my current problem and will deal with the HiCap service in time… for now I am happy to go without the HCDR as the sound finally is not noisy and distorted.

3 Likes

Good on you! I’d just box up Hicap and send it off to Naim. That way when you get it back (send the snanics back with it) you can listen and determine if it’s better or worse with it or without, and you can move it on with a clear conscience that it’s ok.

2 Likes

Glad you have made progress - which seems to be logical, too.

Either you just don’t like what the HiCap does to your system - or maybe something is wrong with the HiCap or the SNAIC connecting it. Both really need to be checked, IMO. Service only once problems understood.

3 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s help over this weekend getting to the bottom of my woes…

It seems I am cautiously ready to say mission accomplished here, even to fixing the possible issue with the HiCap that was causing the distortion in the first place.

I did carefully do a full reconnection of the HiCap last night. When I unplugged it earlier I noticed that it was screwed down super-tight and almost at a bit of a cockeyed twist when I removed the SNAIC from the back of the Supernait.

While experimenting last night I did a real easy connection with the DIN and left the screw-down nuts completely loose. And the difference is pretty much night and day - the “thickening” of that intro to the Toto song is completely fixed now and the HiCap appears to be behaving as expected.

So it could be this entire fiasco revolved around a faulty connection with the HiCap. I did completely tear down this system when I acquired my Fraim back in November. It is very likely that when putting the Fraim together and reconnecting the HiCap into the system, because it is a little hard to connect from the back of the Fraim I did a faulty connection and that is what I have been hearing for the past 3 months that has been driving me mad.

At any rate, everything appears to be working wonderfully at this point so I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Thanks again to all for your assistance!

11 Likes

“Check your SNAIC’s…” :laughing:

Perhaps yours may still need to go in the SNAIC Shaker… :thinking:

(you couldn’t make this up…)

2 Likes

Hi I have a supernait 2 dr which is bedroom kit but I had it attached to klipsch Rf 7.11 speakers and also tried with b@w cm9 s2 speakers and like u a few songs I knew very well had a more scratchy sound on a certain guitar part that I had never heard before n tried on both sets of speakers and it turned out I tried different speaker cable… N that problem was rectified… Try switching Ur cables over n see if it is a dodgy cable hopefully it’s an easy fix for u

1 Like

Sorry just read Ur v last post glad all is good :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

Couple days ago when I was trying to reconnect my system, I accidentally unplugged one of the SNAIC cables off from the SN3(off) while the HICAP DR was still on, and I heard a thump from the speakers.

Is is going the cause any damage to the system? @Richard.Dane

Probably not. But maybe. I’d suggest you listen. Sounds good, then it’s all good.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Btw, according to this topic, should I leave the SNAIC cables loosely connected to the SN3 as well?

Some advocate for that. I had mine snug. Just snugged up. Not gorilla tight

1 Like

Did you use the lock-ring at all?

Also, should I loosen the connect to the streamer as well?

Many people prefer all three Supernaits with a HC and an equal amount preferred them without a HC it seems you’re one of the latter. Glad you sorted it out though and good to see the forum working to help out again.

Unplugging SNAICs when the system is powered up is definitely something you want to try to avoid as it can damage speakers, usually the tweeters being most vulnerable.

I always do up the collars on SNAICs for this reason as otherwise it’s possible to accidentally unplug them when trying to re-route or remove other leads.

3 Likes