Disposable Barbecue bans

If I posted a picture of the pair I was thinking of from the same film I would be banned immediately…. :rofl:

1 Like

The Studland nature reserve in Dorset caught fire on Friday, a siginificant amount of heathland destroyed which is of special scientific interest.

The fire brigade have found the remains of a camp site, including a disposable BBQ at the scene.

Meanwhile in Oslo, more human stupidity…

2 Likes

As thread OP it’s interesting to see the spectrum of views. I suppose my thinking is along the lines of feeling that we continue to allow the sale of cars despite a minority of idiots abusing them to the point of killing people.
I have only ever used a disposable barbecue on the patio at home…

1 Like

Very sad. A soon as nature gets in our way…

Yes, but potentially euthanising the animal is hardly a sensible approach! Seems like it’s a shortcut option to reduce hassle for the authorities.

Or interacts with us - how on earth can they consider a wild animal actually interacting with people to be bad? Surely if the walrus was distressed it would just scoot?

It was probably being defensive of its territory. Let’s face it there isn’t much of it left now for wildlife.

2 Likes

Perhaps so, but I’d prefer a more romantic notion. You’d probably be bonkers to get that close though.

No!!!
They’ve put it down due to concerns for public safety - crazy!

A few days ago, they asked the public to stay away or that they would have to put her down, so there’s a particularly ghastly inevitability about this.

One gloomily wonders:
a) what the cost to the authorities would have been to have her put to sleep and taken somewhere more walrus-friendly for release,
b) what the cost was to have her euthanased and the body disposed of,
c) the difference between the two

Mark

1 Like

I could cry reading it.

What sort of world have we become ?

2 Likes

Quite.

From the report:
Frank Bakke-Jensen…said the decision to put the animal down had been based "on an overall assessment of the continued threat to human safety"

Surely it was the continued threat of human stupidity

4 Likes

It would have been more appropriate to have euthanised the tw@s that wouldn’t leave the poor walrus alone.

6 Likes

Since July, the public were told to keep away from Freya because, as a wild animal, it poses a threat to their safety.

Despite all the warnings people still attempted to play with it and swim with it, including kids.

The BBC report mentions an incident, in another country, where a member of the public was dragged under water and killed by a Walrus when they were trying to take a selfie with it, the animal keeper was also killed by the Walrus trying to save that person.

The public are at fault.

4 Likes

Quite right - if we go on like this we’ll never clean up the gene pool!

1 Like

And you can put better quality coals in them.
We recently bought a small non disposable one for use in our motorhome - cost 30 pounds from amazon- and was great- tiny too

2 Likes

If you’re feeling fancy, you can make your own.

A rack from inside an old oven makes an ideal grille. Place an old, deep roasting tray on a surface that won’t scorch/burn, fill it with some fuel, sit the grill across the top of the tray and you’ve got yourself a barbeque.

If you get a Dutch oven (cast iron pot with lid) you can cook pretty much anything in and on it.

4 Likes

Now that is a shout! Nice one, @anon39880737.

If the ‘ban’ [sic] irritates you, either do this to ‘stick it to the man’ or stop moaning.

Mark

I did something similar a few years ago - I didn’t want to buy the disposable BBQ when on holiday so opted for a small ‘cake rack’ and a cheap deep metal oven tray, separate bag of charcoal and firelighters.

Crumbs! I may just have figured out what the rectangular item in a bin bag cluttering a certain overgrown area of the garden is - I’ve just started clearing leaves/twigs overlying this and the broken bag of charcoal on top of it (again in a bin bag).

1 Like