English Premier League Season 2023/24

Hmmm…Havertz too, and that would have been a red for him. IIRC, VAR aren’t empowered to intervene with ‘simulation’ (cum cheating).

Not to defend the Havertz dive which was a blatant dive but his first yellow wasn’t a yellow in my opinion so it probably did even things out.

Thought Sundays game was excellent and it again showed that The Cheats can be got at. Anyway great results for us Gooners.

True, but VAR can rule out penalties for simulation (as not being a foul) so it is pointless to dive in the box.

Arsenal DNA taking effect. Luckily, Arteta’s bleating recently about how unfair all refs and VAR are towards them means that refs now think twice about pulling out cards for Gooner players. It’s a disgraceful tactic that sadly works.

Yes, City - Liverpool was a hugely entertaining game. Forest - Brighton more of dour encounter, but we (Forest) were again the victims of poor refereeing. The offence that led to the free-kick which resulted in Brighton scoring was not a foul because Omobamidele clearly played the ball first and not the player. What’s more Moder’s challenge on Williams clearly deserved a red card. Don’t take my word for it, all the MOTD pundits agreed on these points. In the end though whinging will do us no good, we just have to improve on our goal scoring or we’ll be doomed to relegation (regardless of any imminent points deduction). We’ll simply have to beat Luton on Saturday!

1 Like

which shouldn’t be a problem; we appear to have lost our complete first line of defenders (last 2 hobbled off against Palace), midfield is patched up, one attacker now long term injured with ACL and another missing with hamstring injury. We put one of our academy players in the deep end on Saturday - no one else left. This is the wrong part of the season to have such a horrendous injury list - especially when we are fighting for survival. I feel that your luck might have turned for the better - a great time to be playing us.

Great win on penalties for The Arsenal top of the league and into the last 16 of the Champions League…

1 Like

Cracking match, I wish the Champions League was on a network with wider coverage or there was a highlights show on terrestrial TV :tv: I

Yes it’s a real shame it’s not on ITV anymore.

1 Like

I always support the English or Scottish teams in Europe, so great to see Arsenal squeak through. They did struggle to assert their recent dominance against a very resolute team who were always a real threat on the break. Saka in particular was a shadow of his recent self; great penalties though, and 2 great saves by Raya. Let’s hope Arsenal and City are kept apart in the QF, and both teams avoid Real Madrid.

2 Likes

Was a compelling game. A game won and lost on penalties always leaves me with a feeling of anti climax - great for fans of the winning team of course. Arteta’s doing a great job. Pepe aged 41 was the fittest player on the pitch. What a terrific player he’s been/is. Shout out for Ødegaard too who stepped up to the plate big time I thought.

1 Like

Terrific pens by Arsenal. And saves!

1 Like

Cracking game - was expecting Porto to shut up shop and sit on their lead but they went for it until ET when they’d clearly settled for pens.

Good refereeing too - allowed lots of firm but fair challenges and rarely stood for playacting altho was surprised to see the other Pepe stay on after being shot. Meanwhile we get the whistling gnome Stroud.

1 Like

When you support Norwich it doesn’t seem to matter much…

Well, that is us just about screwed. How on earth can a side go from leading 3-0 and having more chances to crumbling and losing the game 4-3. Ah, that’s right, that is the Luton way. So frustrated. A great game for the Bournemouth fans and for the neutrals but for us Luton fans the large lady looms…

Inter miss 3 from 5 in the penalty shoot out. What a great stadium, atmosphere. Simeone consistently gets the best out of Athletico players.

Do you play Forest again? It’s far from over. Many, like me, will be hoping you survive. I doubt the 2 above you garner much support from neutrals.

Big showdown with Forest on Saturday. If we (Forest) don’t win then we deserve to go down. We have recently forgotten how to score and we have a tendency this season to lose from a winning position.

We have Forest this Saturday & then Spurs away then Arsenal away, Bournemouth at our place then City away - points may look to be in short supply unfortunately. I think that it is great that some folks want us to survive (as I do) because I believe we have contributed to some amazing games - there is always some drama in the Luton games, never a dull moment.

1 Like