Do I need NACA5

So after much deliberation and frustration, I have removed NACA5 and fell happier with SQ of my system. In the end, the lack of flexibilty kept constantly pulling out the cables from both Atom and speaker also it was starting to sound very fatiguing and bright. It took me a while to realise it was the NACA5 causing this imbalance or maybe because it cant connect decently into the Atom but regardless its gone and balance is restored. It just not the right cable for me and since returning to my old Chord cable I am much happier and the cables stay in place. I don’t understand how they made a cable so inflexible that it cant be easily routed or made to stick in one position. Lesson learned now to get it back on ebay and sell it.

Depends on which Chord cables you’re using.

Nothing special it was about £9 a metre about 8 years ago, I think the equivalent is the clearway today. To me it just sounds better with my speakers and room. For others it may differ but for me , naca5 is not for me. One thing I have learned though is speaker cable does make a difference never thought it would be so profound. Shame this was for the worst.

1 Like

Well I decided to reterminate the naca5 as I had a feeling what I was using was not helping and worked out how to solder the Atoms Naim plugs, they are not the same as the regular ones the cable came with so I fitted some regular banana plugs I had originally. Now it’s sounding better than it was and does not come loose the Atom end, can’t say the same for speaker end though… So its back in while I assess again. Bloody finicky stuff this Naim cable and system.

Hi there CrystalGipsy,

Yes, NACA5 will take some practice and it can be a bit of bugger to tame. It will be worth all your pain in the end, the rewards are too huge to let pass. Make sure all the strands of the cable are soldered and not with the odd one or two frayed out or cut off just for the convenience of fitting. I suggest that you use a Multicore 60/40 tin/lead solder. You will find making a jig up with two 4mm holes drilled in some wood your best bet, also use a clamp of some description, so both hands are free to be able to carry out the soldering. Practice on a piece of redundant NACA5 if you have to. Also, when plugging the NACA5 in, try and arrange it so that there is the minimum of tension/stress put upon the sockets themselves. It feels counter intuitive because of the stiffness of the cable itself but it can be done.

I have already soldered them on making sure it’s all.contacting. I won’t be doing it again in a hurry. Tbh I feel it’s more hassle than its worth. Not giving me that much gain over the cheap stuff I had. It may work wonders on Naim poweramps but I feel it’s overkill for the Atom and not adding vfm.

Ok, fair enough. You should be hearing a massive difference over the cheaper stuff. I will highly recommend that you ask a well trained dealer to make the cables up for you.

I was always very sceptical about “burn in“ and was initially disappointed with NACA5. After a day or two of occasional listening, I certainly noticed an improvement in rendition, however.

After being kept in storage for almost six months, my elderly NAP250 also sounded very sibilant and harsh. That, too, seemed to disappear after a few weeks and I am very pleased with its performance.

I would leave the NACA5 in place and give it some time to settle in. Considering my previous scepticism, I am surprised that I am writing this at all. Patience certainly seems to pay off with such revealing equipment as NAIM.

I’ve had A5 for 29 years and to be honest I really wasn’t convinced for maybe the first year. I occasionally try other options. Tellurium and Mogami spring to minf but I always felt that the gains were superficially impressive and faded away after a few months.

1 Like

It was not new when I got it so it’s had plenty of burn in already but I’ve had it month or so. But I’m beginning to think something else is also going on as its generally sounding a bit meh even with the old cables although they are less bright. Its sounding like it did last time before Naim replaced it, sounds rough with no body. Might have a trip to my dealer to see. It’s this or the speakers, which are only three months old and have sounded great until recently.

1 Like

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Also, take your cables along and have them made up with the proper plugs on either end. Personally, I would just buy brand new NACA5 at the required lengths and start again, with the dealer doing all the work. Sell your old cables on…

I am not buying anymore cable I am not made of money. I dont believe the connections are in play with the current issues. It was before I soldered on the Naim plugs but these are now well connected. I do not need to get somebody else who may or may not be more qualified to fit them. Beside the cable was already made up by the dealer of the guy I bought them off, but I had to remove the original Naim plugs as they don’t fit the Atom.

So to try and eliminate this problem I removed my iso acoustics feet and refited them again using a different height and then played with placement again and moved speakers even further out from the wall and its got better. I also rerouted the Atoms mains cable to be further away from the incoming network cable which has taken some off the brightness of the highs. So this was either the mains picking up some interference or it was adding it to the network cable. Had a good session later last night and it felt and sounded a lot better its getting there.

1 Like

Ok, fair enough. I’m only passing on my experience. No problem, you crack on.

It’s not unappreciated I welcome your input.

I bought a pair of factory terminated unused Chord Epics about a month ago that had been given away in a promotion with some b&w speakers. They have settled in nicely now and sound very good.
But I have promised myself that I will refit my old Chord Rumour 2s one more time just to see which is actually better.
Because although the Epics are clearer and meatier, My memory of the Rumour is that it had a lightness and a golden quality. If it really is overall better I will leave it in it. But I know the Epic just has more information in it so it will be a tough call.
I’ll get the Rumour reterminated if I decide to use it again for something.

I’ve always wondered if there’s an optimum fold/return length…

In a word - NO

No need to shout Mike:innocent:

But seriously, has anyone tried?

I doubt it, but you never know,
I was applying electrical theory on the question of optimum fold length.

Sorry didn’t mean to shout … ‘onest

I know, it’s not your style. Must have been a bit of caps lock chicanery.

I now feel the need to experiment with folding, although mine are on 1m loops for aesthetic reasons.