English Premier League Season 2023/24

There are rules in place to protect against potential unfair advantage. I don’t know all the details but the principles are:

Firstly, transactions such as transfers should be demonstrably on arms-length terms. This is also true of sponsorship and other related-party deals.

Secondly there are restrictions on related teams playing in the same competition, to avoid conflicts of interest.

Hence I don’t have any issues with the concept of multi team groups.

But, but… Bob needs another reason why he can call them cheats.

1 Like

Bob just wants #116

1 Like

The cynical would say that The Cheats can sign players via another club to avoid ffp and so that another club cannot sign them and then when ffp is cleared sign them properly.

This way they can sign many of the young talented players from around the world without actually signing them.

I don’t think it works that way in practice Bob. Where commonly-owned clubs are involved in a transfer, players have to be sold at what is deemed (by the authorities), to be “fair value”. They cannot simply buy players from related clubs at a clear undervalue.

This happened to Newcastle in the summer when we sold Allan Saint Maximin to a Saudi Club, Al Ahli, also owned by PIF. £18m was the initial fee, which I thought was cheap…

Market value isn’t the point at all and is a bit of a smoke screen. Let’s say there is a young Brazilian superstar in the making that a club cannot buy because of FFP of course they do not want s rival to buy said scarlet so another team within the ownership group buys the player and banks them until FFP isn’t an issue for the first club.

If eventually the club do not want the player another team within the group can buy or even loan them or the player could be sold outside the group enriching the club who owns the players papers allowing them to then buy more young starlets and on and on.

Troyes is hardly going to be rich enough to bankroll players to bypass Citeh’s FFP requirements

Market value IS the point, with new PSR rules all around rolling profitability. Your anti Man City stance is verging on paranoia Bob. Time for you to move on…

Yep I’m all alone in my condemnation of The Cheats and of the shadey goings on with multi ownership groups of clubs just me and my paranoia.

1 Like

What the bloody hell has happened to Chelsea? Amazing performance and that goal from Enzo was something special

1 Like

I know as an lufc fan I must hate Chelsea but I find myself happily watching Villa getting undone here. Smith at Villa was the turning point of course. And tbf I’d much rather we took on Chelsea next round. It’s a free hit for us whoever we play.

1 Like

Have Chelsea now become a cup team? They look a very different team this evening to the one who capitulated at home to Wolves last weekend. As do Villa for that matter. :thinking:

Well done to Nottingham Forest too.

2 Likes

They crept in from an alternative universe and will have gone back by tomorrow

1 Like

Don’t worry – normality will return when Chilwell doesn’t play, and the likes of Sterling and Mudryk start.

2 Likes

I wore my lucky socks.

And then took them off before the game started.

Sorted.

2 Likes

Hopefully on your feet, as sometimes this season, wearing them over your head was probably required?! Seriously though, it’s good to see Gallagher doing so well. He’s got far more potential IMHO, he just needs complementary players around him.

Blue card is set to be introduced to football as part of sin-bin trials to be announced on Friday, reports Telegraph.

This has nothing to do with football anymore

Haven’t read about this.

But I’ve always thought that it was odd that players that constantly foul when playing your team don’t really get punished during that game (to your benefit) unless red-carded, but are punished later by missing future games. This could very well benefit your competitors instead of you !

A sin-bin would benefit the team suffering from the foul play.

3 Likes

And having been fouled the injured player, having received attention from the physio, has to stand on the sidelines whilst the side committing the foul happily plays on with their full 11. Could be crucial, especially at corners/dead ball situations.

2 Likes