English Premier League Season 2023/24

I’d say Southgate is our most successful manager since Alf Ramsey.
I think we often forget that at this level other countries have equally good players that effect our performance.

I give Southgate credit for playing his part in creating this current excellent England Squad and reuniting a footballing country after the previous dross but he is also at fault for creatively stifling them he has been in charge for 8 years and would have overseen four major tournaments at the end of this next Euros it’s a case of now or never.

As I’m currently reminded and bantered as an Arsenal supporter competing isn’t success trophies are and history will only remember trophies.

I think the reason Southgate is cautious is our weakness at the back.
Apart from Walker our back three is not up to the standard of the rest of the team.
Maguire and Stones fall well short of Ferdinand and Terry.

Really?

Stones is in a different class to Maguire.

That’s not saying much.

So true Bob. Southgate is as equally unsuccessful as every English manager since Ramsey. Zero trophies. He’s had 3 golden chances, 3 moments of truth, and has blown all 3…

1 Like

Gareth Southgate’s England have won 4 games in 25 against teams ranked inside the top 10, yes 4 in 25 that’s 16% just let that sink in when comparing him to Alf Ramsey and that with a team he has worked worth if you include U21 for going on 10 years.

I was basing the assessment on where we end up in Euros and World Cup where Southgate’s record stands up well against everybody since Ramsey.

Have you forgot he SAVED two penalties in the last euro final.

I doubt many, if any have done that and ended up on the losing side.

But for some ridiculously inept penalty takers, England would be European Champions.

Although I do agree with your assesment of the other players mentioned.

We should never have been taking penalties we lost to an Italy side that just a few months later couldn’t even qualify for the World Cup but why not blame the two teenagers sent up to take the two most important penalties this country has ever taken.

1 Like

Saka still unavailable for tonight’s game ? Does anyone know what’s actually wrong with him ?

If that’s the case, Pickford saved 2 of the 5 most important penalties England had ever faced. :grin:

The truth is, Pickford has got even better.

Coached by a ridiculously inept penalty taker

3 Likes

Got to be two of the worst football kits I’ve ever seen!

Nah. The Polish kit is quite nice.

1 Like

A real Easter Super Sunday in the EPL this weekend first up The Super Seagulls go to Anfield in the 12.30 kick off will the Mickey Mousers over come the Brighton hoodoo and go top because since November 2020 in 8 games Liverpool have beaten them only once with 4 draws and 3 losses so come on the Super Seagulls.

Then at 4.30 Arsenal go up to Manchester to play Asterix FC at the Emptyhad which could actually be full as apparently tickets have been given away free with purchases of Chips and Gravy at Eddie’s Fish & Chip Shop close to the ground although there are rumours that Eddie ran out newspaper last night and was wrapping the chips up in tickets instead.

All joking aside it will be a huge game as even though a draw isn’t a devastating blow to either side it suits Liverpool more and so I’m sure both sides will play to win there are injury doubts for Kyle Walker, Edison and John Stones who would especially be a big blow also is KDB fully fit yet or could he start from the bench?

For Arsenal there are doubts over Brazilians Martinelli and Gabriel both would be a big miss but either Jesus or Trossard can play wide right, it’s the Gabriel injury that would be most damaging although Jakub Kiwior has been playing really well at left back and is usually a left sided CB and fit again Tomiyasu can play left back.

We’ve not won there since 2015 our record is terrible against them away from home but I feel even though we really are capable of winning this time it will be a draw I just can’t see them giving up 3 points at this point as it will put them 4 points behind with just 9 games to go which could prove to much to make up. Should a cracking game though.

BUT, BUT, BUT… what about Saka ? I thought he was injured. He did miss both recent England matches after all. Rather than pulling a muscle, I hope he wasn’t pulling our leg…
Surely not.

1 Like

If Saka plays on Sunday, he should be banned from playing for England in the Euros. He can watch on TV with Ben White.

5 Likes

Unless you actually want England to do well (which I don’t, particularly.)

1 Like

Brilliant comeback by the Magpies looking forward to the MOTD tonight.

1 Like