Diamond studded bezels on Rolex watches

What age range did you have in mind? One if my sons, in early 30s, wears an Apple Watch and uses it as an extension to his iPhone. But I don’t think he leaves it by default as a watch display. I, on the other hand, have worn a watch on my wrist virtually continuously for best part of 60 years. And look at my wrist for the time probably several times an hour.

If I were to get an Apple Watch, I would default to to a watch face mode, whichever is the most subtle… Sometimes I feel tempted as I can see its usefulness, and the smallest size one doesn’t look too chunky. though it is still on the thick side though probably just tolerable - however I’d have to find a strap to my taste, as all those I’ve seen with it certainly aren’t. …I wonder if there are any diamond encrusted bracelets that fit it?

My daughter has an Apple Watch.

She also has a lady date just from my late Mother that was completely serviced by Techel in Darmstadt. It needed a new dial and hands. Looks like new now and she loves it.

Also here is a men’s date just that I wear sometimes when not wearing a 50 year old Tudor submariner. I find minimalist to be the best. There is also another example which is purple and 22 cts Gold with diamonds on the strap and dial plus bezel, but I really do not like it

1 Like

I guess the age range for not (or unlikely) to wear a watch is sub 40. My daughter (38 years now) does actually wear a watch but she tells me she is the exception rather than the rule.
The Apple watch is an interesting variant, part watch, part computer…a waputer perhaps???
I am with you though, if I did go down the “waputer” route I would want the default as a watch face. I am too old and crusty now to make a change :grinning: As for the strap choice and with / without diamonds, I need to think about this a little longer!

Apparently, kids can’t tell the time on an analogue watch

Is a microsecond too long?

1 Like

This is the Telegraph …

2 Likes

Some jewels, but not a diamond in sight.

My favourite watch…but needs a new crystal.

I used to have an Apple Watch, but the battery life (18 hours) was woeful.

Now use a Garmin watch with a battery life of 16 days, much better.

My proper watch is an Omega Seamaster Diver 300.

DG…

Probably not crystal if it’s scratched like that. Plexi? Probably a bit of Polywatch or toothpaste (and a lot of elbow grease) and they’ll polish out just fine.

1 Like

Could be…I always assumed crystal as it doesn’t feel at all like plexi. It has a hard life as I use it for work so it gets a fair few scrapes (and lots of compliments from customers, but I really should keep it for ‘best’).

I’ll try a paste polish, just to see…

Well, thanks @n-lot!

Just a few drops of G3 Pro paste and a few minutes polishing and it’s certainly brightened up the old thing. Ta :+1:t3:

I’m still not sure what the material is. I’ll pop into a watch repairer.

1 Like

Could be mineral, but certainly not Sapphire. I still think plexiglass considering the amount of scratching and ease of polishing you describe.

@n-lot
I would very much doubt Sapphire (is that what watch crystal is made of?), perhaps mineral,
perhaps plexi …dont know enough to know.

This is after about ten minutes of polishing, what do you think:

And apologies OP for thread drift!

Probably mineral then.

1 Like

No problem, at least we haven’t drifted so far as to throwing the heart of the ocean diamond off the back of the icon of the seas or flying from its bow :joy:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll find a Bulova repairer and see…hopefully a new ‘glass’ will still be available.

I don’t mind the battle-scarred look but it would be nice to start again.

Edit/ @n-lot - you were right, it’s mineral.
New one ordered!

1 Like

A friend of mine, who has a Rolex, ( I have a vintage one), said the other day that when you buy a new Rolex this is what you get for your money:

images (1)
download (4)
download (3)

and as a “thank you” they send you a nice watch, which doesn’t cost them that much to make due to high volume production.

So @Collywobbles, we are just paying for the name then?

Not just, but the brand value must be a significant part. There is probably a whole separate discussion on the power of brands. Rolex buyers are not being ripped off as the products hold, and increase in value due to the value of the brand.

All opinion, of course. There are plenty of middle of the road Sekondas etc out there with bracelets that attract zero attention, and lots of straps that are designed specifically to catch the eye.

I think many people think too hard about this stuff. Like it? Can afford it? Buy it. Don’t like it? No problem at all. I really couldn’t give a hoot why anyone thinks about my Daytona, TAG F1 or G-Shock, and life is much more pleasant like that.

Same with hifi. Much easier than buying stuff that people I don’t know tell me I should buy! :slight_smile:
(No offence intended)

1 Like