Diamond studded bezels on Rolex watches

Sure it’s a generalisation, but there are far more understated and/or subdued watches than the examples posted. Most will be on a strap.

For the record, I fully agree with everything you say.

In general, I suspect you’re right, but both of my daughters (aged 20 and 18) have worn Casio Baby Gs since around age 11. Given the amount of sport and other rough stuff they do, it’s a logical choice to my thinking.

Mark

1 Like

Kind of tacky, maybe a nice Patek Nautilus with the blue Tiffany dial?

Those are 2 a penny of course. I’d imagine unless you’re Tommy Hilfiger or Mark Wahlburg you’ll also never ever see or touch one, let alone actually own one and wear it on your wrist.
No less obtainable, but If I had a choice I’d probably opt for a nice Patek perpetual calendar.

3 Likes

Slightly off topic, but many years ago my father having been in a new job for a little while and was travelling back and forth to Miami from Jamaica decided to treat himself to a Rolex from Miami duty free. When he sent it into Rolex to get a service several years later after he came back to the Uk, he was politely informed that the insides were a fake and nothing could be done! That said he did buy another to replace it which was the real thing! So much for trust!

1 Like

In have an opposite story.

Chap comes through US Customs wearing a (genuine) Rolex bought abroad, duty free, but doesn’t declare it to US authorities. When asked, he says oh that’s just a fake one that I bought abroad for next to nothing.

Customs agent whips the watch off his wrist, and smashes it to bits with a lump hammer. As he throws the remains into a bin, he says to the appalled traveller, Oh well, sir, we don’t allow fakes like that into the US of A!

I believe this to be true, but who knows?

2 Likes

The good ole US of A

Sorry James but why would someone buy anything from duty free. If you buy from a recognised Rolex shop then you get all the assurance that it is the real thing. Buying anything like that in the US or places like Hong Kong I would be very wary.

In have an opposite story.

Chap comes through US Customs wearing a (genuine) Rolex bought abroad, duty free, but doesn’t declare it to US authorities. When asked, he says oh that’s just a fake one that I bought abroad.

Customs agent whips watch off wrist, smashes it to bits with a lump hammer. As he throws the remains in a bin, he says to the appalled traveller, Oh well, sir, we don’t allow those fakes into the US of A!

Twice!

Yes I can’t like it a second time or can I?

Think he would have learnt the first time.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the Daddy’s Watch scene from Pulp Fiction. If only the bloke in your story had hidden it like the boy’s daddy:

2 Likes

My father understood it to be a registered dealer rather than a duty free shop and bought it in good faith with a box and guarantee etc.

Was the dealer’s name Del?

1 Like

Now we really are back on topic :joy:

Then he should have reported this to Rolex and got his money back. Can’t understand how this could happen unless it is a shop on 42nd street

I had a lodger many users ago who worked for the UK Customs and Excise.

Her job was to go and visit people recently returned from overseas holidays who purchased jewellery and watches, wore them back, but posted the box home. They did this to avoid the duty that should be paid.

What a lot of them didn’t realise is that the Post Office scans incoming post and when a jewellery or watch box was found, it was always investigated and followed up.

She was, I recall, very busy doing this, which didn’t always make her popular with her customers that she visited.

DG…

There is sometimes just a thin veneer of respectability covering such people.

Mind you, I would not have fancied your lodger’s chosen means of earning her crust!

!
Targets or victims depending on your point of view, but customers??