English Electric EE1

I simplified my streaming guddle back to a Cisco 2960 and Chord C-Streams. It’s so easy to get into an additive chain mentality where improvements, if indeed they are, are miniscule.

G

3 Likes

Think I will be trying an EE1 soon. I use a BT mesh disc system which I assumed with my lack of systems knowledge could act as some sort of cut out for noise transmission from a router. As an experiment I recently replaced the plug in wall switching power supply on the final mesh disc that attaches via cat 5 to my Naim streamer with an iFI power supply and the sound changed immediately…. Certainly more definition and better bass control, so possibly noise added to disc signal by its own crappy power supply. Now I need to decide if an EE1 post last mesh disc can add extra improvements on top! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I think there’s still some headroom. :grinning:

2 Likes

Just when it seems you’re running out of things to optimise, Big Brother will tempt you with newer, shinier, more optimal solutions for the things you thought you’d already optimised, but hadn’t.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate "
There is no hope once you enter the Naim Forum, is there?? :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

An update after a week of trials. Yesterday I got a Cisco WS-C2960C-8TC-L for €30. I was planning to get the WS-C2960-8TC-L, but the sample the shop had was broken, and I got the C version instead.

Last night I had some friends over; once they were properly inebriated :innocent:, I made them listen to 3 options:
A) Atlas Equator (3m) → Cisco → Chord Clearway (5m)
B) Chord Clearway (5m)
C) Chord Clearway (5m) → EE1 → Nordost Blue Heaven (2m)

The consensus was that the Cisco was killing the music: completely dry sounds with no power. So the Cisco experiment was short-lived :astonished:.
(B) and (C) were close, with preferences varying over the two. On a second (sober) listen this morning, we finally we reached the conclusion that (C) improves the soundstage, adds clarity and “sweetens” the sound a bit. So even though the price differential is huge, I bit the bullet and went for that… You live only once and so on… :innocent:

So all the cables are done and dusted and I can hopefully return to my sanity in 2024!

Regarding EE1 itself, I wouldn’t take it on its own just for the sake of it. But as an enabler for adding a last-mile expensive cable, it makes sense.

6 Likes

I think your dealer is making things up to sound knowledgeable. Even if buffer emptying is a thing, just starting a different song would have the same result.

It would indeed. However in my case I was trying to compare the same song back-to-back while my auditory memory was still fresh. In that case the song can keep playing from the streamer memory even after I disconnect the first ethernet cable.

So my approach was to play one song, then change cable/mute the amp/play (in fast forward) a couple of different songs and then unmute and play again my reference song. Just to be on the safe side!

So I’ve finally broke down and purchased one of these. Initial listen is positive but I’ll wait a bit before deciding if it’s a keeper or not.

4 Likes

Interesting to hear. Do you have other filters to compare too?

I don’t. With the help of this forum and a few online reviews but primarily a mate I know has 2 of them I figured “why not!!”.

Streaming is my primary source. This little device is helpful for sure. After last night’s listening session and hearing more detail/clarity in a few favorite tracks, I can’t see myself returning it.

5 Likes

I also got the EE1 a little while back.

Connections are now;
Gigalear router —> Chord Clearway streaming cable (0.75m) —> Netgear GS105 network switch —> Chord Clearway streaming cable (15m) —> EE8 network switch —> Chord Clearway streaming cable (0.75m —> EE1 network noise isolator —> Chord Epic streaming cable (2m) —> Linn Selekt DSM; Edition Hub.

It adds a bit more clarity, so I too, will be keeping it.

DG…

1 Like

Do you really need the Netgear switch ? Have you tried without it? Just curious

1 Like

Unfortunately, yes. As it feeds Ethernet cable into other parts of the house as the router has only one spare socket.

Might look to get a better switch, not an EE8, but something more akin for Hi-Fi.

Any suggestions.

DG…

Maybe then try to daisy chain two EE8, it will sound better than one Netgear to EE8, and you will have enough outlets for other components in your house. My recommendation. If you accept it :smile:

1 Like

Do you mean swap the Netgear for another EE8, or do you mean to run a cable back from the EE8 to the upstairs switch.

DG…

Swapping the Netgear for the EE8, so you will have only 2 X EE8, no Netgear anymore.

1 Like

It would be less expensive to just add another EE1 network noise isolator right before his Netgear switch. :-). Everything plugged into the Netgear will benefit some…

1 Like

I may run a cable back from the EE8 to the upstairs switch.

A 15m cable would be even cheaper.

DG…

2 Likes

Following forum members positive experiences with the EE1 and the very positive review in The Ear magazine, I’ve bought an EE1.
It has improved the clarity and detail of my Tidal Hi-Res streaming compared to not having it installed when back to back testing.
As others have reported not night and day improvements but certainly better than the sound quality I previously had.

5 Likes