English Premier League Season 2023/24

There’s a bit on the proposed ‘trial’ on the Beeb website. Not in the Prem, though. Probably end up with too many in the sin bin!

A sin bin might be a good start. After that, wipe out the cheating/diving, and sort out the dreadful penalty and offside laws.

1 Like

Rather than adding more reasons to slow down matches and infuriate fans why not sort out the mess we are already in with VAR and some of the ridiculous laws all ready in place.

8 Likes

Quite agree, start with VAR. I’m sick of waiting to see if a goal is a few mm offside or the slightest contact is worth a penalty.
You may have the odd mistake but that is within the acceptable area of human fallibility. Waiting five or six minutes for a dubious decision is not. It kills the game.

4 Likes

Why can’t all these problems be addressed at the same time ? VAR, blue cards…

There’s no waiting list for solving problems in the game.

1 Like

It’s been really interesting to watch FA cup matches where there has been no VAR - officials making quick decisions and no complaining about those decisions.
Taxi for Mr VAR!

4 Likes

…except by managers in the post-match interviews when those “quick decisions” go against their team

2 Likes

But they do that whether there is VAR or not! Managers are always going to complain. At least when there is no VAR the game just keeps flowing

1 Like

Fair point.

1 Like

I’m, probably like many, still trying to work out the jump in the operational brief of VAR from policing ‘clear & obvious errors’ to using a Sketchagraph (not built for mm accuracy) to determine off-sides. For many of us who have had to write instructional books/guidance notes/policy papers (including supporting rationale) in our working lives, one of the primary learnings is to understand the dynamics of the environment you are addressing/seeking to control. The more complex and dynamic things are, the more these things lend themselves to management by high level principles only, or else you end up with a telephone directory-sized handbook, which is precisely where VAR and things like the handball laws have gone.

The best advice I was ever given when officiating was ‘blow, point, play’ i.e. get the game restarted ASAP, for players will move swiftly on.

2 Likes

Can’t be much longer before ‘top flight’ football just disappears up its own bum.

2 Likes

I’m not confident !

2 Likes

Why? Two equal teams I’d say it’s totally 50/50.

Well, we were poor. And for a second game running, I was baffled by Ange’s substitutions.
And then one of Ange’s subs goes and scores an unlikely winner. Sorry @SiBrighton . That’s why he’s a coach and I’m a domino player.

We’ll take the 3 points though :grin:
Just behind the Cheat-obsessors now.

1 Like

All good. A fun game. Could have gone either way. Currently in the Beehive having a few beers. :grinning::beer::beer::beer::soccer:

2 Likes

Twelve Pins now. Plus a lager in the Uber.

Have met some spurs fans. They loved our chant of “you dirty northern b*********ds” :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Just back from another 3-2 defeat for Forest. I think that’s the sixth time we’ve lost by that margin this season. We played well enough but lacked the finishing touch - Awoniyi doesn’t look fully fit yet and Wood is injured. It didn’t help that we conceded 2 goals from set pieces and gave the ball away with a sloppy pass for the Newcastle winner. What’s more in Guimaraes they have a world class player who will no doubt go on to bigger and better things, probably not with Newcastle though.

1 Like

Luton sadly lacking today against a robust Sheff Utd side who knew how to frustrate us. No complaints. We could have been two down in the first six minutes such was our poor defending. Not one of the players (Barkley included) had a good game today which is a shame because taking three points would have pushed Sheff Utd further in the mire and lifted us to put more pressure on the teams above. Man Utd, Liverpool in the league next and then City in the Cup - lovely, easy…

Come on you IRONS !!!

A day when 99.999999999% of the world’s population supports Wet Spam !!!

Clearly a mistake not to start the LUFC legend & Bielsa protege Phillips. Running through treacle WHU. Weird.