Do I need NACA5

What was your previous cable?

Get the cable made up properly, you will be even more staggered…

NACA5 will not disappoint, but there may be stuff-you-prefer out there. only you can decide whether it is worth taking the punt.

So are you sticking with the NACA5?
I borrowed a pair of odd lengths of NACA5 (think they were 7M and 5M) and they did not work well in my system - but also they were not professionally terminated. So not a really fair test.

I’ve been using 2 x 8M Chord Rumour 2 speaker cables for the past 15 years, and they produce a very clear and coherent sound - despite the fact that they are quite thin in diameter.

I wonder whether to get some Chord Epic?
There are quite a lot of people who prefer the Epic, but also a few who have been up the range and come back again to Rumour or Odyssey…

I can’t afford to change it and spent more on my system than I wanted to. I am not overly happy with my Atom though at the moment something’s sounding off and I cant pinpoint the issue but over the last week it’s just been a bit meh! Might be the NACA5, might not be.

1 Like

Absolutely, the quality of the termination is a big, big thing…

1 Like

I hope this works itself out, Crystal.
When did you change the cables?
Perhaps it would be worth trying another swop back to the Chord to see if that’s it?
Did you find out what model of Chord it was?
Did you get a different length of cable?

The old Chord cable they don’t make it anymore it wasn’t a really expensive one though but can’t remember the model. I might get the cables looked at though to see if the termination is ok of it can effect the sq so much. But I don’t know if this is the root cause.

I remember my Atom to be a bit moody, it’ll probably come good again

Nothing at this price should be moody. It should sound it’s best all the time.

3 Likes

Well it’s sounding better today, bloody fickle thing.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:I hijack this Naca5-thread with a quick question…

:black_small_square:What have Naca5 for……
:black_small_square:Capacitance
:black_small_square:Inductance
:black_small_square:DC Resistance

I have unfortunately forgotten it right now.
Asking for I was going to try a “NordOst Frey” speaker cable…See picture.
This cable should be very good,…so it will be interesting to see how it works in a Naim-system.

It was tried in a Linn-system yesterday,where this cable worked incredibly well.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

:small_blue_diamond:Here’s a picture of the cable… “NordOst Frey speaker Cable”

/Peder🙂

NACA5 is 16pF/m 1uH/m 9mΩ/m
Nordost Frey is 33.79pF/m 0.443μH/m

What a hideous colour.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond: CrystalGipsy,…It’s like Flower Power :grin:.

:small_orange_diamond: Mike-B,…Many Thanks.

/Peder🙂

solder_jig

One of my hobbies is RC cars and I use one of these to solder battery cables etc. It has round clamps that are a snug fit and also shapes in the middle that can clamp up. Cheap as chips on the usual auction site and well worth the money I think. (about a tenner if memory serves me right)

That cable looks a lot like the Nordost SPM Reference I owned many years ago, now discontinued. The speaker cable costs almost the same as my loudspeakers at that time, as ridiculous as it may sound. The same flat cable and purple in colour. If you managed to try it in your system, would appreciate if you could share the results. I suppose it is a costly cable which may be close to the Super Lumina’s price range?

I have both Naca5 and Chord Epic Twin. The Chord cable gets to stay with the main system while the Naca5 stays in a box together with other unused cables in the store room.

Fully agree with this – my first thought too…