Emma Raducanu

Emma Raducanu…you rock!!!
Whoooohaaaa!
Wow. What a woman ! Go girl!!!
A STAR…

Congratulations! :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

phenomenal!!! what character and what a real see saw…and battling the crowd. Fantastic result, well done Emma!

2 Likes

Impressive stats, but poor quality match.

Well done Emma. Your future is very bright.

WooHoo!

Woot!

Squee!

Whatever!

1 Like

Bl00dy H3ll!

Two A grades at A-level one week, US Open Champ the next!

6 Likes

Atta, girl! Fantastic achievement. Many more to come!

4 Likes

Good for her. She seems like a very nice, grounded girl and a wonderfully gifted tennis player.

And she cheers everyone up. Long may she continue.

5 Likes

Wow, wow ,wow. What a fantastic achievement to not lose a set and have to qualify, amazing and something I don’t think I will ever see again in my lifetime. I had to literally hold my wife down as she was going crazy during the match.

6 Likes

I haven’t watched the match (watching sporty is not really my thing) - however I think it is wonderful that a Brit, and an unknown teenager at that, has one this competition - and is it right her whole competition she’s won in straight sets? If so it is extraordinary! Well done indeed!

2 Likes

Just Fantastic, a great match between two young talented women @Count.d might be in a minority of one with his opinion it was a poor match. Emma speaks almost as well as she plays, as does her opponent for that matter. I have a feeling Emma might not need to qualify for the next grand slam! A qualifier winning the US open and she is ours … YIPEEEEEE!!!

5 Likes

Yes, plus she had to play 3 qualifying matches to even play in it.

1 Like

Emma must be a strong candidate for Sports Personality of the Year!

7 Likes

I have no idea why you say poor quality.

Both players were sublime, and it’s the first time we’ve seen her pushed so hard. She had so little time on many of those returns due to Fernandez high speed shots.

7 Likes

She’s made it! Well done!!!

That is the highest level of women’s tennis I have ever seen in a final in our recent history and I really mean it.

7 Likes

I don’t think I’ll ever see a sporting occasion like this in my lifetime again, that’s what’s so special, and despite being straight sets margins were close.

5 Likes

I’ve no idea what make a quality match. Surely both players pushing the other - even if it is aces by both virtually all the time - is a good match. Entertainment is different.

But then I’m not a sports fan!

1 Like

Must have been watching a rerun of a different match … it was high quality all the way through, or perhaps our friend knows better than the experts :grin:

2 Likes

It had both quality and entertainment in my view.

It was also one of those odd sporting occasions with a tennis ‘Southpaw’ as Emma’s opponent which adds some interesting variants - shots that Emma would have put to a righ-handers backand were nullified by a forehand return from the ‘leftie’ on several occasions.

Frankly I thought they were both brilliant and Fernandez was potentially the better returner despite her diminutive size - really surprised it didn’t go to 3 sets but that just shows Emma took the big points when she needed too.

Singles tennis is high-end chess with both mental and physical skills.

For us mere mortals it’s fun and considerably less boring than being a gym rat.

3 Likes

Less than 3 months ago:

1 Like

I would think she is a shoe in for it.

3 Likes